• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Bulls vs. Stormers in Pretoria (22/02/2013)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Bulls.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png

Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant Referees: Rasta Rasivhenge & Stefan Breyenbach
TMO: Johan Greeff

[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD] 1996[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 35-7[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 1997[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] Not played[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] -[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 1998[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 18-35[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 1999[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 42-19[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2000[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 19-19[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2001[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 23-34[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2002[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 31-27[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2003[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 24-27[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2004[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 11-25[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2005[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 75-14[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2006[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 43-10[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2007[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 49-12[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2008[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 16-9[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2009[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 14-10[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2010[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 10-38[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2011[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 13-23[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2011[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 19-16[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2012[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 17-20[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Cape Town[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2012[/TD]
[TD] Bulls [/TD]
[TD] 14-19[/TD]
[TD] Stormers [/TD]
[TD] Pretoria[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
I'm going for a home team win here.

The Bulls have a knack of starting their season off with a big win, even though it usually is against the Cheetahs.

But I just get the feeling things are slowly starting to click again at Loftus, and with Victor Matfield back in the fold as coach this time, it seems that the Bulls got some fire lit under their asses again.

Their youngsters look hungry and eager to impress while the old faithful are all trying to get back to their superstar form (Hougaard and M Steyn).

I'm going for the Bulls by 8...

It'll either be Stormers narrowly or Bulls by 10 IMO. I'll put forward my final prediction when I see the line-ups. Hopefully the Bulls will play all their experienced players. The Stormers team picks itself.

Either way this is a tough match first up for bath teams and it will be bruising.

Great first up SA match, I believe it's only 7AM NZT so I might even get up for it!

wow, this is going to be a tough on up for both
Although I frimly believe the Bulls will have good year thay will play their experienced players for this game, just the way they do things and based on that the Stomrers will win, same as the last few years
If they show some balls and utilise their fountain of youth, well then just maybe thay can pull it off

Stormers by 5

Last edited:
wow, this is going to be a tough on up for both
Although I frimly believe the Bulls will have good year thay will play their experienced players for this game, just the way they do things and based on that the Stomrers wil win, same as the last few years
If they show some balls and utilise their fountain of youth, weel then just maybe thay can pull it off

Stormers by 5

That's the way I see it also. I think we are more or less the same than previous years with maybe just a little more experience and a little more quality in some areas. Bulls' young guys looked hungry and sharp and I think they'll be making a mistake if they don't take a 'gamble' on youth to a certain extent and 'surprise' the Stormers. IMO Visser suits their game at 15 and Venter-Serfontein is a very dangerous (and defensively sound) midfield pairing if lacking in SR experience. Marcel vd Merwe, Botha and Hattingh also probably better (at least more dynamic and more varied in skills) in the forwards but unlikely to start. Morne Styen? A lot depends on his form and that of Hougaard or Vermaak whichever one will wearing 9 on their backs.

Bulls wil also be facing a very different gameplan than what they did against the Cheetahs and Lions while I think the Stormers will have a better idea of what to expect from the game. Two early tries from a fired-up Bulls team though and we know we struggle to play catch-up..

Last edited:
P.S. Mr Darwin -- change the bottom one - Stormers won, was there :)

Hehe was just about to post the same thing Gena, That was a fantastic win by the Stormers, with Habana scoring the winning try if I recall correctly :p

I feel this is gonna be a really tough one to call, we've had the Bulls number the past few games, but they seem to be really fired up this year and apparently Morne Steyn is getting over his slump in form.

Still, you'd think with the talent in the squad the Stormers ought to take this one, even by just a few points, possible difficulty for us is the midfield though, don't think we have the centers to stand up to Serfontein at the moment, what with De Jong injured and De Villiers a bit past his prime.

Got rugby the next day so might need to record this one. Will be interesting.

I get the feeling the Bulls are a real chance. I imagine the Stormers are still the benchmark and I worry playing too safe (combined with your usual round 1 errors) might go against them when the Bulls are spurred on by a home crowd and are inclined to take a few risks in attack + defence.

Marcel had a knee operation, he will only be back in May

So apparently Dean Greyling and Wilhelm Steenkamp are unavailable due to injury which probably means Marcel vd Merwe will be starting and Hattingh might find a spot on the bench. I don't particularly like this but seeing as they are both on my Foxsports fantasy SR bench it at least has a silver lining for me.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8507746,00.html

So the Bulls chances of getting yellow carded just dropped significantly!!

It's a blessing in disguise! now Paul Willemse and Morne Mellett can get their rightful spots in the team...

And I hardly think this will weaken our pack, if anything we will be stronger in the Scrums. Mellett is a much better scrummager than Greyling.

I agree on Paul Willemse but Mellet did not impress me, the bit I saw of him last year

I heard you talking about Mellet earlier. Can't think that I've ever noticed him but will keep an eye out. With Steenkamp out do you think Willemse will get in ahead of Hattingh on the bench (I'm assuming Flip and Juandre are set to start)? I'd have thought Hattingh would be a better bench option as he is a more dynamic player/impactful player late in a game.

Schalk Burger is out of the first game

DHL STORMERS:
Jaco Taute, Gio Aplon, Jean de Villiers (captain), Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Elton Jantjies, Nic Groom, Duane Vermeulen, Rynhardt Elstadt, Siya Kolisi, Andries Bekker, De Kock Steenkamp, Pat Cilliers, Deon Fourie, Steven Kitshoff.

Replacements: Martin Bezuidenhout, Frans Malherbe, Don Armand, Nizaam Carr, Dewaldt Duvenage, Gerhard van den Heever, Joe Pietersen.

Bugger, have to beat them again without Schalkie

Not too happy about Steenkamp at 4 TBH. Missing Q Roux now with Etzebeth injured.

And WTF about that center 'partnership'! We have one of the best back 3 in the competition but they aren't gonna see any ball with both of De Allende and JdV clogging up the mid-field. Dont get me wrong De Allende has a good pass on him but IMO not the awareness and timing needed at this level yet while De Villiers hasn't been in good form since leaving for Ireland nevermind out of position.

On the other side I am over the moon to see Groom get his deserved start at 9! Him and Jantjies are probably the only halves combination for the Stormers that can get things moving again further out wide. Wonder what it will take for Brache, Du Plessis or Howard to get a crack at it in the mid-field.

Latest posts