• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

We all know he wants me, its the rest of thon tossers he can't deal with

Yeah that page is easily accessible to his tens of fans, this is ridiculous.

Rory O'Loughlin had a blinder at 13, admittedly against Treviso, scoring one and assisting two, I fail to see how he isn't our best option at 23 unless we have a back three with two of Gilroy, Trimble and Earls on the wings when a 15 would be needed. He's a far more natural 13 than Earls, its his primary position, and gives little up to any wing in the country. I hope that Byrne, ROL and Sweetnam have multiple caps by the end of the year, we haven't had a finisher of their potential and speed since Denis Hickie. (Read as Ireland's best wing ever)

Rory O'Loughlin had a blinder at 13, admittedly against Treviso, scoring one and assisting two, I fail to see how he isn't our best option at 23 unless we have a back three with two of Gilroy, Trimble and Earls on the wings when a 15 would be needed. He's a far more natural 13 than Earls, its his primary position, and gives little up to any wing in the country. I hope that Byrne, ROL and Sweetnam have multiple caps by the end of the year, we haven't had a finisher of their potential and speed since Denis Hickie. (Read as Ireland's best wing ever)

Is he a natural 13 though?
Agreed on your views on wings but can't see it.
Think Gilroy still has to put defensive rep to bed before he will be seriously considered. Schmidt hinted this

Did you actually watch the game or are you just going off the brief highlights the Pro 12 put out? :D

I have high hopes for RO'L but if you are suggesting that he's currently the best option for the 23 shirt at the moment you're pretty mistaken.

If they can stay fit and in form for the rest of the season you'd have to imagine that at least one of Byrne and Sweetman will be on plane to Japan. Zebo being on the Lions tour would be a big help for them.

Think Gilroy still has to put defensive rep to bed before he will be seriously considered. Schmidt hinted this

He's definitely a natural 13, played pretty much all of his rugby before this year there.

EDIT: The most important news from the Treviso game is that Carberry and DK made it through.

I look forward to everyone's reaction when DK is back at Carton House. :D

Last edited:
Did you actually watch the game or are you just going off the brief highlights the Pro 12 put out? :D

I have high hopes for RO'L but if you are suggesting that he's currently the best option for the 23 shirt at the moment you're pretty mistaken.

If they can stay fit and in form for the rest of the season you'd have to imagine that at least one of Byrne and Sweetman will be on plane to Japan. Zebo being on the Lions tour would be a big help for them.

The thing is how will they approach tour. As a development tour or a serious building tour

Its where he played in school and at 20's level and was his position in the academy, he looked better there than at wing earlier this season and would be Leinster's starter in the absence of Ringrose. The challenge will be keeping him comfortable playing both, which wasn't managed with Earls after his breakout season.

Alpha can you pm me. A peace offering kind of thing.

The issue with Earls is he was always going to be an international winger. Issue was he played all his underage at 13. He hasn't passing game and size for 13. Defensively we all know he can do a job 13 but isn't top of pile.

He's definitely a natural 13, played pretty much all of his rugby before this year there.

Read a few things too, he was down as a standout player.

I don't really see how it would be a mistake, he has his defensive issues but so do all our wings apart from Trimble, his passing is of a higher standard, his aerial game is good enough and his strike rate this season speaks for itself. Kicking is an issue but again Zebo is our best kicking wing and his talents are restricted there.

Big news. Sexton is not being released back to Leinster. But will train with Ireland. Is that a dangerous call.
Of he starts is it bad to not give him even a half.
If on bench is it not equally smart to top up minutes.

Read a few things too, he was down as a standout player.

I don't really see how it would be a mistake, he has his defensive issues but so do all our wings apart from Trimble, his passing is of a higher standard, his aerial game is good enough and his strike rate this season speaks for itself. Kicking is an issue but again Zebo is our best kicking wing and his talents are restricted there.

O'Loughlin has 15 senior appearances, that's less than Cathal Marsh. He's also never played under Schmidt. He ain't getting the 23 shirt this 6N. His strike rate is very good with 8 tries. They have come against Treviso during the 6N, Zebre (3), Northampton and Ulster; its promising but doesn't prove he has to be picked. As you're aware I do rate him but he's not ready for 6N rugby, he may well be very soon but for the moment Earls, Zebo, Trimble and DK are all undoubtedly better options for this Ireland. There's also others how have shown equal 'form' to RO'L and have done it for as long or longer. You brush over aerial ability and don't even mention rucking seeming to forget these are key attributes for Schmidt wingers.

O'Loughlin has 15 senior appearances, that's less than Cathal Marsh. He's also never played under Schmidt. He ain't getting the 23 shirt this 6N. His strike rate is very good with 8 tries. They have come against Treviso during the 6N, Zebre (3), Northampton and Ulster; its promising but doesn't prove he has to be picked. As you're aware I do rate him but he's not ready for 6N rugby, he may well be very soon but for the moment Earls, Zebo, Trimble and DK are all undoubtedly better options for this Ireland. There's also others how have shown equal 'form' to RO'L and have done it for as long or longer. You brush over aerial ability and don't even mention rucking seeming to forget these are key attributes for Schmidt wingers.

I'd say Dave Kearney strike rate is worst. Not a dig at Dave but I'd argue of he was put back in over youthful guys it could be a step back. Like who'd you pick as Leinsters top back e

Big news. Sexton is not being released back to Leinster. But will train with Ireland. Is that a dangerous call.
Of he starts is it bad to not give him even a half.
If on bench is it not equally smart to top up minutes.

I think he'll do a job when he comes in. He's done it before off long layoffs. Is it dangerous for him personally. No more than playing any other game. Sextons issues with his legs if they are to go bad are going to go bad no matter what level he plays at. Might be a different call if he was nursing a shoulder injury or something like that.

I think he'll do a job when he comes in. He's done it before off long layoffs. Is it dangerous for him personally. No more than playing any other game. Sextons issues with his legs if they are to go bad are going to go bad no matter what level he plays at. Might be a different call if he was nursing a shoulder injury or something like that.

Still I'd be weary. If he starts and goes early its a sub very early. If he comes on and goes. Does that put Murray to 10? It basically the usage of a sub and Schmidt has always been a believer of proving fitness. You'd think Sexton would be top of that list. O'Mahony was back with us today and will play vs Ospreys all going well

Sooo...

Let's just be optimistic for a sec and say we will beat France and Wales. Now, following on from that, we will be realistic. We won't get a TBP over France or Wales. England will get a TBP over Italy, and very likely against Scotland. If we managed to beat England, but they got a LBP, they would still win the championship. Wouldn't that be just, well, ****? Would probably provide for an insane game of rugby at least. Would probably be good revenge for the English, after that faithful day in 2015...

So in addition to having to be quite optimistic about our chances, we also need to hope to God that England don't score 4 tries against Scotland and that we beat them by 8+pts AND/OR we, provided we even win, get a TBP over France and Wales.

Hmmm. Idk, I think I like the old system better. Time will tell. I guess this sort of situation could theoretically also arise under the old format.

Last edited:

Latest posts