• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Crusaders - Bulls in Christchurch (21/07/2012)

Ah, sorry man ;) I just cannot ger rid of this virus that keeps me focussed on the Sharks all the time. My friends here in Holland call me Rugby Rainman for some strange reason.

Crusaders-Bulls. Game on!

Looks like someone needs that little lesson what is a forward pass in rugby as most are forward passes but because of 2 bodies moving forward while making the pass its not really forward. Try throwing a rugby ball out of a car while driving 30 and see what I mean

Well, I think I know more about the rugby rules than you, but whatever. A forward pass is a pass where the point of catching the ball is in front of the point of releasing the ball. Whether the players move in the same direction doesn't change a damn thing. If 2 players move forward together, the receiving player has to hold back to make sure he is behind the player in posession of the ball to avoid the ball being caught ahead of the point where it was thrown.

Well, I think I know more about the rugby rules than you, but whatever. A forward pass is a pass where the point of catching the ball is in front of the point of releasing the ball. Whether the players move in the same direction doesn't change a damn thing. If 2 players move forward together, the receiving player has to hold back to make sure he is behind the player in posession of the ball to avoid the ball being caught ahead of the point where it was thrown.

I think you will find that you are very wrong sorry haha. You can be running and throw a ball back over your head and it ends up travelling metres forward from where you passed it, the best way to judge a forward pass is when the ball comes forward out of the hands not flat or backwards. This video should explain it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

Every pass that goes even 1 cm forward, is a forward pass. It's difficult to see with passes almost flat and on tv, the view is always at an angle, but the forward-pass rule is the easiest of them all. The only exception is when a ball goes forward after hitting the ground. If the intial motion of the ball was flat or backwards, that is considered a valid pass. When passing at high pace, it's difficult to get the ball in a backwards motion, but that doesn't change the rule on the matter.

Yes, the forward pass rule is one that is, thankfully, not implemented as a scientific factual manner and that is impossible to police on-field in that manner anyway. Refs look at the action of the passer as the main indication as most passes at pace do in fact go some way forward.

Yes, the forward pass rule is one that is, thankfully, not implemented as a scientific factual manner and that is impossible to police on-field in that manner anyway. Refs look at the action of the passer as the main indication as most passes at pace do in fact go some way forward.

agree 100% and also nowadays the refs look at the motion of the hands and to which angle they are directed when making the pass.

I did not imply you do not know the rules nor that I know more about it than you. I was just trying to set a little misconception straight. Anyways "forward pass" is jargon as nowhere in the rules it say anything about the term "forward pass".

That scientific reason is why the referee look at the wrist action as a indication. But did you watch that video?

From the website of the IRB:

DEFINITION: THROW FORWARD
A throw forward occurs when a player throws or passes the ball forward. 'Forward' means towards the opposing team's dead ball line.

And I found this:

12.1 THE OUTCOME OF A KNOCK-ON OR THROW FORWARD
(a) Unintentional knock-on or throw forward. A scrum is awarded at the place of infringement.

(b) Unintentional knock-on or throw forward at a lineout. A scrum is awarded 15 metres from the touchline.

(c) Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents' in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.

(d) Knock-on or throw forward inside the in-goal. If a player of either team knocks-on or throws-forward inside the in-goal, a 5-metre scrum is awarded in line with the place of infringement not closer than 5 metres from the touchline.

(e) Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.
Sanction: Penalty kick. A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored.

From the website of the IRB:

And I found this:
Yes I see. "Throw forward" not forward pass and you missed a important part there.

EXCEPTION
Bounce forward. If the ball is not thrown forward but it hits a player or the
ground and bounces forward, this is not a throw forward.

Ehm, I actually mentioned that point in one of my previous messages. By hitting a player, it has to be an opposing player though, otherwise it's lost forward or, if the ball-carrying player walks into his teammate, it's accidental offside.

Ehm, I actually mentioned that point in one of my previous messages. By hitting a player, it has to be an opposing player though, otherwise it's lost forward or, if the ball-carrying player walks into his teammate, it's accidental offside.

Nope.

DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes
forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm
, or when the
ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or
another player before the original player can catch it.
'Forward' means towards the opposing team's dead ball line.
Note there is nothing that states opposing player. Any player. If you pass the ball it hits the ground and then go forward its not forward. If you hit your own team mate or he heads it forward its not forward. If it hits his chest its not forward. To throw it at your own team mate and to apply the accidental offside rule a person must be close to playing grid iron which will mean its a intentional throw forward.

Nope.

Note there is nothing that states opposing player. Any player. If you pass the ball it hits the ground and then go forward its not forward. If you hit your own team mate or he heads it forward its not forward. If it hits his chest its not forward. To throw it at your own team mate and to apply the accidental offside rule a person must be close to playing grid iron which will mean its a intentional throw forward.

I can think of many times when this has applied. For example when there is a kick off and a player knocks it forward for a player infront to then catch/pick it up.

I can think of many times when this has applied. For example when there is a kick off and a player knocks it forward for a player infront to then catch/pick it up.

That is with a knock on not a throw forward. This is accidental offside

(a) When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying
it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player's team gains no advantage from this, play
continues. If the player's team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing
team throwing in the ball.
(b) When a player hands the ball to a team-mate in front of the first player, the receiver is
offside. Unless the receiver is considered to be intentionally offside (in which case a penalty
kick is awarded), the receiver is accidentally offside and a scrum is formed with the
opposing team throwing in the ball.

But if you prevent the opposition from gaining a advantage its a penalty and not accidental.

11.7 OFFSIDE AFTER A KNOCK-ON
When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is
liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage.
Sanction: Penalty kick

Tell me what your point is for starting this whole debate....

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts