• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Chiefs vs. Cheetahs in Hamilton (02/03/2013)

Hope the Chiefs kick in the pedal for the last part of the game.

yeah it looks like the chiefs are starting to play rugby. TKB and Clarke coming on helped.

Bit of a flogging now... Great defence and solid subs has won this game for the Chiefs. Obviously their attack now has got them the BP etc., but it was only due to them not giving the Cheetahs an inch on attack.

Looking ahead to next week's game against the Stormers, I'd like to see Ngatai starting at 12, assuming none of the other injured players are back. His size allows for a bit more penetration in the midfield, which we lacked today. Aki and Nanai-Williams due an ok job, but they really are too small together.

Idd, as a Cheetahs fan I have to say I'm quiet disappointed. The second half they couldn't do anything and this is just the first away game. Looks like it will be the same story as every year.

Easily the best game I've watched this weekend (although I haven't seen the other South African matches yet), but both teams seemed willing to run the ball ... the Cheetahs look a much stronger team than last year, and should win a few more games ... the Chiefs and the Blues look way ahead of the other NZ franchises at the moment

Tbh the Cheetahs were over classed in the second half. I guess they might have a heavy season.

I don't actually think the 2nd half result was mostly attributed to a half time rattle. I could tell from the start that the Cheetahs forwards were a lot bigger and the chiefs forwards were clearly fitter and 50min onwards was where the chiefs were going to shine. Any Halftime lead was basically the game in the bag. The fact that the chiefs defense held out despite being on the back foot for the entire first half was pretty special. Very high level of fitness, in particular from the tight 5.

Keeping the most attack orientated South African side to just 3 points?

Really like the look of Hika Elliot, very slim and towards the end of the first half he didn't even look like he was remotely tired even after a big defensive workload.
Messam and Cane both had massive games again, some impressive ball carries from messam. Best 6-7 Combo in NZ right now. Luatua and Braid not far behind but clearly 2nd best.
Brodie Retalick was bloody awesome around the field man.
Cruden much improved from last week, some nice touches kicking still a bit off.
Anscombe, simply awesome. Blues are doing excellent but how awesome would they have been with Anscombe on board? I think he's clearly showing he's a level above Nokes and Kerr plus clearly a better goal kicker than Weepu. Robinson and Horrell will struggle to get back in the starting 15 and Cruden will struggle to get the kicking Tee back that's for sure.
Aki has been a bit quiet on attack but looks like he's been defending superbly, playing Kahui's role as midfield defense benchmark.
Rhys Marshall again looks every bit a top class super rugby Hooker in his 2nd game at just 20 years old.
Ben Tameafuna showing some +ve signs still off par on fitness but looks like he is improving and will start to make more of a contribution in a few weeks time.

Set piece clearly needs work heading to south Africa. they have some work ons despite a 45-3 scoreline. They wont survive or maintain a lead being on the backfoot for 40min against better sides.

I don't actually think the 2nd half result was mostly attributed to a half time rattle. I could tell from the start that the Cheetahs forwards were a lot bigger and the chiefs forwards were clearly fitter and 50min onwards was where the chiefs were going to shine. Any Halftime lead was basically the game in the bag. The fact that the chiefs defense held out despite being on the back foot for the entire first half was pretty special. Very high level of fitness, in particular from the tight 5.

Keeping the most attack orientated South African side to just 3 points?

Really like the look of Hika Elliot, very slim and towards the end of the first half he didn't even look like he was remotely tired even after a big defensive workload.
Messam and Cane both had massive games again, some impressive ball carries from messam. Best 6-7 Combo in NZ right now. Luatua and Braid not far behind but clearly 2nd best.
Brodie Retalick was bloody awesome around the field man.
Cruden much improved from last week, some nice touches kicking still a bit off.
Anscombe, simply awesome. Blues are doing excellent but how awesome would they have been with Anscombe on board? I think he's clearly showing he's a level above Nokes and Kerr plus clearly a better goal kicker than Weepu. Robinson and Horrell will struggle to get back in the starting 15 and Cruden will struggle to get the kicking Tee back that's for sure.
Aki has been a bit quiet on attack but looks like he's been defending superbly, playing Kahui's role as midfield defense benchmark.
Rhys Marshall again looks every bit a top class super rugby Hooker in his 2nd game at just 20 years old.
Ben Tameafuna showing some +ve signs still off par on fitness but looks like he is improving and will start to make more of a contribution in a few weeks time.

Set piece clearly needs work heading to south Africa. they have some work ons despite a 45-3 scoreline. They wont survive or maintain a lead being on the backfoot for 40min against better sides.

I agree with most of that. I wasn't that impressed with Hika Elliot though. He looked in great shape, but he wasn't that accurate - hopefully he will sort that out as he builds into the season. Retallick was man of the match for me . Not only did he have a phenomenal work-rate, but he also showed a couple of great touched with ball in hand. Cane continues to impress - I can't see Latimer getting many starts in the Chiefs 7 jersey this season.

Pulu was a bit disappointing at halfback. He tried to do far too much (I wonder if he gets that from Kerr-Barlow...) - he is better off as an impact player from the bench at this stage. Cruden looked a bit more comfortable this week, and I don't think it will be long till he is back to his best. Anscombe was again impressive, though again was put under very little pressure - it will be very interesting to see how he goes if he starts at fullback against the Stormers this weekend...

Wow what a game. Chiefs started off slow but blew away the Cheetahs once they got going.

Midfield is a bit of a concern for the Chiefs and NZ right now. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

I agree with most of that. I wasn't that impressed with Hika Elliot though. He looked in great shape, but he wasn't that accurate - hopefully he will sort that out as he builds into the season. Retallick was man of the match for me . Not only did he have a phenomenal work-rate, but he also showed a couple of great touched with ball in hand. Cane continues to impress - I can't see Latimer getting many starts in the Chiefs 7 jersey this season.

Pulu was a bit disappointing at halfback. He tried to do far too much (I wonder if he gets that from Kerr-Barlow...) - he is better off as an impact player from the bench at this stage. Cruden looked a bit more comfortable this week, and I don't think it will be long till he is back to his best. Anscombe was again impressive, though again was put under very little pressure - it will be very interesting to see how he goes if he starts at fullback against the Stormers this weekend...

yeah totally agree, Hika looked a bit rusty first game and all but I expect a much better peak from him this year.

Cane has definitely taken his chance with these two starts and will take over the first choice 7 role as expected. I did kinda expect it to happen this year just not so soon (from game one) I think Latimer deserved to start as first choice 7 again. I still think latimer will have a bog role and also get some starts at both 7 and 6 as well to rest Messam - good chance he will start at 6 vs the kings, Crosswell has not been spotted yet. he should climb onto the bench for that game.

Pulu was off his game, fist time I think I've seen him look a bit out of his depth.

I actually thought Anscombe was under pressure at times, he had to defuse a few kicks that were fairly deep but he still got opposition players at the same time inside the 22. kinda an anticlimax as he carried them into touch rather than trying to clear/pass/run but at the end of the day the opposition didn't really get anything from it which is the main thing.

Latest posts