• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Chiefs vs. Cheetahs in Hamilton (02/03/2013)

Chiefs team: Gareth Anscombe, Lelia Masaga, Tim Nanai-Williams, Bundee Aki, Asaeli, Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden, Augustine Pulu, Fritz Lee, Sam Cane, Liam Messam (c), Brodie Retallick, Michael Fitzgerald, Ben Afeaki, Hika Elliot, Pauliasi Manu
Reserves: Rhys Marshall, Ben Tameifuna, Craig Clarke, Tanerau Latimer, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Charlie Ngatai, Patrick Osborne

A couple of interesting changes for the Chiefs. Hika Elliot returns at hooker, meaning Rhys Marshall drops back to the bench. Fitzgerald gets the start ahead of Clarke, which I don't quite understand. Pulu starts at halfback after he looked very sharp against the Highlanders last weekend, while Masaga comes into the starting lineup in place of Osbourne. Personally I would have started Ngatai in the midfield and moved Nanai-Williams out to the wing...

Chiefs team: Gareth Anscombe, Lelia Masaga, Tim Nanai-Williams, Bundee Aki, Asaeli, Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden, Augustine Pulu, Fritz Lee, Sam Cane, Liam Messam (c), Brodie Retallick, Michael Fitzgerald, Ben Afeaki, Hika Elliot, Pauliasi Manu
Reserves: Rhys Marshall, Ben Tameifuna, Craig Clarke, Tanerau Latimer, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Charlie Ngatai, Patrick Osborne

A couple of interesting changes for the Chiefs. Hika Elliot returns at hooker, meaning Rhys Marshall drops back to the bench. Fitzgerald gets the start ahead of Clarke, which I don't quite understand. Pulu starts at halfback after he looked very sharp against the Highlanders last weekend, while Masaga comes into the starting lineup in place of Osbourne. Personally I would have started Ngatai in the midfield and moved Nanai-Williams out to the wing...

I think Fitzgerald playing is a combo of two things, giving Clarke a rest before the SA leg, and also giving Fitzgerald some actual game time as Clarke is off next year, and Fitzgerald is the likely back up.

Bit disappointed to not see Toby Smith in there yet, but he'll probably get a go next week.

I think Fitzgerald playing is a combo of two things, giving Clarke a rest before the SA leg, and also giving Fitzgerald some actual game time as Clarke is off next year, and Fitzgerald is the likely back up.

Bit disappointed to not see Toby Smith in there yet, but he'll probably get a go next week.

I understand resting players during a long season, but it seems a bit unnecessary to rest them after only one match! I think you are right about giving Fitzgerald some game-time - I hope Fitzgerald plays a bit better than he has in the past for the Chiefs (where for some reason he has been over-aggressive, and hasn't really done the basics...).

Craig Clark did look a bit tender when he was on the sideline last week, ice on a shoulder?

Interesting Hika made a fast recovery from what was thought to be a 4-6 week injury. He's apparently in good shape and setting PB's due to keeping for doing fight for life - much the same as Ranger.

you would expect the chiefs to bag 5 points but games between these sides always seem to be close, frantic and unpredictable...

Yes while I'm picking the Chiefs to win 13+, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the Cheetahs somehow run away with it...

I think Rennie will stick with Nanai-Williams until Kahui comes back. Ngatai is a bit of a risk IMO while Nanai-Williams is quality all be it with a few holes in his D ;)
I suspect the Chiefs will just be way too strong in this one and also think they are the team to beat in the NZ conference. Love their loose trio, their backs will score a pile of points, and I truely think Rennie is a Master coach (I actually think what he did with Manawatu was out of this world given the players he had!!). The only thing that will stop them winning the NZ conference IMHO is either injuries or a Crusader side that finally gets their **** together.

I'm picking Chiefs by 20 in this one! Far too tough a situation for the Cheaters to compete for the full 80!

I actually think the opposite - playing Ngatai at centre would be a much more conservative option than playing Nanai-Williams in my opinion. Ngatai is a genuine midfield back (though is capable at 15 too), and is stronger defensively than Nanai-Williams. Ngatai hasn't had a lot of experience at Super Rugby level (injuries have been a major factor in this), but he had a great season for Wellington last year, and I think he could be very effective at Super Rugby this season if given a chance.

Yeah that's just a really unfortunate family name here in NZ.

I'm not sure of Gillies' heritage but, "Kaka" is the Maori word for,.... well, the stuff that comes out of your backside!.

Kaka is actually a native bird, I think you are a bit confused.

Tiko is what you described

I'd stick with Nanai Williams and Aki. They did a good job last week. Very happy to see Masaga back

Kaka is actually a native bird, I think you are a bit confused.

Tiko is what you described

The native bird you're talking about is actually called a Kakapo...
And the other native bird is called Kākā.. not the same bro.
And another word with the same meaning as kaka is Teko, not Tiko.

So I think you were misinformed

Last edited:
The native bird you're talking about is actually called a Kakapo...
And the other native bird is called Kākā.. not the same bro.
And another word with the same meaning as kaka is Teko, not Tiko.

So I think you were misinformed

No that's plain wrong, get yourself a maori dictionary, and you are just saying i am right, it is the same thing. Exactly what i was talking about.

Last edited:
Why would he be gillies turd? thats plain silly, that term has been introduced to NZ from overseas and since it is also a Maori word idiots think its Maori

Last edited:
Hope this is not a Kaka game and no Teko refereeing

Kākā is a native NZ parrot & tiko means turd - James5000 is correct sorry Dizzy! And the Chiefs win by 20 tonight!!

The Ceetahs aren't playing there strongest side. Hope they start the game with the same attitude as last week.

Latest posts