• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa v Ireland - 13 July 2024

Rumours are Jimmy O B not going great in camp over and had poor end to season. Not sure if true but would think he would be a better option on bench like Frawley covers 10 but it an unbalanced bench. Osborne I know can cover wing but I'd rather he didn't he is out of position at 15 (despite doing very well) but is a centre or 15 not a wing. And off bench if a winger goes down then it is a disaster. Yes Ringrose can go out there but Ringrose is important to defence at 13. Just seems rushed.

Also have heard that certain coaching personnel have been told they have until Christmas to get certain things right or there will be changes for 6 Nations.
He wasn't great at 15 but looked dangerous when on the wing, should have been in the q4 jersey for the final. If we're not picking good players because they don't train well, it's stupid. You hear of, and see, loads of guys that don't train well but play well.

My main issue is how slow we are. We finished with a back three where Nash was the fastest player. He'd be the slowest in either back three playing in Auckland on Saturday.

Would rather have kept Beirne in the row put McCarthy on the bench and Baird at 6. Don't really like Baird and POM on the bench together and think Beirne isn't as rangy as he used to be playing at 6.

Wouldn't have minded Jimmy at 14 but wonder if Farrell didn't want an all left footed back 3.

Agree with TAB on not really liking Frawley and McCloskey as our back subs. In general we're lacking a lot of impact off this bench. Good players but only really trust Baird and maybe McCloskey or POM to bring any game breaking potential at the moment.

Hopefully Blade will play more like he did over previous seasons than this one just gone and bring some tempo with him.

He wasn't great at 15 but looked dangerous when on the wing, should have been in the q4 jersey for the final. If we're not picking good players because they don't train well, it's stupid. You hear of, and see, loads of guys that don't train well but play well.

My main issue is how slow we are. We finished with a back three where Nash was the fastest player. He'd be the slowest in either back three playing in Auckland on Saturday.
Not disagreeing. Just that is the word. I think Nash is faster than Lowe by a bit but obviously not as powerful. I think it balance. If Frawley is there then 23 should be a Jimmy O'Brien type who can play all back 3 spots. We effectively have 2 12s on bench. 1 of whom can play 10.

Would rather have kept Beirne in the row put McCarthy on the bench and Baird at 6. Don't really like Baird and POM on the bench together and think Beirne isn't as rangy as he used to be playing at 6.

Wouldn't have minded Jimmy at 14 but wonder if Farrell didn't want an all left footed back 3.

Agree with TAB on not really liking Frawley and McCloskey as our back subs. In general we're lacking a lot of impact off this bench. Good players but only really trust Baird and maybe McCloskey or POM to bring any game breaking potential at the moment.

Hopefully Blade will play more like he did over previous seasons than this one just gone and bring some tempo with him.
Issue is if I was betting man. Baird comes on at lock which weakens the team or Baird @6 and POM @7 which weakens team. They both are 6s.

I doubt I'll watch England v NZ apart from flicking on the last 20 while having brekky. Didn't watch Ireland last week because I was at an event, first game I've missed since the Japan tours where they were on in the middle of the night in 2017 I think.

To be honest, in what has been a successful year for us so far, the only games I've enjoyed were Leinster v La Rochelle and Saints. Jaded.
I can understand how you feel after such a tight year where you and other Leinster and Ireland fans put so much hope into finally being the year. Being favourites in the eyes of many at the world cup along with France, Leinster now going three years being the favourite for the URC and falling short and then also the Champions cup disappointments would have hurt so I can see why any strong rugby fan would would start questioning it all. But keep your chin up, both teams are still very strong and can have some good runs going forward. Rugby goes through cycles, I have had to deal with my domestic team being favourites in some form for every year since that 2007 super rugby final due to their big name players and have not won a major intercontinental tournament yet.

Even if you take a break, remember to enjoy this great Irish generation while it lasts.

Might be a stupid question but can you actually do that under employment law. Jobs for only the Irish kind of thing. I'm assuming you can or else he wouldn't have said it.
I'm absolutely not qualified to answer this question, but surely if we follow this logic the same could be said for people with disabilities, women etc.

I'm absolutely not qualified to answer this question, but surely if we follow this logic the same could be said for people with disabilities, women etc.
I think some things you can based on capability and rules of the competition. Womens rugby, age grade etc. You have to have good evidence as to doing so.

Like you I'm definitely not qualified on this, just thought it's a good question. Some one might know the correct answer.

IQ does not mean someone is Irish. It means they're qualified to play for Ireland which is a subtle but important distinction. Sport is also recognised as different to a normal working environment and gets a certain leeway.

Available live here

Gone dead now

Last edited: