• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Hurricanes in Dunedin (15/03/2013)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Hurricanes.png

Someone's eager ;)

Highlanders have to win this one or they'll have no chance of making the playoffs, unless the other teams all collapse.

Presumably Slade will be given the first five jersey, it will be interesting to see the make up of the midfield. Nonu SHOULD be back, but Treeby is out for a while, which leaves Burleigh and Emery as the two prime options for the 13 jersey. While it is possible that Ben Smith is moved into midfield, that would require Sopoaga to remain at first five (which, to be honest, I wouldn't be too annoyed about, as last week was hopefully a one off night of terror). If Nonu IS fit I wouldn't mind seeing Emery given a run. Burleigh is average at best, really not worthy of a starting jersey. Neither Conrad Smith nor Tim Bateman are major physical threats, so the main issue would be defending Savea and Leuia.

In the front row, I think Woodcock should get demoted for at least a game. Mackintosh deserves a run at some point, and Woodcock is not demanding selection currently. Dixon should be at number 8, as Parignati doesn't measure up, and Dixon is better at the breakdown which will be important against the Hurricanes back row. An alternative would be to see Hoeata at the base of the scrum, or on the blindside, with either Wheeler or Dixon having the other spot.

The rest of the team picks itself...

The Higlanders have lost 2 in a row at home now, statistically I would say 3 times is unlikely, but being humiliated by the cheetahs does not help their chances.

I might go with the Canes by 3. Another game almost too tough for me to call, but this game will have most at the edge of their seats.

Hoping for a Canes win to put our season fully back on track. It will be an interesting game for sure.

Hoping Matu'u will be alright to start as I actually really rate both his defense (which his tackling is obviously fierce as hell) but his work rate. Plays a bit of a tighter games than Coles - which I think we need. Also interested to see Rutledge go up against the Crusaders.

The scrum will also be interesting - particularly seeing how Woodcock goes against Toomaga-Allen - and seeing as Ben Franks wants that LH jersey for the AB's, there's a bit to play for. I'd imagine the Canes loose forwards will be dominant - but the Highlanders have the advantage in the second row (still can't work out why Broadhurst doesn't start as he's been one of the best forwards for the Canes when he starts). In most other positions I see the Canes with the advantage - except strangely in the back three. Savea is being a beast - and as good as Poki is I'd be suprised if he can contain him (where as even with the form Poki is in I'd back Savea). Gear should be able to run around or even over Leiua. And the form Ben Smith is in you'd take him over Taylor.

Also interested to see Nonu up against Smith in midfield. Peranara against Smith will also be very interesting.

Here's hoping for a low scoring error- and penalty-heavy draw:p. Though I do expect a highly entertaining loosish game played at frenetic pace.

Hurricanes: 15 James Marshall, 14 Alapati Leiua, 13 Conrad Smith (captain), 12 Tim Bateman, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Karl Lowe, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Jeremy Thrush, 3 Ben May, 2 2. Motu Matu'u / Ash Dixon, 1 Ben Franks.

Replacements: 16 tbc, 17 Reggie Goodes/Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 18 James Broadhurst, 19 Faifili Levave, 20 Chris Smylie, 21 Tusi Pisi, 22 Andre Taylor.

Taylor paying the price for not reaching his exceptional standards of last season? Should be a cracker. Would love to see Emery get the nod for the Highlanders outside Nonu. Looked a player when I've seen him in action.

Hoping for a Canes win to put our season fully back on track. It will be an interesting game for sure.

Hoping Matu'u will be alright to start as I actually really rate both his defense (which his tackling is obviously fierce as hell) but his work rate. Plays a bit of a tighter games than Coles - which I think we need. Also interested to see Rutledge go up against the Crusaders.

The scrum will also be interesting - particularly seeing how Woodcock goes against Toomaga-Allen - and seeing as Ben Franks wants that LH jersey for the AB's, there's a bit to play for. I'd imagine the Canes loose forwards will be dominant - but the Highlanders have the advantage in the second row (still can't work out why Broadhurst doesn't start as he's been one of the best forwards for the Canes when he starts). In most other positions I see the Canes with the advantage - except strangely in the back three. Savea is being a beast - and as good as Poki is I'd be suprised if he can contain him (where as even with the form Poki is in I'd back Savea). Gear should be able to run around or even over Leiua. And the form Ben Smith is in you'd take him over Taylor.

Also interested to see Nonu up against Smith in midfield. Peranara against Smith will also be very interesting.

Unlikely to see both these things, sadly! If Motu'u is fit, he'll start with Ash Dixon on the bench, presumably.

Joseph needs to get Emery in there. Burleigh is a fill in at best. A Treeby/Burleigh midfield is hideous to watch and I can't imagine the Highlanders will want to see that again so they need to get Emery up to speed asap.

I have to wonder why/how Paringatai got a contract. He was ok when he was young and in his prime, and now that he is older he looks pretty dire. Picking a guy out of Japanese footy seems like a lottery to me, especially when that guy was never all that great anyway and there were plenty of players in NZ who would have been better.

I think Brad Thorn had a lot to do with Parignati being contracted. He was mentoring Parignati while they were playing together in Japan, and probably gave the word to JJ that he'd be a good player to sign.

Someone's eager ;)

Highlanders have to win this one or they'll have no chance of making the playoffs, unless the other teams all collapse.

Presumably Slade will be given the first five jersey, it will be interesting to see the make up of the midfield. Nonu SHOULD be back, but Treeby is out for a while, which leaves Burleigh and Emery as the two prime options for the 13 jersey. While it is possible that Ben Smith is moved into midfield, that would require Sopoaga to remain at first five (which, to be honest, I wouldn't be too annoyed about, as last week was hopefully a one off night of terror). If Nonu IS fit I wouldn't mind seeing Emery given a run. Burleigh is average at best, really not worthy of a starting jersey. Neither Conrad Smith nor Tim Bateman are major physical threats, so the main issue would be defending Savea and Leuia.

In the front row, I think Woodcock should get demoted for at least a game. Mackintosh deserves a run at some point, and Woodcock is not demanding selection currently. Dixon should be at number 8, as Parignati doesn't measure up, and Dixon is better at the breakdown which will be important against the Hurricanes back row. An alternative would be to see Hoeata at the base of the scrum, or on the blindside, with either Wheeler or Dixon having the other spot.

The rest of the team picks itself...

Not really after watching our performance against the Cheetahs last weekend :(

I agree with most of you have there. While I do think Woodcock needs a good kick up the arse I would still start him ahead of MackIntosh. Though he hasn't been destructive at least our scrum has been pretty stable on the LH side, and Woodcock seems to be one of those players that slowly builds into a season, so needs as much gametime as possible. Like you I would start Dixon at 8. Wheeler/Hoeata at 8 is another option, but I would seriously consider getting Paul Grant involved as soon as possible. I never rated him until last season, but he was on fire for Otago last year (before injury), and could exactly what the Highlanders need at 8 until Manu gets back.

Like you I would start Emery at 13. Though I don't think he is quite ready for this level I think he is our best option at the moment, as Burleigh is very average at Super Rugby level (especially out of position at 13). If they did play Smith there they could use Popoali'i at fullback (rather than Slade at 15 and Sopoaga at 10), or they could opt for Poki at 13 (with Popoali'i on the wing). There are certainly plenty of options - none of them are particularly good though! Stopping Savea is obviously going to be an issue. We don't have the defenders to stop him 1-on-1 (does anyone though?) - I think our best option will be to starve him of quality ball.

Cabbage called into the Canes...you're gonna win

Who are you going to support if Rutledge is on the Canes bench Jabby? I assume you will back the Highlanders until Rutlegde comes on, then you will start cheering for the Canes :cool:

Joseph needs to get Emery in there. Burleigh is a fill in at best. A Treeby/Burleigh midfield is hideous to watch and I can't imagine the Highlanders will want to see that again so they need to get Emery up to speed asap.

I have to wonder why/how Paringatai got a contract. He was ok when he was young and in his prime, and now that he is older he looks pretty dire. Picking a guy out of Japanese footy seems like a lottery to me, especially when that guy was never all that great anyway and there were plenty of players in NZ who would have been better.

I was ****** of when Paringatai got a contract, and am just as ****** off now after watching him play. He was a fringe Super Rugby player when he left New Zealand (in his prime) - why would anyone expect he would be any better when he returned 6 years later (at the age of 32) after playing rugby in Japan? When he left he was a semi-decent ball runner with a poor work-rate and discipline issues. Now he is an average ball runner with a slightly less poor work-rate (but still very average), and discipline problems. Fantastic....

I agree with most of that assessment. The halves battle will be particularly interesting (assuming Slade gets the start at 10). Perenara and Barrett look to be slowly getting back into form, while I thought Slade showed some good signs on his comeback match in the weekend. I really rate Slade, so I'm hoping to see him survive the season without getting injured, as he is a quality player when he is actually playing rugby (which he hasn't done much off for he last few years).

Hurricanes: 15 James Marshall, 14 Alapati Leiua, 13 Conrad Smith (captain), 12 Tim Bateman, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Karl Lowe, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Jeremy Thrush, 3 Ben May, 2 2. Motu Matu'u / Ash Dixon, 1 Ben Franks.

Replacements: 16 tbc, 17 Reggie Goodes/Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 18 James Broadhurst, 19 Faifili Levave, 20 Chris Smylie, 21 Tusi Pisi, 22 Andre Taylor.

Taylor paying the price for not reaching his exceptional standards of last season? Should be a cracker. Would love to see Emery get the nod for the Highlanders outside Nonu. Looked a player when I've seen him in action.

A pretty predictable side, with the exception of Marshall at fullback. Taylor has been very quiet thus far, so it probably isn't much of a surprise that Marshall has been given a go.

Last edited:
i'll still support the highlanders..of course!...but when you compare Rutledges work rate and commitment to SOME of our boys in blue this year...i get a sinking feeling

I would HONESTLY rather have him at 8 (or hore at 8 and rutledge hooking) over Paringatai

Not really after watching our performance against the Cheetahs last weekend :(

I agree with most of you have there. While I do think Woodcock needs a good kick up the arse I would still start him ahead of Woodcock. Though he hasn't been destructive at least our scrum has been pretty stable on the LH side, and Woodcock seems to be one of those players that slowly builds into a season, so needs as much gametime as possible. Like you I would start Dixon at 8. Wheeler/Hoeata at 8 is another option, but I would seriously consider getting Paul Grant involved as soon as possible. I never rated him until last season, but he was on fire for Otago last year (before injury), and could exactly what the Highlanders need at 8 until Manu gets back.

That is a very daring assessment Darwin - hope that strategy pays off.

Highlanders v Hurricanes, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin – Friday 15 March, 7.35pm (NZT)
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore (Captain)
3. Chris King
4. Brad Thorn
5. Jarrad Hoeata
6. Joe Wheeler
7. John Hardie
8. Elliot Dixon
9. Aaron Smith
10. Colin Slade
11. Hosea Gear (Vice-captain)
12. Phil Burleigh
13. Jason Emery
14. Kade Poki
15. Ben Smith
Reserves
16. Brayden Mitchell
17. Ma'afu Fia
18. Jake Paringatai
19. TJ Ioane
20. Fumiaki Tanaka
21. Lima Sopoaga
22. Buxton Popoalii

good squad on paper again, emery getting his shot

Darwin, who would you rather have, Paringatai or TJ?

I'm happy with that starting XV. We are certainly lacking a bit of physicality in the midfield without Nonu, but I'm happy to see Emery get a shot. I'm not sure how we are going to stop Savea if he gets the ball - we couldn't contain him last year, and has only got better since then (and both our centres are suspect defensively)....

It is good to see Dixon back at 8. He is far from perfect, but he should help to create us some quality go-forward ball. I'm surprised Bekhuis isn't in the 22 too. I can only assume he is injured, but I haven't heard anything. As for the jokers in the 18 and 19 jersey's.... hmmmm...... Hopefully Thorn, Hoeata, Wheeler, Hardie, and Dixon all play 80 mins ;) We are certainly starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel - I can't understand why Paul Grant isn't involved. Ioane probably has the worst handling skills of any player I have any seen - I just find this so frustrating as he has the potential to be a good player. He is incredible physical with ball in hand, has exceptional pace for a forward, is good at the breakdown (though pushes the limits a bit too much at times), and is improving on defense. If he didn't lose possession 2-3 times a game I would probably quite like him as a player!

As to who I would rather have out of Paringatai and Ioane: can I chose neither and go into the game with 14 men :p It is a 50:50 choice for me but I would probably go with Ioane - at least he has the potential to be a half decent player one day...

Ioane and Paringatai, holy bad loose forward batman what is Joseph doing. There are so many better loose forwards at ITM cup than those two jokers it isn't even funny.

Good to see Emery get a run, hopefully he goes well.

Please tell me more about Emery, all seems to favor him getting a shot
Want to know what type of centre he is, future AB or more like the Smith's and Horrel's that perform wherever you put them?

Thanks

Want to know what type of centre he is, future AB or more like the Smith's and Horrel's that perform wherever you put them?

Thanks

Watch the IRB u21 games played in SA to have an actual look.He lloks keen to have a go and keep the ball alive and seems well equipped to do so. Not the biggest but seems very skillful.

Thanks

He has a great running game and a great short passing game but is lacking in size and is perhaps a liability defensively. He is still eligible for U20s this year.

Latest posts