• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Chiefs vs. Cheetahs in Hamilton (02/03/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Chiefs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Cheetahs.png

Referee: Mike Fraser
Assistant Referees: Garratt Williamson & Glen Jackson
TMO: Vinny Munro

One of my favorite games of the season. If the Chiefs can play the rugby they played on Friday and the Cheetahs stick to their style as they did yesterday this will be an awesome game to watch.

The Chiefs should be pretty confident heading into this game, though I feel the 'helter-skelter' rugby they played against the Highlanders may not actually be the best style to play against the Cheetahs. I wouldn't expect too many changes to the Chiefs lineup (barring the return of previously injured players), though I would be tempted to get a proper centre in (Ngatai) and shift Nanai-Williams back to the wing (at the expense of Osbourne).

The only thing that could make this game more appealing is if it were played at 5:30(those games are always rippers) but this should be absolutely fantastic, I have enormous respect for the Cheetahs.

If the Chiefs come out and allow loose ball to be run at them like the last game, an upset's a serious possibility. The Cheetahs don't have the best structure of any team in South Africa, but they've always played fantastically on the break. I'd expect to see the Chiefs try and close down the game a bit more than last week, but I'm still marking this game down in my calendar...

The Chiefs shouldn't have any more of their injured players back, bar the two hookers who are both possibilities to play. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect to see many other changes.

Man, you got to feel for the Cheetahs, 1st game on tour and its against the defending Champions.

Both teams have the same style of play regarding flair. The Chiefs should rethink about the plan to keep it close and tight though, those Free Staters are big guys who like a good old tussle...

For the Chiefs to win, they need to play their normal game, the cheetahs had a long flight, and the Chiefs will run them off their feet...

Yeah, the Chiefs SHOULD'NT be in too much trouble but they need to keep it structured and remember that they'll probably be the team to have the most in the tank in the critical last 20 minutes. The Cheetahs have toppled many a fancied team in the past but lets be honest that is at home in Bloem and only last year did they win their FIRST game on tour. And that was with a fit Brussow playing a big part.

I rate the Cheetahs. But I think the Chiefs will come out with a big bang and win convincingly.

Cheetahs team announced:

[TABLE="width: 980"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE="width: 510"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]No.[/TD]
[TD]Position[/TD]
[TD]Name[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]LOOSEHEAD PROP[/TD]
[TD]NYAKANE TREVOR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]HOOKER[/TD]
[TD]STRAUSS ADRIAAN ©[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]TIGHTHEAD PROP[/TD]
[TD]ADRIAANSE LOURENS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]LEFT LOCK[/TD]
[TD]DE JAGER LODEWYK[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]RIGHT LOCK[/TD]
[TD]UYS FRANCOIS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]LEFT FLANKER[/TD]
[TD]VILJOEN FRANS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]RIGHT FLANKER[/TD]
[TD]LABUSCHAGNE LAPPIES[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]NUMBER EIGHT[/TD]
[TD]VAN DER WALT PHILLIP[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]SCRUMHALF[/TD]
[TD]PRETORIUS SAREL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]FLYHALF[/TD]
[TD]GOOSEN JOHAN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]LEFT WING[/TD]
[TD]RHULE RAYMOND[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]INSIDE CENTRE[/TD]
[TD]EBERSOHN ROBERT (vc)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]OUTSIDE CENTRE[/TD]
[TD]SADIE JOHAN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]RIGHT WING[/TD]
[TD]LE ROUX WILLIE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]FULLBACK[/TD]
[TD]DANILLER HENNIE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Replacements:[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]BARNES RYNO[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]OOSTHUISEN COENIE (FR)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]LANDMAN LIGTORING[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]PRINSLOO BOOM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]VAN ZYL PIET[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]SMIT RIAAN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]BENJAMIN RYNO[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
[TABLE="class: cms_table"]
<TBODY>[TR]
[TD]18.[/TD]
[TD]RESERVE[/TD]
[TD]LANDMAN LIGTORING[/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Wow, that has to be the most afrikaans afrikaner boer name ever, brilliant.

I mean I am an afrikaner and I love our culture, but that's some name :p

lol, agreed

Directly translated that would be Light tower Landman
some classics from the Boertjies over the years

Think I recall Windpomp (Wind pump) de Lange
Os (Ox) du Randt
Bees (Cattle) Roux

must be plenty more

Worse one I saw recenlty is Gielies Kaka (NZ 7's) - shame on the parents!

Last edited:
lol, agreed

Os (Ox) du Randt
Bees (Cattle) Roux

must be plenty more

Worse one I saw recenlty is Gielies Kaka (NZ 7's) - shame on the parents!

Yeah, I like our tradition of nicknames sticking. My granddad's name was Poppie (doll) which was given to him by a primary school teacher who said he looked like a doll. Oom Poppie en Tannie Poppie van Caledon.

Bakkies (trucks) Botha is so ingrained its just not funny; real name of Jean Philip Botha. Anyone remember Anton Olivier who played for the Bulls? I met him once and his real name is Antonio de Oliviera. Apparently the man is Portuguese but the good people at Bulls HQ gave his name as Anton Olivier to endear him to the fans. Needless IMO but rather funny as well.

I see Taute isn't in the matchday 22. I suppose he's injured? It'd be a big pity if he got booted after just the one game. i'd rather have moved Aplon to the bench and brought Pietersen in at 14 as insurance since Appels doesn't look for work like Habana does. But if Taute is injured then thats that I suppose.

I also think its harsh to have Cilliers on the bench as well. Yes we struggled in the scrums but a lot of that has to do with the fact that both Bekker and Steenkamp are playing at lock IMO. Also it was Kitshoff who looked to struggle though I do plead ignorance when it comes to the scrum.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like our tradition of nicknames sticking. My granddad's name was Poppie (doll) which was given to him by a primary school teacher who said he looked like a doll. Oom Poppie en Tannie Poppie van Caledon.

Bakkies (trucks) Botha is so ingrained its just not funny; real name of Jean Philip Botha. Anyone remember Anton Olivier who played for the Bulls? I met him once and his real name is Antonio de Oliviera. Apparently the man is Portuguese but the good people at Bulls HQ gave his name as Anton Olivier to endear him to the fans. Needless IMO but rather funny as well.

Don't forget about Baksteen Nel and Wal Baardtman

Bakkies refers more to chubby cheecks in my opinion
Taute is injured, confimred earlier in the week

lol, agreed

Os (Ox) du Randt
Bees (Cattle) Roux

must be plenty more

Worse one I saw recenlty is Gillies Kaka (NZ 7's) - shame on the parents!

Yeah that's just a really unfortunate family name here in NZ.

I'm not sure of Gillies' heritage but, "Kaka" is the Maori word for,.... well, the stuff that comes out of your backside!.

Latest posts