• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Plenty to be positive about for Lions fans...only one playmaker on the field for the ABs as opposed to the two they had on last week in Barret and Cruden..
...only one fullback fielded this time as opposed to the two they had on last week...and the Lions have already outplayed Dagg in the Crusaders game so have his measure...

...then there is the two new AB starters with questionable defensive records Hansen has gambled on ...Naholo especially not comfortable under the high ball so can see a few bombs going his way..

It's do or die for the Lions so time to throw caution to the wind and attack - summon the inner berserker... play the ABs at their own game...there's plenty of classy backs in the Lions to do it....the bookies have written the Lions off paying $5.50 so great motivation...fill your boots..

Must add I feel for guys like Cole Best Marler and Lawes who had to be flogged because Gatland f'ed up then ruined these guys too. Best may have had a chance as would Marler and Lawes will be in 23 but there is no way they will be at 100% which is needed. Why because Gatland literally over 2 tours has destroyed very thing meaningful and fun in Lions.

The two things naholo regularly brings for the highlanders other than his headline grabbing stuff is

A) turn overs, he's got very good D and knows to get to his feet and go for the ball

B) combo with a smith down the blindside , the two of them have got a lot of meters down the blindside when everyone else was looking wide

The two things naholo regularly brings for the highlanders other than his headline grabbing stuff is

A) turn overs, he's got very good D and knows to get to his feet and go for the ball

B) combo with a smith down the blindside , the two of them have got a lot of meters down the blindside when everyone else was looking wide

Plenty to be positive about for Lions fans...only one playmaker on the field for the ABs as opposed to the two they had on last week in Barret and Cruden..
...only one fullback fielded this time as opposed to the two they had on last week...and the Lions have already outplayed Dagg in the Crusaders game so have his measure...

...then there is the two new AB starters with questionable defensive records Hansen has gambled on ...Naholo especially not comfortable under the high ball so can see a few bombs going his way..

It's do or die for the Lions so time to throw caution to the wind and attack - summon the inner berserker... play the ABs at their own game...there's plenty of classy backs in the Lions to do it....the bookies have written the Lions off paying $5.50 so great motivation...fill your boots..

...he loves the high ball

Must add I feel for guys like Cole Best Marler and Lawes who had to be flogged because Gatland f'ed up then ruined these guys too. Best may have had a chance as would Marler and Lawes will be in 23 but there is no way they will be at 100% which is needed. Why because Gatland literally over 2 tours has destroyed very thing meaningful and fun in Lions.
whilst I agree about marler and laws I disagree about gatland ruining this tour. this tour is heaps better than anyone envisioned. who would've thought that playing the super teams would be so beneficial for the lions?
lions have really come to play and have played with passion and honour.
all the super teams were supposed to dominate. lions took on each super team and imo have gotten better after each encounter. these lions players I reckon will all go on to be greats after this experience.
this tour is much better than the aussie tour was

whilst I agree about marler and laws I disagree about gatland ruining this tour. this tour is heaps better than anyone envisioned. who would've thought that playing the super teams would be so beneficial for the lions?
lions have really come to play and have played with passion and honour.
all the super teams were supposed to dominate. lions took on each super team and imo have gotten better after each encounter. these lions players I reckon will all go on to be greats after this experience.
this tour is much better than the aussie tour was
On tour I'd disagree. This side of world people are loosing interest and Gatland actions over last 2 tours have soured it for most. Yes it's been good the Super Rugby teams strengthened up but Lions have been so politically dominated that it just means its a novelty. Like if Lions loose all tests noone will really care. I'm actually much happier guys like Ringrose were left go with Ireland and learnt to be valuable leader in a squad that is meaningful after summer to him. I'd even argue the highlight of Lions so far for me is Haskell on social media

Rumors per another report

Mako
George
Furlong
Itoje
Kruis
Warburton
O'Brien
Faletau
Murray
Farrell
Watson
Te'o
Davies
Daly
Williams

Owens
McGrath
Sinckler
Lawes
Tipuric
Webb
Sexton
Halfpenny/North

I'd even argue the highlight of Lions so far for me is Haskell on social media

Him teaching Best and Stander how to use instagram was pretty great. Stander saying he loved it because you could see farm photos on there, then showing off a photo he'd found of a JCB with 5 bails of hay on it

Him teaching Best and Stander how to use instagram was pretty great. Stander saying he loved it because you could see farm photos on there, then showing off a photo he'd found of a JCB with 5 bails of hay on it
That is CJ to a tee. Even better was tonight Seanie trying to teach him sing a comic song from Ireland. I don't care what anyone says Haskell going was a correct call as he had a good season and is a great guy for morale in a squad

Kinda expecting this back like for the 2nd test;

9.A.Smith
10.B.Barrett
11.R.Ioane
12.SBW
13.ALB
14.Naholo
15.Dagg

21.TJ 22.Cruden 23.Laumape

Glad they went with this. I think it's our strongest possible backline currently.

Juliian looks to be well and truly on the fringes. If NMS finds another gear he would likely jump the queue ahead of him.

Sadly for Julian he will probably be listening to overseas offers after this season. He's been great, but his limitations and lack of versatility are starting to catch up with him as the ABs evolve and require more of a skillset at 11.

Naholo is great under the highball. He's not a gamble.

I'm happy ALB is starting too. Links the backline better than anyone.

Last edited:
No Jordie, but my hope of seeing the 'Canes 9,10 and 12 combo on at same time lives on - maybe with Ardie as well. The world got a taste of Laumape on Tuesday when he was missing the AB 9 and 10 inside him. I started watching test rugby in early 1950's at Athletic Park when Wellington provided 8 backs to the ABs, and I remain 100% confident this combo is the best I have ever seen. The Lions could be very dangerous in the first half as they were in the first test, but then the guys who know how to score trys will come off the AB bench and add the razzle dazzle we all love to see.

Lions 2nd Test Team:
1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Jones
6. Warburton (c)
7. O'Brien
8. Faletau
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Davies
14. Watson
15. Williams

16. Owens
17. McGrath
18. Sinckler
19. Lawes
20. Stander
21. Webb
22. Te'o
23. Nowell

Pleasantly shocked by Faz at 12. In that regard Garland seems to be seeing the light.

That's where my praise ends. The inclusion of Jones over literally any other lock and Warburton over POM or Tipuric is frankly disgraceful, Gatland's Welsh bias and his bias in particular to his captains (Warbs and Jones) is infuriating. I hope the Lions win but I'll be almost bitterly pleased when we don't as it will truly put the final nail in Gatland's coffin as a respected coach. He has single handedly turned this tour into a mockery. When no one is truly supporting the Lions with their hearts it will be because of him causing us to lose any faith in our team.

I'm sorry for the rant, I usually try to contain strong opinions on matter like this but it's truly upsetting to see possibly the greatest tradition in our sport ruined by one man. I feel truly sorry for the Welsh who have been stuck with him for years and will continue to be stuck with him until 2019. I think that now I have experienced a sample of your frustration.

Last edited:
Very surprised at Sexton Farrell getting the nod.
As I mentioned before I think it's our best 10/12, however I question whether gatland and Howley can work them.

Don't like 5 or 6. Surprised at Stander on the bench, He gives it his all but he's running on fumes. POM didn't deserve to drop out of the 23, he's been the standout 6. Henderson a victim of Gatlands crap management, he played an absolute blinder but had to play the 80 (Well 70) so gatland probably didn't even consider him
Surprised, but pleased, at Nowell on the bench. First time Halfpenny has been fit but not picked for any gatland/Howley coached side?

wow teo on the bench.
i dont see why AWJ and warburton get to start. neither contributed much last test.

While Warburtons form is average and hes only recently back from (another) injury, I can understand Gats feeling the need to change things. POM played well, but really wasn't able to slow ball down at all. I think this is just a total risk play by Gatland, hoping his favourite captain can conjure up the sort of form he has shown in the past. But yeah, based on form alone this isn't a good pick.

Also AWJ. He hasnt been as bad as many have made out, however he hasn't been at a level that's good enoguh to help beat the AB's, whereas the others have shown glimpses of that x factor. Lucky to make the 23 let alone the 15.

At least this time the bench is pretty loaded with some real impact players, whereas last week when we went behind there was little to offer from the bench.

Latest posts