• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Hurricanes in Dunedin (15/03/2013)

I haven't really seen Emery miss many tackles - is his defense criticism based mainly off his size?

What I like most about him is that not only does he seem to have that x-factor, but he just seems to make the right decisions. He'll make a run when it's on, or he'll pass well if there is a better option. He'll offload when it's on or he'll go to ground to avoid 50/50 passes. That's what impressed me the most. That being said we'll see how he goes when he's given no time or space and thumped in tackles. Hard making a SR debut against Conrad Smith!

I haven't really seen Emery miss many tackles - is his defense criticism based mainly off his size?

What I like most about him is that not only does he seem to have that x-factor, but he just seems to make the right decisions. He'll make a run when it's on, or he'll pass well if there is a better option. He'll offload when it's on or he'll go to ground to avoid 50/50 passes. That's what impressed me the most. That being said we'll see how he goes when he's given no time or space and thumped in tackles. Hard making a SR debut against Conrad Smith!
The reason I think he is a poor defender is because he missed a heap of tackles during the ITM cup :) I dont put this entirely down to his size (or lack there-of), rather poor technique . He tried to tackle far too high during the ITM cup -this probably worked at age grade level, but not against professional players! I have no doubt he will improve his defense, it just may take some time.

In my eyes Emery is the most talented U20s centre I have seen. He is exceptional on his feet, and has phenomenal distribution skills - he has future All Black written all over his for me. I'm not expecting too much this year (he is only 19... I think), but it is hard not to get excited by his talent...

Last edited:
My claim to fame is having played with Jason Emery for Johnsonville U12's (I think that was the grade). He used to make his older brother Marty (in my year) cry. He is certainly very talented now (I didn't notice heaps of missed tackled for Manuwatu - but I believe you're prob ably right and I wasn't paying attention). Hopefully he'll shine for NZ U20 again - cause after last year we'd better get back on track...(though I'm more optimistic about this year's lot - Savea should also be eligable I believe).

Sopoaga gave away that game like a drunk chick gives it away at a bar.

Also, you notice Noakes absence from the Highlanders (and Blues game vs the Bulls) this year versus last. There's seems to be very little flow to them.

But hopefully Coline "jitters" Slade gets the Highlanders going.

I hope for both teams to look good with a Canes win (Savea for 6 tries? :p).

After last weekends performance I'm not sure I'm really looking forward to this match.

We really need our experienced forwards to start stepping up - if Hore, Woodcock, and Thorn are firing we should have a clear advantage in the tight. I will be interested to see how Matu'u goes for the Canes (assuming he is fit..). He has made some great cameos for the Canes, so it will be interesting to see how he goes having to play 60+ mins. As has been mentioned the Canes look to have an advantage in the loose-forwards, though their loosies haven't exactly been firing either.

The halves look pretty even (assuming Slade continues to build on last weekends performances), but the Canes do have a big advantage in the midfield. Out wide the Highlanders do have an advantage, but I would be tempted to use Gear a lot on the right wing to mark Savea on defense. Poki is an ok defender, but there is no way he is going to stop Savea when he is rampaging down the wing.

It is hard to pick a winner, but I'm picking the Highlanders by 5 due to their home advantage.

Im Picking the landers to do the hurricanes pretty easy on this one. Well here's hoping anyway.

Highlanders need to hold onto the pill thats off a smith knock on way back when the landers were on the attack.

EDIT how many new captains and vice captains have the landers had this year!

Last edited:
And Kick off :)

Where are MacIntosh and Nonu?

Nonu is injured. MackIntosh is not in the 22 as the Highlanders acquired Woodcock this season.

As has been mentioned we need to be much more patient with the ball!

That is more like it from Dixon!

EDIT: And GEAR! How many players did he beat then....

Try in corner by Ben Franks . Weak tackle by Ben Smith!

Last edited:
I must admit the hurricanes are pretty impressive just for their enthusiasm in the contact. Thats where they are beating the highlanders at the moment. Everytime the player is tackled there is a huge contest to try get the ball back on the landers side.

Gear has been watching Savea obviously and has decided he needs to step up a bit. LOL.

Barrett may as well just not bothered thats how weak his tackle was.

Try Gear! He has been on fire tonight. Running at Barrett is a good choice though...

Good desperation defense there by the Highlanders.

Last edited:
It is good to be ahead at the break, but the Canes possibly deserve the lead. WE really need to focus on retaining possession, as the Canes look deadly on turnover ball.

In attack we need to focus on recycling the ball much quicker. All the ball we are getting is very slow - if we can get quick ball we could cause some damage as Emery and Gear in particular look very dangerous. I have been pretty happy with Slade's performance thus far - he is very courageous for someone who is made of glass...

Great game so far - Hurricanes will be incredibly frustrated they didn't get any points in the last 5 minutes.

Emery and Burleigh look great on attack (Burleigh is definitely a second five, as opposed to a centre), but look a bit dodgy on defence.

Vito's looked good so far, and Hardie's gotten through a lot of work.

the hurricanes have been super impressive at some aspects of the game. I think they will be kicking themselves though that they arent ahead as they should be. If the landers can get the right advice at halftime and come out more effective they can win this game.

Latest posts