• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

You're not wrong! I absolutely admit I'm vindictive, bitter, petty and PROUD
In regards to Sexton Irish fans be like
homer simpson business GIF

Looking forward to a good game! The appetite has been wet with team announcements.

What it's pleasing is that even though this tour has been a bit of a disaster in terms of the circumstances and quality of warm ups, this is nonetheless shaping up to be a big one. Touch wood that there are no cases to scupper either squad.

I'm pretty happy with the squad with a few doubts.

What I'm reading from it is that Gatland knew who he trusts going into this series, and wanted and needed to see *just enough* from those names to warrant but not guarantee selection.

For example Watson has been good enough without being spectacular, but because Gatland knows he can handle the big tests and has done it for Lions before, he gets that nod. In that sense, it's really quite hard for bolters and new caps to get into the squad as long as old timers don't totally screw up. Adams is super unlucky - but I really take Keith Woods point about how hard it is to compare player who played in the joke warm up games versus south Africa A. It's such a different level and while I think Adams needs a shot at it soon, running in tries against these opposition isn't the best marker we have.

But Faletau and Murray are ones who clearly haven't shown enough and I have to agree with that (although it feels a bit mad for the former to not even be in the 23) I'm surprised Gatland made such a strong call with this.

I've heard quite a few non English pundits talking up Lawes in the backrow and it makes me uneasy. I've never thought it really works except for one game against Oz in 2009.

I think the second test will be tighter but I'm going SA by 7-10. I like the team but don't really see where we win this game. With Smith on the bench it could have been a different story.

Well "wet" would mean "dampened", would mean made less exciting right?

"Whet" on the other hand means "sharpened", made more anticipated......

Everyone loves a spelling pedant..........

But actually fully share the sentiment. Gatland has made some big calls here but mainly the right ones for me. I think Faletau is a fantastic player, but he looks slow and out of form to me. Conan has outperformed him and deserves his place. Again Price has shown something that Murray simply doesn't have and that's being quick of thought and of foot. Murray's kicking hasn't been good enough to give him the edge in the selection stakes. LCD laid down a marker in the last game that simply couldn't be ignored, hard hitting, accurate darts and a menace at the breakdown. Personally I'd have taken George on the bench over Owens as I believe he offers more but it's paper thin.

Then Daly. I'd have been entirely happy with him not making the squad. I stand by my previous observations that he's pretty much been England's worst player in the past 2 years. Suffers under the high-ball and is a defensive issue at 15...... However at 13 offensively he has a much bigger upside than Harris. As has no doubt been mentioned before he can also boot it miles (as long as he doesn't find Cheslin it's fine)

There are players that can feel genuinely peeved Henderson and Beard among them for me. Of course there's Adams too. I'd be annoyed in his shoes but there's more tests to come and the Boks will break some of our players.......

Yea that's another thing to watch out for, who's gonna be tackled out of rugby for the next year with an ACL?

Josh Adams could have setup a new all time try scoring record for the Lions, now he will have less chances. Have to feel for the guy.

I've got to ask since I've obviously missed it. Where did the nickname Sanjay come from?

I've got to ask since I've obviously missed it. Where did the nickname Sanjay come from?

Funnily enough just looked that up today. He was Told that he looked like Sanjay Kapoor from Eastenders when he went on holiday when he was younger and suppose it just stuck. How he looked Asian? The tan?

Can't say I see the resemblance.

79C897CC-1D4D-4294-ABEC-A1E6C58FFE13.jpeg

Might walk to the bookies and ask to place that. I'm near the border so I'll do it in Wales to **** them off

I really don't see what the hype is about

Latest posts