• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

That 2005 BOD Spear tackle.... Some thoughts 7 years later?

Kovana it happened in 2005 mate, let it go. I bet we're all sick and tired of this. Hell if an AB moans about Bakkies Botha to me I'm going to tell him to calm the **** down, bakkies doesn't play anymore.

Difference is, Bakkies got cited for it.

I think you're missing my point, I'll paint you a word picture.

Motivational_pics-move_On.jpg

Or let's go dig up some other cows:

1995 alleged food poisoning
2007 forward pass try
2009 eye gouge
2011 sa vs aus

etc. etc.

Lads, I've always been a fan of hoisting a man up by the legs (albeit for different reasons) but I'm very much of the opinion that this tackle was unsound.

Ah here lad..

Last edited:
Sure, nice. Before we know it everyone is angry at eachother and LN7 is sitting in a corner hugging his knees and asking: "Why is mommy and daddy fighting" drooling beer

What foul play are you saying im trying to Justify? The Greyling incident? Are you crazy. Foul play is foul play. Full stop. Im just using that as point showing invictus how he can say the tackle on BOD was at worst just carelessness.

Also, i just thought it would be interesting to see peoples reactions 7 years on.

And apart from you, the other 2 kiwis here are just doing the same thing in regards to just waving it off as if it wasnt illegal at all.

Yeah, okay ... just can't see too much point in dredging up the past, that's all ... I put in the same catagory as the 2007 world cup forward pass in that regard (and I'm certainly not trying to equate the two, as BOD could have sustained a much worse injury than he got ... it was bad enough), just saying that there's no way that anything can bedone about it now that BOD would get any benefit, or that would effect the result ... as Cookie said ... time to move on

How long do people want to fecking well nurse this grievance?

FACT:
Umaga and Mealamu acted illegally; any way you slice it!

FACT: Whether or not it was intentional or unintentional is up for debate. Those who believe it was intentional will never believe it was unintentional, and vice versa.
* for the record I think it was unintentional; I believe neither player realised that the other had BOD by a leg, and I WILL NOT be convinced otherwise, so don't even bother trying!

FACT: they probably should have copped some sort of suspension, but they didn't.

FACT: It was seven years ago. Its a dead debate and a waste of time trying to revive it.

Kovana, I suggest you do three things....

1. Go down to your local DIY centre and buy some concrete and timber.
2. Use these materials to build a bridge.
3. then get over it!!

FACT: Whether or not it was intentional or unintentional is up for debate. Those who believe it was intentional will never believe it was unintentional, and vice versa.
* for the record I think it was unintentional; I believe neither player realised that the other had BOD by a leg, and I WILL NOT be convinced otherwise, so don't even bother trying!

LOL. unintentional.

Mealamu tipping and driving BODs head into the ground.. So very unintentional.

I suggest:

1. Buy some glasses.
2. Learn to SEE.

wtf-is-the-tj-doing-o.gif

Last edited:
Smartcooky decided to ramp it up.

No, I did NOT ramp it up at all.

In fact I acknowledged that what they did was WRONG and ILLEGAL, and I acknowledged that people had the right to have THEIR OWN OPINIONS ABOUT IT!!!

YOU ramped it up by even starting such a fvcking retarded topic in the first place.

Have a look at this video, if you have the guts to

That spear tackle by Tuquiri was every bit as dangerous and could have led to the same degree of serious injuries to McCaw as Umaga & Mealamu's could have to BOD

Do you see thousands of kiwi posters going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about it six years later? No, of course no, because its done & dusted and we've moved on to more important things. That might be because ee make allowances for brain-dead mungoballers who don't know any better, but nonetheless we HAVE moved on.

I suggest you do the same!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna start a new topic. Who thinks Kovana is an idiot?

It was a spear tackle that happened 7 years ago, and rightly or wrongly it missed punishment. It wasn't the first time this had happened and it isn't the last since. It's also not the worst incident of foul play before or since then to go unpunished. BOD's reaction was equally as embarrasing, milking it to the press for everything it was worth, so we still talk about it 7 years later. Flogging this particular dead horse isn't something I'm suprised has come from you, seeing as you take every chance to have a crack at New Zealand and its players. You're either a persistant troll or a very bitter person.

I wanna start a new topic. Who thinks Kovana is an idiot?

It was a spear tackle that happened 7 years ago, and rightly or wrongly it missed punishment. It wasn't the first time this had happened and it isn't the last since. It's also not the worst incident of foul play before or since then to go unpunished. BOD's reaction was equally as embarrasing, milking it to the press for everything it was worth, so we still talk about it 7 years later. Flogging this particular dead horse isn't something I'm suprised has come from you, seeing as you take every chance to have a crack at New Zealand and its players. You're either a persistant troll or a very bitter person.

********. BOD is a gent. He was in this situation as well. Alistar Campbell and the British press blew his reaction way out of proportion. I'll nut you if you say otherwise.

I'm no fan of Alistair Campbell but really how do you blow an incident, where the Lions captain is double power-bombed (for real, not WWE) off the ball by the opposition captain and hooker to the tune of a dislocated shoulder and missing the series while the perpetrators continue unpunished, out of proportion?

It's one of rugby's most shameful episodes and thankfully since then the IRB have since tightened up on lifting players both in the tackle and on the clean-out.

Last edited:
********. BOD is a gent. He was in this situation as well. Alistar Campbell and the British press blew his reaction way out of proportion. I'll nut you if you say otherwise.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. The Dog and Pony show that he and SCW put on in the aftermath was almost as big a disgrace in its own way as the foul play itself. It was largely that use of public spin-doctoring that really got the New Zealand fans backs up. We have always been distrustful of the motives of the British media and with good "Reason". This was a perfect example that proved the point to them.

IMO, it was a huge miscalculation on the part of Alistair Campbell. I'd venture to say, that, if SCW had simply made a complaint to the NZRU and the iRB and didn't try to win the hearts and minds of the NZ public by taking the "smoke & mirrors" approach, he may have got a lot more than he got ... which was nothing but aggravation. The All Blacks felt that their captain was under attack from the British media, so they took up a siege mentality. They became bloody determined to come out fighting, and the result was that what was supposedly the best and most well prepared Lions team to ever leave the British Isles was sent home with is tail firmly tucked under its arse.

I'm no fan of Alistair Campbell but really how do you blow an incident, where the Lions captain is double power-bombed (for real, not WWE) off the ball by the opposition captain and hooker to the tune of a dislocated shoulder and missing the series while the perpetrators continue unpunished, out of proportion?

I don't think he's talking about the incident itself Colombia, he's talking about the way Alistair Campbell portrayed BOD's reaction to it.

Last edited:
Even thou they are Samoan, i also lost some respect for Tana as well.

But mealamu is another case, he has form, i think he is a grubby little character who pretends to be a nice guy. That match where he head butted another player and WAS Caught was priceless. I thought his ban would have been longer... and the outrage shown by some of the NZ media saying the ban was uncalled for was just crazy.

Could not have said it better especially as the "man of GOD" card was played to lessen his ban!! I am not sure the toe rag even pretends to be the nice guy.

On the actual incident, you will hard pressed to convince me that this was not part of a prepared plan to get the Captain. Also the enforement of rules against spear tackling did come in shortly after and a DIRECT RESULT OF THIS SPEAR TACKLE!!

Could not have said it better especially as the "man of GOD" card was played to lessen his ban!! I am not sure the toe rag even pretends to be the nice guy.

On the actual incident, you will hard pressed to convince me that this was not part of a prepared plan to get the Captain. Also the enforement of rules against spear tackling did come in shortly after and a DIRECT RESULT OF THIS SPEAR TACKLE!!

That sort of comment is so ridiculous that I can't fathom how someone could even think that to be true. In what world would the coaches and /or players of the AB's formulate a plan to intentionally injure someone? Do you think O'Driscoll was such a huge threat to them that they would seriously agree that should the opportunity arise they should try their best to cause him a serious injury?

Think about how likely that scenario is.

Then weigh that against this scenario: it is the first few minutes of a long awaited Lions tour, both teams are obviously very hyped up, Umaga and Mealamu grab him in an awkward position, are over rigorous/aggressive and do something pretty stupid/reckless/dangerous in the heat of the moment.

Surely any rational person sides with that second scenario.

On the actual incident, you will hard pressed to convince me that this was not part of a prepared plan to get the Captain. Also the enforcement of rules against spear tackling did come in shortly after and a DIRECT RESULT OF THIS SPEAR TACKLE!!

Its was four years later (2009 for the now famous "Spear Tackle" memorandum) but I guess, when the wheels of the iRB grind as slow as they do, that's about as direct as you'll ever get.

By the way, Dylan Hartkey's elbow to McCaw's head in the same match was every bit as bad, as Mealamu's strike with the head. BOTH were red card offences, but of course, Hartley was not cited... nothing new here then!!!

Latest posts