• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 1: Italy Vs England (04/02/2018)

I really hope Gary Graham doesn't get the nod. We shouldn't be giving out caps purely to spite the Scots and I really don't think it can be argued that he's earned it.

25 retained, Teo and Graham to be dropped?

Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

Inside backs
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Back five
Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

Front row
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs) *
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

25 retained, Teo and Graham to be dropped?

Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

Inside backs
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Back five
Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

Front row
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs) *
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

Graham and Earle will be dropped is my guess.

Graham and Earle will be dropped is my guess.
I was thinking Earle but then when's the last time Teo played? Gotta be 3, 4, months ago. Putting him straight back into international rugby would be ludicrous.

I was thinking Earle but then when's the last time Teo played? Gotta be 3, 4, months ago. Putting him straight back into international rugby would be ludicrous.
Agreed but without him in there you've got no 10/12 cover and your only 13 cover is Nowell. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Te'o in at 22.

I'm expecting Te'o at 22, with Nowell and Earle fighting for the 23

Earle could stay in, if one of Brown, Nowell or Te'o could drop out unfit/injured.

If it's Brown, then Nowell goes to the wing, and Earle on the bench.

Considering the alternative would be testing his form fitness and injury on the Anglo Welsh then I think so, yes.

I cant believe he's going to start Brown in this. If so he's missing a trick as its an ideal game to start Watson at FB .
If Brown does start it would seem hes there for the duration.
I cant agree with that.

Without being callous is Italy really a step up from playing any Premiership side?
my only concern would be that he would have trouble keeping up with his own team... but in opposition terms it's either even or a step down

When is the team being announced ?

On one of the squad announcements about injury updates (I think from England Rugby?), it stated Wednesday 8pm would be the travelling squad announcement, and Friday morning would the match 23 announcement. Will try and find the article for you...

Italy is going to be announced tomorrow, 2 p.m. italian time zone.

I cant believe he's going to start Brown in this. If so he's missing a trick as its an ideal game to start Watson at FB .
If Brown does start it would seem hes there for the duration.
I cant agree with that.

Totally agree with you. I guess Brown is nailed down to start at 15 come the world cup next year? Not seen much movement in that position.

You cant really complain about the probable line up. I would have liked to see some differences though, especially since its Italy.

Brown will be 34 come next year which is older for a outside back. I thought that Watson would have been 1st choice by now.

Brown will be 34 come next year which is older for a outside back. I thought that Watson would have been 1st choice by now.
I don't understand why Brown is still around. What does he gave that we don't see but Eddie does?

Consistency, familiarity and a safe bet, I guess.
Brown isn't as bad as we make out on here - he's not as good as many other international fullbacks, especially on attack, but he's dependable and I can't recall many major **** ups in his England career
I wouldn't select him, but I guess I can see why Eddie does
He wants his speed and his flair on the wings and a steady pair of hands at the back.