• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 1: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Congratulations to Steve Hansen and the mighty All Blacks, that was a bruising encounter.

Fantstic end to end try by the Lions, just class.

Gatlands line about Super Rugby teams being the same thing as the All Blacks just died away...

Kiern Read and Kaino are awesome. Just ... awesome.
Whitelock and Retallick made life very hard for Kruis, who had a poor game. AWJ seemed like it was all happening too quickly for him...
Next week start with Lawes and Itoje. The Lion's locks simply have to be more physical.

Final score is a bit flattering but the AB's are only just getting into gear, from here on in they will get better.

Is anyone else concerned that neither of our wingers are wingers? I think it got found out a couple of times today both in attack and defence (Daly's positioning for his missed try and him not dealing with the high ball for Ioane's 2nd. Feel that should've been his, not Williams')

It's ok to talk about leaving tries on the field but that's what happens when you have an invitational side . Imo it's becoming a waste of time . There's not much chance England would beat the ABs and they are together 15 weeks a year (at a guess) there's no way the lions can win when they are together for 5 weeks . It's time to look at alternatives imo maybe a tour up in the NH ? Home advantage may act as a leveller ?

This argument will always come up when the Lions lose. But NZ will always be the hardest of the 3 SH sides to play. I still fancy the Lions chances v the Boks and the Wallabies in the next decade or so. Especially the latter seeing how fast the game is declining over there. ARU will never say no to the Lions touring there as it makes them a tidy profit. Plus Lions fans will always flock there for the weather, beaches etc.

Is anyone else concerned that neither of our wingers are wingers? I think it got found out a couple of times today both in attack and defence (Daly's positioning for his missed try and him not dealing with the high ball for Ioane's 2nd. Feel that should've been his, not Williams')

at the same time Ioane did one of our Wingers who is a regular winger twice as well for the blues Just one of those things.

This argument will always come up when the Lions lose. But NZ will always be the hardest of the 3 SH sides to play. I still fancy the Lions chances v the Boks and the Wallabies in the next decade or so. Especially the latter seeing how fast the game is declining over there. ARU will never say no to the Lions touring there as it makes them a tidy profit. Plus Lions fans will always flock there for the weather, beaches etc.

Maybe, but I'll always use the Ryder cup as an example . There was no spectacle when it was GB and I vs USA but when it became Europe and USA we ended up having one of the greatest rivalries in world sport . To me it's not what it is it's what it could be ..... to be fair it's not helped that the NZRU took the **** with the schedule

Yup Daly was definitely out of position on that occasion. However, the back three should be able to deal with high balls and as a fullback, Williams should be the most capable player for defusing bombs. He messed up and the try ensued. Bad technique above all is to blame.

Is anyone else concerned that neither of our wingers are wingers?
Watson's as much a winger as he is a FB IMO, more so really. 26 international caps there and (i think?) more club time there than 15.

Daly showed, today, what I've been saying all along - supremely talented player and shines on the wing because of that....but he's not a winger, and his positioning/reading of the game shows it. Still think he should play there ATM, though, as no one else is really putting their hands up. Nowell had great game on Tuesday but a couple of stinkers before. Seymour has looked OK but nothing special. North has been almost completely anonymous (though can switch it on at anytime).

North has been almost completely anonymous (though can switch it on at anytime).
I'd give him the 23 shirt regardless of how he plays midweek for the reason you say, he's due a big performance and not been picked for the 1st test will have been a wake up call for him...

Maybe, but I'll always use the Ryder cup as an example . There was no spectacle when it was GB and I vs USA but when it became Europe and USA we ended up having one of the greatest rivalries in world sport . To me it's not what it is it's what it could be ..... to be fair it's not helped that the NZRU took the **** with the schedule

Yep the schedule is a **** take I agree. But the first test really exposed how much better the ABs are at the breakdown compared to the Lions. Geech commented about their lower body positions in the contact. That is technical aspect that has nothing to do with the schedule. AB players are just better at this aspect. Combine that with their spatial awareness, offloading and passing ability in close contact, then you have a potent mix and the current gold standard in international rugby.

The thing is the ABs have been up to play the four home nations in November at the end of their long season and still done the Grand Slam 4 times.

Still it would defeat the object of NZ coming up here and playing the Lions where the Lions are at home, as the whole point of the Lions is that you build a side on tour. I still think most rugby fans still want to see the Lions and their place should be protected in the four yearly cycle even if they lose more than they win.

Watson's as much a winger as he is a FB IMO, more so really. 26 international caps there and (i think?) more club time there than 15.

Daly showed, today, what I've been saying all along - supremely talented player and shines on the wing because of that....but he's not a winger, and his positioning/reading of the game shows it. Still think he should play there ATM, though, as no one else is really putting their hands up. Nowell had great game on Tuesday but a couple of stinkers before. Seymour has looked OK but nothing special. North has been almost completely anonymous (though can switch it on at anytime).

Gatland's tactics only really allows for Daly to play on the wing as he's not going to displace the more physical centres.

I hope Nowell and Seymour start on Tuesday. Seymour had to contend with Naholo in the Highlanders game (most of our wingers would have struggled) but showed how good he is in the air with his try. I also hope Russell and Gareth Davies get a run out. If we get 80 minutes of Biggar and Laidlaw again I'll be pulling my hair out.

I'd give him the 23 shirt regardless of how he plays midweek for the reason you say, he's due a big performance and not been picked for the 1st test will have been a wake up call for him...

I'd think he would need a big performance in midweek. Other players have performed better or offer more versatility for me.

That really doesn't sound right, but have a like until I can check for myself

No need to check, I actually did while waiting for my dinner to cook :p
I couldn't be arsed going further back, but I'd be surprised if he's started more at 15 than wing in his career, even if fullback is his main position going forwards.
My point was just that it's a disservice saying he's not a winger, as he's played as much there as fullback (especially factoring in his 26 caps there, which is as many games as a club season).

But Gatland could have rejected the schedule if he wanted to, but he didn't, and further, he supports it

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...can-work-in-their-favour-20170421-gvphz4.html

You've got to check who writes the article before you click it with WOL. If it's Andy Howell, he literally writes sensationalist and nonsense drivel for the sole purpose of clickbait. I'll only read Simon Thomas' work as, for the most part, he is a little more objective.

Simon Thomas nods towards being objective but is pretty partisan!

I don't think any coach could have avoided a 3-0 series defeat but the lack of plan for phased back play was frustrating, and I wonder if some of the handling errors would have been avoided if we'd practiced being more adventurous in the warm ups. Still, we had a great try and brief window of hope, which is probably all we can hope for!

No need to check, I actually did while waiting for my dinner to cook :p
I couldn't be arsed going further back, but I'd be surprised if he's started more at 15 than wing in his career, even if fullback is his main position going forwards.
My point was just that it's a disservice saying he's not a winger, as he's played as much there as fullback (especially factoring in his 26 caps there, which is as many games as a club season).
I'm only getting 12 starts for him (for Bath) this season; with 6 in each position - I'd forgotten the Todd arrived saying that Anthony was a wing not a FB and hadn't changed his mind until March (AW's first 5 matches under Todd were all on the wing). I'm probably having my memory coloured from his time under MFord and GGold - where he was absolutely a FB unless injuries elsewhere pushed him to wing.

I would absolutely agree with your underlying point though saying that he is perfectly comfortable on the wing.

Latest posts