• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

I assume this is correct on wikipedia, but feel free to correct if wrong.

In rugby union, a citing commissioner is an independent official, appointed by the competition organizer, the union in which the match is taking place, or the World Rugby, who is responsible for citing players who commit any act of foul play which in the opinion of the Citing Commissioner warranted the player concerned being Ordered Off (Red card).

Citing Commissioners may cite Players for an act(s) of foul play where such act(s) may have been detected by the referee or assistant referee and which may have been the subject of referee action. A Citing Commissioner may not cite a Player for an act(s) of Foul Play in respect of which the Player has been Ordered Off save where the Ordering Off is as a result of two yellow cards. A Player in that situation may also be cited for the act(s) of Foul Play which resulted in either or both yellow card(s).

Citing Commissioners may cite a Player if he has been Temporarily Suspended (Yellow card). Such citing may be made in respect of the incident(s) for which the Player was Temporarily Suspended or otherwise. A citing complaint by a Citing Commissioner must be sent in writing to the nominated officer of the Host Union or Tournament Organiser responsible for the Match in which the incident that is the subject of the citing complaint occurred within ordinarily a minimum of 12 hours and no later than a maximum of 48 hours of the conclusion of the Match.

Teams may bring offences to the attention of the citing commissioner for review. The citing commissioner may cite a player even if the referee has already dealt with the issue (except where the player has been Ordered Off). Where there is no Citing Commissioner appointed, each team participating in a Match, or any of its authorised officials, or its Union, may cite: (i) a Player(s) for an act(s) of alleged Foul Play committed during that Match provided that such act(s) have not been detected by the Match Officials; (ii) a Player for more than one incident of alleged Foul Play in the same Match; and (iii) more than one Player in any Match. Citing complaints must be notified within 48 hours of the conclusion of the match

A player who is cited is called to a hearing to show cause why he should not be treated as having been sent off for the alleged offence. The player is entitled to be represented. The hearing usually takes place before three independent persons nominated by the union or the competition organizer, and is generally convened within a week of the match in question. If the offence is proven, the panel issues a penalty, usually in the form of a suspension for a number of weeks.
Ewers got a yellow card for a high shot vs us and still got cited/banned after

Ewers got a yellow card for a high shot vs us and still got cited/banned after
I think that's covered in the third paragraph, although I missed that first and thought that ordered off could mean both a yellow or a red.

Yeah, ordered off means red and temporarily suspended is yellow. Don't ask me why.

Btw, here are most of the other incidents that haven't been cited. They didn't include Kolbe's first tackle, which for me could easily have been red and has happen this year in the NH at least.

Wow, I only caught the highlights on 4 (pretty terrible, barely showed anything other than main scoring moments). When did that happen?
I've literally seen nothing on it until now.

Wow, I only caught the highlights on 4 (pretty terrible, barely showed anything other than main scoring moments). When did that happen?
Literally no idea

Top reply to the tweet says they should get the PRL citing comission to go through the game and see what they pick out
Would love to see that
Nervous On Fire GIF by Robert E Blackmon

If it's deemed a red card offence it can be cited even if penalised/yellow carded on pitch

Kolbes hit on Curry and his taking Murray out in the air have both had very similar incidents see red this season

Though as ncurd says, above, if Watson's tip tackle last week can go unpunished then it shows the citing commission are on their summer holidays already

Maros knee on DDA probably happens at a dozen rucks a game but the cameras were right there so they might want to make an example
Makos was a shoulder to the face, pretty clear cut
I assume this is correct on wikipedia, but feel free to correct if wrong.

In rugby union, a citing commissioner is an independent official, appointed by the competition organizer, the union in which the match is taking place, or the World Rugby, who is responsible for citing players who commit any act of foul play which in the opinion of the Citing Commissioner warranted the player concerned being Ordered Off (Red card).

Citing Commissioners may cite Players for an act(s) of foul play where such act(s) may have been detected by the referee or assistant referee and which may have been the subject of referee action. A Citing Commissioner may not cite a Player for an act(s) of Foul Play in respect of which the Player has been Ordered Off save where the Ordering Off is as a result of two yellow cards. A Player in that situation may also be cited for the act(s) of Foul Play which resulted in either or both yellow card(s).

Citing Commissioners may cite a Player if he has been Temporarily Suspended (Yellow card). Such citing may be made in respect of the incident(s) for which the Player was Temporarily Suspended or otherwise. A citing complaint by a Citing Commissioner must be sent in writing to the nominated officer of the Host Union or Tournament Organiser responsible for the Match in which the incident that is the subject of the citing complaint occurred within ordinarily a minimum of 12 hours and no later than a maximum of 48 hours of the conclusion of the Match.

Teams may bring offences to the attention of the citing commissioner for review. The citing commissioner may cite a player even if the referee has already dealt with the issue (except where the player has been Ordered Off). Where there is no Citing Commissioner appointed, each team participating in a Match, or any of its authorised officials, or its Union, may cite: (i) a Player(s) for an act(s) of alleged Foul Play committed during that Match provided that such act(s) have not been detected by the Match Officials; (ii) a Player for more than one incident of alleged Foul Play in the same Match; and (iii) more than one Player in any Match. Citing complaints must be notified within 48 hours of the conclusion of the match

A player who is cited is called to a hearing to show cause why he should not be treated as having been sent off for the alleged offence. The player is entitled to be represented. The hearing usually takes place before three independent persons nominated by the union or the competition organizer, and is generally convened within a week of the match in question. If the offence is proven, the panel issues a penalty, usually in the form of a suspension for a number of weeks.
TX for the info! Learn something every day. I think I remember Kolbe going up against Curry. I guess I just didn't think much of it because it looked like Kolbe came off 2nd best.

Yeah, a few citings probably wouldn't be misplaced if only to ensure players are more weary in test 3.

TX for the info! Learn something every day. I think I remember Kolbe going up against Curry. I guess I just didn't think much of it because it looked like Kolbe came off 2nd best.
Tbh a year or two ago it would be nothing, but these days accidental head clashes, if the tackler doesn't make an attempt to go low, are judged the same as traditional high tackles
I think if Kolbe hadn't bounced off/bloodied his nose it would've been judged harsher - there was a similar incident in Wales vs Argentina that ended in a red card for the Argentine defender

Lol, and there the only citing is an incident noone knew about? How do these things not get put under the refs notice? Crazy but I don't think the Lions will miss Sinckler. Itoje mightve been a blow. Best Lion by some distance ITO impact. Vermeulen back will sort that out. And Lood starting. Mostert on the flank since I assume PSDT is out. Getting ahead of myself now.

Tbh a year or two ago it would be nothing, but these days accidental head clashes, if the tackler doesn't make an attempt to go low, are judged the same as traditional high tackles
I think if Kolbe hadn't bounced off/bloodied his nose it would've been judged harsher - there was a similar incident in Wales vs Argentina that ended in a red card for the Argentine defender
I expect your right. Maybe if De Klerk was bigger also. Last week he also ran into someone without it looking like he ever intended to make a legit attempt at wrapping.
You're already dominating our forwards and you bring the best tighthead lock and number 8 in the world into your side...
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Luckily we've got an out of form Faletau who will inevitably start now
But with PSdT likely out and Smith probs still on our bench. I do think though the Lions will up the tempo. All the stoppages (from knock ons to the hand bags and constant TMOs) only plays in the more unfit and physically bigger team's favor. Looking like your boys' caught the butter finger virus we had test 1 under the high ball didn't help either.

Last Lions tour does he roll the die and go out firing? Leave no 'what if's?' on the pitch?
There will always be a what if.

If he plays safe it will be "what if I chanced my arm"

If he risks it there will be a "what if I played how Wales played when we had a winning streak against the Boks"

It's a no-win position for him

An absolute joke that none of the South Africans have been cited, sadly though I am not surprised in the slightest.

Latest posts