• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Bulls vs. Stormers in Pretoria (22/02/2013)

Ralepelle with a try! TMO will have to confirm. 25-10 with a conversion to come if it is awarded.

Wow, what a disgrace for rugby. Hougaard hits de Villiers on the head, de Villiers taps him on the arm and Hougaard brings his hands to his face, Bulls get a penalty and it's 18-10. Pathetic.

Hope he doesn't find himself in the bottom of a ruck. If I was Groom I'd be tempted...

And it's given! Bad call. No clear evidence the ball was touched by Frans Malherbe. Ralepelle was offside but I guess if it's not conclusive, the advantage goes to the attacking team.

Stormers score again. Bekker with a try, 25-17. Stormers need a score to get a BP

Hmmm. Bulls deserved the win but Hougaard needs a hiding from his mom and dad.

Woohoo!! Bulls by 8!! I called it!!

Morne deserved MOTM!! And welcome back Pierre Spies!! He was the best forward for the Bulls.

Also, what did you guys think of Mellett?

And what's up with Kirchner?? He was running with the ball!!!???

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Morne Steyn being man of the match is ridiculous. He did nothing other than kick the ball. Pierre Spies was much more important to today's win.

Rallepelle was offside!.. And the year starts again with more inconsistencies from the officials. Are they completely forgetting the offside rule? Because I swear wingers are offside most of the time these days whenever a box kick is taken

The loss does not sadden me, not sure why not...
Really felt for Jantjies, so did everyone from both sides that watched with us

Enjoy it while it lasts Bulls fans, was a long wait

We were our own worst enemy TBH. Jantjies and Taute were hit and miss when it came to distance but Steyn did put in a masterclass in kicking for position. 17 handling errors, forwards in the centers, and our centers little more than forwards playing at centers themselves. Jantjies couldn't even get it near the posts. We did a few 'moves' but too deep and not pulling the defense out of shape so a direct approach would've actually worked better. Biggest concern for me was Deon Fourie's through ins and the scrum. If a Bulls scrum with a rookie at loosehead and mr average at tight could put us under that amount of pressure...

Lots too work on.

Last edited:
Only saw the highlights. Janties really had a day off and Steyn was sublime.

"Bray has confirmed that the decision was indeed incorrect and that a penalty should have been awarded to the Stormers, instead of a try to the Bulls.

The argument whether this would have made a difference or not is pure conjecture, but Jaco Peyper has received a dressing down from his superiors, although Bray has called it "disappointing" that the try was awarded in the first place."

It's a simple answer really – Jaco knows he was wrong and he has to take accountability for that," Bray explained. "In the incident, we see the Bulls 9 kick the ball and the Bulls 2 is in front of 9. At best the Stormers player plays the ball if it indeed does hit him, and in that case the law is very clear. Number two is within 10 metres of the ball, and he needs to retire. He may have been close to the player receiving the ball, but the reality is he is offside and not allowed to come within 10 metres of the player who plays at the ball.
"The fact that the Stormers player plays the ball does not put him onside unless he is retiring. The only way he could have been onside would have been if the ball was charged down, and it is clearly not that, so the referee got that wrong.
"What is disappointing is that the law is really very well known to referees at this level and it is very disappointing that he got that wrong."

So this can be layed to rest now, during a long season you will have some for and some against you, let's move on

Yeah swings and roundabouts as they say, it's unfortunate but them's the breaks in Rugby. Hopefully the ref gets a decent punishment, but you just gotta take it and play the rest of the season.

Even Allistair didn't use the try as an excuse, saying bulls seemed more clinical and we were too rusty, although I haven't been able to watch the match yet, would love to check it out at some point.

Yeah look I don't think it was ever a question of whether the try SHOULD have been awarded or not. But these things will go against you if you can't get out of your own 22. Sometimes you manage to win while not playing your best rugby but no use in crying about spilled milk and it's early yet and maybe we needed reminding that we should make our own luck.

Yeah look I don't think it was ever a question of whether the try SHOULD have been awarded or not. But these things will go against you if you can't get out of your own 22. Sometimes you manage to win while not playing your best rugby but no use in crying about spilled milk and it's early yet and maybe we needed reminding that we should make our own luck.

Yeah, it was a bit dodgy...

but the rule is also a bit meh for these little grubber kicks... how do they expect a player to retreat 10m, when the ball doesn't even travel 2m??? Chilliboy, was offside, yes. the ball touched Malherbe's foot, debatable.

To me, if it did touch Malherbe, then it would've allowed Chilliboy to play on, which he did...

These technicalities will always creep in. and you guys are correct, you win some, you lose some.

But I will applaud you Stormers fans. you handled this quite amicably, and didn't fume or lash out at any stage. I have taken notes about this. I will be positively Repping all of you!

Strange this, I havn't encounter one Stormer fan that made a big hoo-ha out of this, not a lot that is upset with this games result even.
Guess they just know the Stormers are capable of playing way way better and so does our opposition.

Long season lads, let's see

Yeah, it was a bit dodgy...

but the rule is also a bit meh for these little grubber kicks... how do they expect a player to retreat 10m, when the ball doesn't even travel 2m??? Chilliboy, was offside, yes. the ball touched Malherbe's foot, debatable.

To me, if it did touch Malherbe, then it would've allowed Chilliboy to play on, which he did...

These technicalities will always creep in. and you guys are correct, you win some, you lose some.

But I will applaud you Stormers fans. you handled this quite amicably, and didn't fume or lash out at any stage. I have taken notes about this. I will be positively Repping all of you!

Cheers, Hein.

Yeah I havn't talked to anybody here who is upset over the loss. I think we know the big derby at Loftus is a tough one and your team was the better on the day and the points reflect this even if a call went astray here and there which it always will.

I do think however that care should be taken that you don't get guys off side and a clever player can simply rebound the ball off of opposition to put that man on side and in for an easy try. You'd just be opening the whole game up to some silly tries which is illegal technically and rightly so IMO.

Latest posts