• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 FINAL - Crusaders v Hurricanes

Originally posted by Ripper@May 29 2006, 05:11 PM
So why should SANZAR have one?
because Union is played in more diverse climates proned to this sort of freakish act of nature

They can do something now.................or be exposed to this possible fluke again......

I'd rather get it right for next time than HOPE it doesnt happen again - especially for a FINAL.

Like the IceBowl - This game will be remembered for the weather - not the content of the game

Seriously, this is the first time we've seen this happen and suddenly its all SANZAR's fault... before this we've never seen anything you wouldn't see in the NRL.

Originally posted by ak47+May 29 2006, 06:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@May 29 2006, 05:00 PM
Pure Genius...

Pages of talk and you still haven't got your head around a simple fact.

THIS FOG WAS A HOUR BEFORE THE GAME

i.e This is something that is likely NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN

Are you telling me that the NRL or the ARU have a file in their planning labelled "What to do if Freak Fog creeps up an hour before kick off?"
yeah and the Mt St Helens, Tsunami, Hurricanes in N.O - earthquake today - all freak occurances

Its safe to say anything from mother nature is a freak occurances isnt it

How bout doing something so we arent exposed to these freak acts of nature

No the NRL doesnt have anything in place........unless a team is created on the highest tip of Tasmania - we wont have too, but we would

Remember that SNOW game with the Raiders???

Actually I've seen NRL game get canned due to heavy hail falling beforehand.

If ur a QLD team in the NRL u arent getting a home game until late march/april - so it is safe to say the NRL does think about the location and seasons/time of year involved. [/b]
not saying this is always the case but nrl teams tend to rebuild their stadiums every 2 years or so and therefore have to play away from home for the first part of the competition.

I don't see what they could have done in this situation either. if they had post phoned it till sunday the fog was still there anyway and they would have had to play in the same conditions. you can't keep delaying a game until they are perfect condiitions. and play a final during a week-day is marketing sucide.

this will happen maybe once in 20 years and the canterbury union consulted the nzrfu etc.

maybe sanzar should form a new division called Weather predicition. there job is too use any means possible to predict what the weather will be like around and hour and a half before kickoff for every game in the super 14. they do that or find a way to get an extra 20 million or so to cover for catering re-booking of flights etc in the event of somthing like fog coming onto the field.

I think the odds of something like the fog happening again are hugely low, and Rugby is an all weather sport, but there are limits.

SANZAR will certainly look at what happened to the final during their review, as they review EVERY season. I'm pretty sure they want maximum value from every S14 game and will come up with an answer.

As highly unlikely as it is to happen again in the next 10 years, who's to say it won't? Surely it wouldn't take long for them to come up with a contingency plan. It's one of those things that you may never need, but you have to have one anyway, like earthquake cover.

There are sponsors to please, who pay BIG money for their advertising hoardings to be seen and many other issues. They won't go, "WOW. That was a freakish occurence, it'll never, ever happen again."

It may well not happen again, but the game is big business. They want every possibility covered, and this new oddball situation is no different.

Oh, and as for the fog still being there in the afternoon the next day. What a bunch of crap. It was completely clear by late morning!

Look the fact is there should be no more night games on the South Island from now on. The IRB isn't going to risk that kind of bullshit in 2011. I remember in 2002 one of the worst Bledisloe Cups I've ever witnessed was played in Christchurch, and it could have all been avoided if it was on during daylight.

well I was going by reports that said the fog was still there.

yes there are sponsor etc all of whom have to be compenstated etc if the game has to be moved. especially if you have to move it to another city. there would be all kinds of issues and legal problems I think.
there is big money involved for sure and moving a final to another city would be literally millions of dollars.

Originally posted by Wally@May 29 2006, 06:40 PM
Look the fact is there should be no more night games on the South Island from now on. The IRB isn't going to risk that kind of bullshit in 2011. I remember in 2002 one of the worst Bledisloe Cups I've ever witnessed was played in Christchurch, and it could have all been avoided if it was on during daylight.
I am pretty sure they will. there is more money in night games hence why they play them. and I somehow doubt fog will be in every match in the world cup.

Originally posted by esoj@May 29 2006, 05:41 PM
well I was going by reports that said the fog was still there.

yes there are sponsor etc all of whom have to be compenstated etc if the game has to be moved. especially if you have to move it to another city. there would be all kinds of issues and legal problems I think.
there is big money involved for sure and moving a final to another city would be literally millions of dollars.
Do you actually think the sponsors were happy with the game going ahead like that? Television and sponsorship are what keep our game alive. Both were spitting chips, and rightly so.

Originally posted by Wally@May 29 2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, how about we play our games in 45 degree weather on that shitty Telstra Stadium Turf!

And what about that 2000 Final at Bruce Stadium?

television was actually one of the reasons it went ahead. and do you think the sponsors would have like the game being played on a week-day.

Originally posted by esoj+May 29 2006, 05:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@May 29 2006, 06:40 PM
I am pretty sure they will. there is more money in night games hence why they play them. and I somehow doubt fog will be in every match in the world cup. [/b]
It's not worth risking the poor conditions that usually occur at night time games down south. In any case they won't allow any of the major games to be played there. Jade Stadium has only recently been redeveloped so I can't see them making any sort of enclosed stadium before the World Cup.

Originally posted by Ripper+May 29 2006, 05:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@May 29 2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, how about we play our games in 45 degree weather on that shitty Telstra Stadium Turf!

And what about that 2000 Final at Bruce Stadium? [/b]
Why would you play a game infront of 80,000 people? I'm not sure. And when has there ever been a match during 45 degree heat?

What happened at Bruce Stadium was rare. Nearly every game of rugby in New Zealand during winter is played in **** conditions.

Originally posted by Wally+May 29 2006, 06:48 PM-->
Originally posted by esoj@May 29 2006, 05:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@May 29 2006, 06:40 PM

I am pretty sure they will. there is more money in night games hence why they play them. and I somehow doubt fog will be in every match in the world cup.
It's not worth risking the poor conditions that usually occur at night time games down south. In any case they won't allow any of the major games to be played there. Jade Stadium has only recently been redeveloped so I can't see them making any sort of enclosed stadium before the World Cup. [/b]
yes it rains how sad. and once in a blue moon fog comes onto the field.

I think they will have games at jade. the south island does have bad coniditions ie it is not sunny but I am sure plenty of game will be played down there

Lol this is a good read, you guys are never going to agree here, how about accepting it's in the past, building a huge bridge and

get over it?

yeah maybe . although the next time it rains for a rugby match in aus I won't be holding back thats for sure.

What goes on @ Bruce Stadium stays :p - Its part of the home field advantage :p , and isnt watched on a global scale like the S14 Final

I gaurantee the sponsors are asking SANZAR what will you do if this happens again?

SANZAR cant ignore the fact anything is possible, by shrugging their shoulders.

and its not SANZARS fault or anything - NOBODY IS AT FAULT.
but if it happens again - somebody will cop the blame.

Will it be the Waratahs for throwing away that moment
Will it be the NZ weatherman
Will it be SANZAR

It will be SANZAR coz it will happen again - 100 yrs of rugby, is 1,000,000th the time that island has been exposed to that weather.......

Unless u predict the middle east to take control and wipe rugby off the calendar, in 100yrs that weather will come again to strike - when the $$ are alot bigger - heck 100yrs we'll have massive Total Recall type fans to move the fog to another location until deemed suitable to release back at the Chrischurch mob.

Await Technology - or remove the risk??

OK I need a beer :unsure:

Originally posted by Zambaman@May 28 2006, 10:39 AM
Also, I don't know how much use delaying the game to today would have been, it's 9:40 here and the fog is still here and is as thick as last night. This sure is some freak fog.
I will fiinish with this quote :D

How about a swap, NZ can have Telstra Dome and Australia can have Otara.
That's a really good deal.

Originally posted by ak47@May 29 2006, 07:03 PM
What goes on @ Bruce Stadium stays :p - Its part of the home field advantage :p , and isnt watched on a global scale like the S14 Final

I gaurantee the sponsors are asking SANZAR what will you do if this happens again?

SANZAR cant ignore the fact anything is possible, by shrugging their shoulders.

and its not SANZARS fault or anything - NOBODY IS AT FAULT.
but if it happens again - somebody will cop the blame.

Will it be the Waratahs for throwing away that moment
Will it be the NZ weatherman
Will it be SANZAR

It will be SANZAR coz it will happen again - 100 yrs of rugby, is 1,000,000th the time that island has been exposed to that weather.......

Unless u predict the middle east to take control and wipe rugby off the calendar, in 100yrs that weather will come again to strike - when the $$ are alot bigger - heck 100yrs we'll have massive Total Recall type fans to move the fog to another location until deemed suitable to release back at the Chrischurch mob.

Await Technology - or remove the risk??

OK I need a beer :unsure:
those same sponosor especailly ones in christchurch would have been piseed if the game got moved to another city.

there is ramifications to any decision that is made. there needs to be some kind of compenstation thing set up. so that the cost of shifting the game either a day or 2 or to another city can be dealt with. I still think sanazar should go with the weather predicition division that way any game in the super 14 should be able to be played in bright sunshine right.

bruce stadium is a hole everybody knows that. maybe they shouldn't play games there either

Latest posts