• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Crusaders - Bulls in Christchurch (21/07/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby%202012%20play-offs.png

Rugby League Park, Christchurch
Crusaders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Bulls.png

Referee: TBA

The no. 4 and 5 meet in Christchurch to start off the play offs this year. The Crusaders play at home, hosting the Bulls, who qualified by beating the Lions in the final match of the regular season. The Crusaders smashed the Force earlier that day to secure the 4th spot and a home play-off match.

The match will take place on Saturday 21/07/2012 with the time of the kick-off yet to be announced.

I like those Crusaders by 7 odds in Cristchurch all day long, using the all the credits the Bulls got me at the expense of the Lions so I guess now it's their turn.

I love this time of year. After the Highlanders inevitably miss out on the playoffs I become a Crusaders supporter by default. It is nice to support a good team for a change :)

By the sounds of it Read is a 50:50 chance of starting for the Crusaders this week. It will be a massive boost for the Crusaders if he is fit, as I think he is the single most important player in the Crusaders at the moment - in a team that includes McCaw and Carter that is certainly saying something! I'd predict the following 22 for the Crusaders:

B Franks, Flynn, O Franks, Romano, S Whitelock, G Whitelock, McCaw, Read, Ellis, Carter, Guildford, Crotty, Fruean, A Whitelock, Dagg
Bench: MacDonald, Crockett, Donnelly, Todd, Heinz, Taylor, Maitland.

Personally I'd prefer if Maitland and Adam Whitelock swapped places, but I think Blackadder will stick with Whitelock in the starting lineup. The only real question mark is LH prop, as I think it is 50:50 whether they start Crockett or Ben Franks. If Read is out I'd expect we will see 7. Todd, 8. McCaw, 19. L Whitelock (like last week).

I'm really not looking forward to this coming weekend, because I have to attend a funeral and this game.

Even though the Bulls have beaten the Crusaders already this year, I don't think they'll do it again, and this time it's not at Loftus.

I'm really not looking forward to this coming weekend, because I have to attend a funeral and this game.

Even though the Bulls have beaten the Crusaders already this year, I don't think they'll do it again, and this time it's not at Loftus.

What do you predict the Bulls team will look like? I've been a bit surprised in recent weeks that that have started D Potgieter ahead of CJ Stander at 6. Do you know if van der Merwe will be fit? I feel his physical play is vital for the Bulls.

Saders team picks itself really, if Read is out the backrow that started against the Force will start again.

I am not sure what Toddy is going to do with regards to Maitland/Whitelock. The Bulls have two of the fastest wingers in the comp so I feel we would be better served with Maitland out there, but in saying the Whitelock is a good defensive winger but he is not the out 'n out finisher Maitland is.

My other concern is T Taylor, he may be able to kick goals but friggen'ell, he has no idea how to run a backline. I wish Blyandaal took his chance better when given the opportunity very early on in the season, even so, I would rather see him on the bench for this one.

Let's hope the Bulls don't make any false, nasty allegations this weekend.;)

What do you predict the Bulls team will look like? I've been a bit surprised in recent weeks that that have started D Potgieter ahead of CJ Stander at 6. Do you know if van der Merwe will be fit? I feel his physical play is vital for the Bulls.

I have no Idea how the Bulls team will look... but my guess is that Deon Stegmann will feature, as he's our best fetcher and will aid our quick forward ball gameplan with our big runners, so I think we could see both Stander and Dewald Potgieter on the Bench, as Potgieter can cover lock as well.

Flip will play, the Doc said that his hip injury will rule him out for only a week as it was merely a bruise that had to heal up.

What hasn't impressed me at all the last 3 games is Frans Ludeke sending out 3-5 subs onto the field at the 50 minute mark... it completely breaks our momentum and guys like Wilhelm Steemkamp just f**** around and don't contribute at all...

Saders team picks itself really, if Read is out the backrow that started against the Force will start again.

I am not sure what Toddy is going to do with regards to Maitland/Whitelock. The Bulls have two of the fastest wingers in the comp so I feel we would be better served with Maitland out there, but in saying the Whitelock is a good defensive winger but he is not the out 'n out finisher Maitland is.

My other concern is T Taylor, he may be able to kick goals but friggen'ell, he has no idea how to run a backline. I wish Blyandaal took his chance better when given the opportunity very early on in the season, even so, I would rather see him on the bench for this one.

Let's hope the Bulls don't make any false, nasty allegations this weekend.;)
WTF are you saying???

Don't worry Sharks and Bulls. If all else fails there is always Plan K and P. Kaplan and Peyper. Disappointed that Jonker did not get the Bulls match...

I have no Idea how the Bulls team will look... but my guess is that Deon Stegmann will feature, as he's our best fetcher and will aid our quick forward ball gameplan with our big runners, so I think we could see both Stander and Dewald Potgieter on the Bench, as Potgieter can cover lock as well.

Flip will play, the Doc said that his hip injury will rule him out for only a week as it was merely a bruise that had to heal up.

What hasn't impressed me at all the last 3 games is Frans Ludeke sending out 3-5 subs onto the field at the 50 minute mark... it completely breaks our momentum and guys like Wilhelm Steemkamp just f**** around and don't contribute at all...

WTF are you saying???

Just having a light hearted dig at the Bulls after what happened the last time these two teams met, hence the emoticon.

Good luck to both teams by the way.

Can't call a winner here. Going to be one hell of a game
They do love each other now...

would like to think the Crusaders would take this easy they do seem like the team to beat. But the Bulls are a good side and I really haven't seen much of them this season. Due to the times and new format I see very little of the SA sides. So in that regard I'm looking forward to this game.

It ain't going to be easy for the Saders. The Bulls will use their big forwards to rumble it up the guts and if we don't stop them getting a roll on we are going to be in trouble.
I can see the Bulls using the maul a lot off the back of lineouts and it is something all kiwi teams have struggled to stop legally over the course of the comp.

Still, Saders have too muck class for the Bulls I think and with home ground advantage (travel factor) I see the Saders winning this by 15.

Super Rugby play-off no. 1

PO1.png

With the final round of the regular season behind us, we have the 6 remaining teams. The 4 teams heading into the play-offs are determined to make it to the semi's. Who has the best chance? What are the stats head-to-head? And what can history tell us about the results coming on Saturday?

When looking at the first match of the play-offs, we see the Bulls travelling to Christchurch. These 2 teams have 10 championships combined and are the most succesfull teams in the competition. During the years of Super Rugby, dating back to 1996, the Bulls made the play-offs 6 times in total. They met the Crusaders in 4 of those 6 seasons. These 2 teams have a huge play-off history between them. Will this affect the teams in the build-up towards this play-off? Let's see and find out.

This Saturday will be the 5th play-off match between the 2 teams, but only the second one being played in Christchurch. In 2006, the match in Christchurch was an easy victory for the hosts as they thrashed the Bulls 35-15, with 5 tries to 2. Some of the players who were playing in 2006 are still with the teams. The Bulls still have Wynand Olivier, Morne Steyn, Pierre Spies and Akona Ndungane, while the Crusaders still have Wyatt Crockett, Corey Flynn, Richie McCaw, Andy Ellis and Dan Carter in the team. The Crusaders went on to win the ***le a week later, defeating the Hurricanes at Jade Stadium.

The other play-off matches between the two were all played in South Africa, though not all were played at Loftus Versfeld, but I will get onto that in a minute. In 2007 the top 4 was made up of 2 South African sides and 2 New Zealand sides. Again, the Bulls and Crusaders played against each other, this time in Pretoria. 53,000 people showed up for the match, but it ended without a single try. 27-12 was the final score, with a drop-goal by Derick Hougaard being the only open play-score. The Bulls went on to win the ***le a week later, by a controversial last-minute try by Bryan Habana, a moment that all South Africans will remember for years to come. They beat the Sharks, in Durban and became the first South African side to win the ***le.

Spies.png

While the Bulls missed out on the play-offs a year later, they were back in 2009, and so were the Crusaders. The Crusaders have not missed the play-offs since 2001, when they ended 10th with only 4 victories. Back to 2009. The Crusaders again had to travel to South Africa. It was the year of NZ club rugby, with 3 NZ teams in the play-offs. The Crusaders played their hearts out, but again lost to the Bulls. This time 36-23 and with 5 tries overall, it was a lot more entertaining than 2 years earlier. The Bulls went on to win the ***le, for the first time at home, beating the Chiefs with 8 tries to 2.

The last time the 2 teams met in the play-offs was a year after that. The Bulls and Stormers were topping the log as numbers 1 and 2 and both had matches at home. The Bulls had to divert to Soweto, playing at Orlando Stadium. This was due to the fact that for the FIFA World Cup all stadiums used had to be handed over to the local organisers 15 days before the start of the competition. with 3 tries each, the Bulls had the better kicker in Morne Steyn, slotting 6 penalties to give the Bulls a 39-24 edge over the Crusaders. Again, the Crusaders fell short against the Bulls. The Bulls, yes, you've guessed this right, went on to win the ***le a week later against the Stormers.

Kahn.png

So basically, if history repeats itself, the winner of this clash will win the Super Rugby championship. Will that happen again this time?

So what are the stats for both teams? Well, the Crusaders have a winning ratio of 75% when they reach the play-offs. In the 16 years of Super Rugby, the team has won 18 matches and only lost 6, 3 in the final, 3 in the semi's. Yes, the 3 in the semi's were all against the Bulls.

The Bulls have less experience with play-offs, but what is their ratio? The Bulls have won 6 and only lost 3 play-off matches in their rich history. This gives them a winning ratio of 66%. The 3 matches the Bulls have ever lost in the play-offs were against the Crusaders (2006), Waratahs (2005) and Blues (1996).

A lot will of course depend on the form of the day. In the match-up during the regular season there was an eye-gouching incident. Both Chiliboy Ralepelle and Flip van der Merwe claimed they were the victim of eye-gouching. Jaco Peyper, the referee, showed a white card but no player of the Crusaders was found guilty. However, it does bring that extra spark to the match-up.

Who will win on Saturday? Will the Crusaders beat the Bulls in the play-off for the first time since 2006, or will the Bulls finally manage to win a play-off match away from home?

Back to Blog

You forgot to mention one thing Eze...

The last time the Bulls won in Christchurch was in 1996...

That, plays a major factor!

Good write up though. I completely forgot about the whole eye-gouging debacle earlier this year...

Yeah, but I tried to focus just on the play-off history of both teams. I am glad you like it ;) Took me a couple of hours and a lot of swearing to get both blogs together.

I can't see the Bulls taking this. I think they are just not there yet and the Crusaders are just too much of a quality team and more importantly a savvy team at home and will milk every ounce of advantage that gives them.

Funny one this, yes all know the Crusaders peak now and the Bulls are still getting it together as a team.
Then this same Crusaders team goes and looses against the Rebels recently

Teams are so close there days anyone can take it on the day
The Crusaders should take it is the general feel but the Bulls can also pull it off

I want the Bulls to win, just so the Stormers can shut them up the next weekend, again

Even if the Bulls win, you won't be playing the Bulls next week ;)

My preferred final: Bulls-Sharks, in Pretoria. Where we win with a last-minute try... Of course with a forward pass ;) Pietersen can do it.

Latest posts