• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks' blindside flanker, if...

Scary looking at the good players the springboks have at 6,7,8.

Ooooooofffff...

Schalk Burger out for 6-8 weeks with brokeded thumb

So he'll be back for the World Cup, but pretty much miss the Tri-Nations.

Bad for the Springboks. When is Smith set to return? Will he be back in time for the Tri Nations? Otherwise it's looking pretty grim.

Can a certain South African not make decisions on size. If a player is taller and a more explosive runner it doesn't make him a better jumper smaller ones are generally lighter. For example Kevin McLaughlin is 6 4 yet a better jumper than many second rows.

Also saying Burger isn't that good a carrier because he's not as big is ridiculous. He is 6 4 and 110 kilos which is big enough. Sean O'Brien who is generally considered one of the best ball carriers in the world is 6 2 and 108 kilos.

Stop obsessing over size.

Can a certain South African not make decisions on size. If a player is taller and a more explosive runner it doesn't make him a better jumper smaller ones are generally lighter. For example Kevin McLaughlin is 6 4 yet a better jumper than many second rows.

Also saying Burger isn't that good a carrier because he's not as big is ridiculous. He is 6 4 and 110 kilos which is big enough. Sean O'Brien who is generally considered one of the best ball carriers in the world is 6 2 and 108 kilos.

Stop obsessing over size.

I love you guys. 'Hey guys, I'm Irish so I want to talk about Irish players.'

Anyways, I'm delirah that Burger is out. Never have been a fan and I reckon that the Bokke will be better off without him.

I love you guys. 'Hey guys, I'm Irish so I want to talk about Irish players.'

Anyways, I'm delirah that Burger is out. Never have been a fan and I reckon that the Bokke will be better off without him.

They're just two examples I used to prove a point could have used others. They were just the first to spring to mind.

all pretty crap options if you ask me.. how about richie mccaw? oh wait thats right hes from new zealand never mind..:D

all pretty crap options if you ask me.. how about richie mccaw? oh wait thats right hes from new zealand never mind..:D

1. No one did ask you.
2. Is that your best wind-up? What are you, 10 years old?

http://www.sarugby.com/2011/07/04/burger-out-of-tri-nations/

Burger out for 6 to 8 weeks meaning he'll miss the 3N but I would be surprised if PdV didn't pick him for the RWC; he has been in good form (for what he does) and probably the rest will do him good. I am also certain a thumb injury won't be a problem getting back from ITO those ****les that can affect the way you play.

The starting players will be Brussow, Smith, Spies (unfortunately) and Burger with probably 2 spots open for others.

Following the recent speight of injuries, bulky Sharks flanker Jean Deysel has been added to the Springbok group that is having a tea party on Sunday

Following the recent speight of injuries, bulky Sharks flanker Jean Deysel has been added to the Springbok group that is having a tea party on Sunday

With Potgieter having a quiet season he is probably the logical stand-in. Pity, Potgieter has had a couple of good runs in a Bok jersey.

It just feels kinda twilight zoney with Burger, Smith, Alberts and Vermeulen out injured while the serial injured player and player most people would prefer to stay home (Brussow and Spies) in good nick.

Yeah i gotta agree with some of the previous comments regarding size... a player doesn't have to be 6'5 and 120kg's to cart the ball up effectively.
I think our most effective ball carrier would be Messam and hes about 6'2 and 107kgs(about the size of a running back in American Football)

I'd love to see Burger at No8 - i think he had a great year in a frustrating side this year. His tight forwards were terrible.
I reckon with both Burger and Brussow fetching and getting around the park and Alberts strength at the breakdown the Boks would be hard to crack...

7 - Brussow
6 - Alberts
8 - Burger

I reckon the 6 to 8 wks off will do Burger a world of good - he'll be a maniac by September...

Thats how i'd pick them - but knowing PDV hes gonna pick Spies aka The Gate at No8

So many great loosies in Sth Africa this year...

Latest posts