• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa squad for the Rugby Championship

No, Welsh rugby rejuvenated because of some very good Welsh talent coming through the ranks. Just because their coach is from New Zealand doesn't make it a NZ achievement. Aussies are not claiming the South African World Cup victory of 2007, try to learn from them for once.
We did please refer 2011 RW....cheers

Engelbrecht is not a bad move at all the for wing, and I'm happy with JDJ coming in... He played pretty well the last few weeks.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but our only hope that HM to pick someone in Steyn's place in ARG is that Steyn gets injured during training...
Actyally hienie I concur and a mishap maybe a blessing. However, even though we are getting a clear idea on what HM thoughts are around his gameplan we can at least acknowledge that the bok 10 man game will be continued. Nonetheless, the Boks wil still be extremely competitive and with the Wallabies the only two teams on the planet that consistently bet the AB's

Don't know if I missed it amongst the bickering, but Juan de Jongh has been called up for JP Pietersen.
JP has a fractured thumb :(

A bit of a blow for the Boks in my opinion, as Pietersen has been in great form over the later half of the season (at least when he has been playing on the wing). While I think de Jongh is a good player, I do wonder why Aplon still hasn't been included. Is he carrying an injury that I'm unaware of, or is he just out of favour?

A bit of a blow for the Boks in my opinion, as Pietersen has been in great form over the later half of the season (at least when he has been playing on the wing). While I think de Jongh is a good player, I do wonder why Aplon still hasn't been included. Is he carrying an injury that I'm unaware of, or is he just out of favour?
This is a major blow to the Boks.....though JDJ is an able replacment...Pieterson is the Xfactor or the SBW of the All Blacks backline and more importantly his form is world class at this moment. Aplon appears to be just out of favoiur with HM just as Cullen was with John Mitchell...No matter how good or what form he carriedMitchell just didnt like him, I think this is much the casewith HM????

Etzebeth has torn hip cartiledge; Bakkies Botha and Franco van der Merwe are on standby.

Yeah I read that article too... It would be great if Bakkies can make a return...

I think Aplon is out of favour, but it's because HM sees him as a winger and not a fullback, and due to other wingers playing so well, and because they're a bit bigger than Aplon, HM would rather pick them over Aplon

Aplon not getting selected... the best attacking player in SA... oh wait... attacking... mmmm... opposite to the "park the bus" initiative...

oh ya that makes sense now as to why Aplon is not selected...

Aplon not getting selected... the best attacking player in SA... oh wait... attacking... mmmm... opposite to the "park the bus" initiative...

oh ya that makes sense now as to why Aplon is not selected...
He's 70 something kg...SA famed for their Physicality..if he does not fit into the gameplan the coach has then it's just unlucky

He's just 74, but he reminds us all how physics work.

K = ½ m*v²

mass isn't all you can bring... despite what SA coaches use to think.

Aplon would never be selected for NZ though, you can count on that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the best attacking player in SA. He's very hot and cold and hasn't really shown this "attacking" talent on the international field where it counts. It doesn't really mean anything if you can do it in Super rugby, but not test level. I'd even say that JP Pietersen, Habana and Mvovo are much better overall players.

He's 70 something kg...SA famed for their Physicality..if he does not fit into the gameplan the coach has then it's just unlucky

i always find this comment funny... tell me something... why is he then "eligible" for S15... he's playing agaisnt all the NZ players that are goning to play for the NZ national side in any case... or what?? do all the NZ players get "havier/bigger/faster" when they play for the NZ national team???

no its a bullshit excuse, as to why the coach don't want to play him... for what ever reason...

for a small guy aplon is good under the high ball... he has the best attack in sa... his defence is brilliant for a small guy... his is moer quick... what is the problem:?

i always find this comment funny... tell me something... why is he then "eligible" for S15... he's playing agaisnt all the NZ players that are goning to play for the NZ national side in any case... or what?? do all the NZ players get "havier/bigger/faster" when they play for the NZ national team???

no its a bullshit excuse, as to why the coach don't want to play him... for what ever reason...

for a small guy aplon is good under the high ball... he has the best attack in sa... his defence is brilliant for a small guy... his is moer quick... what is the problem:?

That's your opinion. He's a good player but i think you are overrating him greatly. He isn't that much of a stand out imo.

Last edited:

You shouldn't have to say for a small guy..

I don't watch enough to comment on the playing style of the Stormers and how it may contrast with the coaches view of how the boks should play but I know that Aplon is not quite as good as you're making him out to be.

Maybe not the best, but as cover for 14-15, he deserves a spot.
De Jongh doesn't offer more than him, IMO.

Also... Joe Pietersen totally overlooked... maybe he deserves a chance, anyway it's just the squad for Argentina tour, something can change after that!

Pietersen was outstanding in the first half of the season, but his form hit a bit of a slump. I certainly think he should have been in the squad, but undoubtedly Louis Ludik has been the best South African fullback.
Instead, Meyer will ruin the career of someone who could become one of the most talented standoffs of his generation because he can't play Bulleball.

Peter Grant is tough to call. I have seen him play some really solid matches for the Stormers, and then seen him just be entirely anonymous. He has the boot that Meyer desires, and better defence and playmaking abilities than Steyn. I'd rather him at outside half if Lambie is out of the question.

Who has two thumbs and can't pass, tackle, or run?

morne_steyn_gallery__563x400-420x0.jpg

Peter Grant is tough to call. I have seen him play some really solid matches for the Stormers, and then seen him just be entirely anonymous. He has the boot that Meyer desires, and better defence and playmaking abilities than Steyn. I'd rather him at outside half if Lambie is out of the question.

Totally agree.
He's not a god, but he's a solid player, a normal working man who can deliver good matches if he's surrounded by good players, good playmaker skills, quite big guy...

IMO South Africa won a RWC with a 10 that played almost exactly as Grant uses to play with the Stormers: Butch James.

Maybe he just isn't test rugby material, surely most useful than the guy with 2 thumbs (who really seems not to have them...)

Totally agree.
He's not a god, but he's a solid player, a normal working man who can deliver good matches if he's surrounded by good players, good playmaker skills, quite big guy...

IMO South Africa won a RWC with a 10 that played almost exactly as Grant uses to play with the Stormers: Butch James.

Maybe he just isn't test rugby material, surely most useful than the guy with 2 thumbs (who really seems not to have them...)

Both Maritzburg College boys as well.

You are saying exactly what I am getting at. OK, Grant isn't a world class outside half, but he offers so much more than Steyn.

There is a reason why Butch James was the starting fly-half and not Derick Hougaard back in 2007. Hougaard is a very static player, just like Morne Steyn. It might help if your whole gameplan revolves around him, but with the pack that is playing now (Bismarck, Coetzee, Mtawarira, Etzebeth) is full of players who are used to a different style. They play in a team that is more all-round and the pack is not there just to please Morne Steyn the way they do in Pretoria. It might sound wrong, but Morne Steyn is bakkie-engine stuck in an Audi car. It doesn't work.

More like an Audi engine in a bakkie, better metaphor.

Latest posts