• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

Refs like Heaslip because he's too nice and doesn't give grief. But he needs to find the right balance and just gives the impression that he isn't comfortable in role. As for 9 debate I hope Murray is benched as we need him for HEC but if Reddan starts then that is bad because he is pushing on and well it'd be like ROG, he isn't in form and he played well for what 10mins so what he's had chances before and has never sealed the jersey. I'd much prefer Boss who is in form, can even be ok with Marshall as he's the future or be OTT and get McGrath in. But I still think Murray offers us the best package. And for what it worth Stringer has played a lot more with a lot more slower service but made up with the pass over the years if you truly watched Munster as our pack was more often than not slow at getting it back and offering options
As a massive aside (although somewhat related to this post), what did you think of Munster on the weekend Muffin, and Duncan Williams in particular? To me it looks like this guy simply isn't up to scratch at Rabo level. Admittedly, he was playing in a beaten team the other day but he's been poor all season. Worrying times for Munster if they can't find a better 2nd choice SH than him.

As a massive aside (although somewhat related to this post), what did you think of Munster on the weekend Muffin, and Duncan Williams in particular? To me it looks like this guy simply isn't up to scratch at Rabo level. Admittedly, he was playing in a beaten team the other day but he's been poor all season. Worrying times for Munster if they can't find a better 2nd choice SH than him.

Agree. Seen him numerous times and he has been poor.

Surprised Munster have stuck with him and basically discarded loyal little Peter Stringer. Who doesn't seem to be getting half the loyalty shown back to him that O'Gara does. Stuck on 98 caps and discarded by his home province. He's gone straight into the Bath starting lineup and scored 3 tries in 4 starts by the way.

Ha ha Feic I was in stadium and well I never rated Williams. It's bit political there. For instance he is 2nd choice 9 at Con behind Hurley who captained the Irish Clubs against England recently and shouldn't be near our team. Sheridan can be a very good international standard 9 but I think it more Penny shipped stringer to Bath and now feels he has to back his choice. Rumours are we are in market for an Irish qualified 9 but no names mentioned and I can't think of many abroad. Also biggest worry for us is Felix and Denis Hurley our 2 15s are in worst form I've ever seen them in and it so bad I'd hope Zebo returns at 15 or Earls moves there and I can see Conway getting serious shot here next year. But to say simply Williams is there on politics and isn't top 10 9s here. I've seen better in Junior Leagues

Am I the only one who is sadistically hoping that in the Ireland - France game that ROG and Michalak will come on at about 60 minutes with the score tied? The rest of the six nations is just Kidney's and this teams walk of shame unfortunately, at least it might encourage BOD to stick around for one more.

Am I the only one who is sadistically hoping that in the Ireland - France game that ROG and Michalak will come on at about 60 minutes with the score tied? The rest of the six nations is just Kidney's and this teams walk of shame unfortunately, at least it might encourage BOD to stick around for one more.

Hahahaha !....hadn't thought about that, very good ! :lol:
Michalak will start throwing the passes RIGHT IN other players' face and allow an intercept try, and ROG will start kicking the ball to French wingers within his own 22...

Speaking of BOD, haven't followed everything that's been said on here uhm...wasn't he sort of invisible this match ?? Everybody noticed that Marshall fellow at center, but BOD...I have no memory of him that match, maybe I'm missing smt ?

The battle of the two tactical masterminds in the coaching positions is enough for me.

Back line for next week (fingers crossed)
9. Stringer (in blinding form for Bath)
10. Andy Dunne (players and a coach AMAZING)
11.Andrew conway (mans got wheels)
12. Andrew Trimble (mans a steam train)
13. Gavin Duffy (injured but he can play through the pain)
14. John O'Brien (normally full-back, extraordinary skill as was Buccaneers player of the year in 2011 WOOO!)
15. Mike Prendergast (working wonders for young munster)

No **** i think this team woulda beat scotland
Also Tom Hayes in lock and Steenson on the bench
I <3 the sound of that team!

Scotland!!!!

Our Back three are amazing. Every big line break that Ireland had, our back three was able to stop and slow down. These guys are unreal. I also think Weir should possible get a start over Jackson. As for Lamont, he plays hard, makes some big tackles and gets stuck in, but Max would do a better job at getting the ball to the back three.

Hogg has to be headed to Aus. He was great defensively and his kick at goal was not bad at all.

Scotland need to hold on to the ball more, and run with it. They still did far to much kicking from their own half instead of trying to run it out.

Scotland!!!!

Our Back three are amazing. Every big line break that Ireland had, our back three was able to stop and slow down. These guys are unreal. I also think Weir should possible get a start over Jackson. As for Lamont, he plays hard, makes some big tackles and gets stuck in, but Max would do a better job at getting the ball to the back three.

Hogg has to be headed to Aus. He was great defensively and his kick at goal was not bad at all.

Scotland need to hold on to the ball more, and run with it. They still did far to much kicking from their own half instead of trying to run it out.

They were hardly unreal

Dougy, how you feeling about Scott Johnson at the moment? Possible long term thing?

Agree. Seen him numerous times and he has been poor.

Surprised Munster have stuck with him and basically discarded loyal little Peter Stringer. Who doesn't seem to be getting half the loyalty shown back to him that O'Gara does. Stuck on 98 caps and discarded by his home province. He's gone straight into the Bath starting lineup and scored 3 tries in 4 starts by the way.

The way I've heard it - money. Stringer's on a fair whack, stick him on loan and you save enough for Munster's current finances to find it worthwhile.

Having watched the match live I thought to myself, how on earth did Scotland manage to win. So I watched it again it's amazing what you actually miss the first time round. What was apparent to me was just how harsh Barnes was being on Scotland at the breakdown. Practically every Irish scrum was folded by Ireland, yet they benefited from Barnes one to you, one to them policy. Grant's yellow card was a joke and I'm pretty sure that is why Harely went unpunished for the tackle in the air. Personally feel that if the rucks had been better policed then Ireland would not have had the possession they enjoyed in the first half.

Dougy, how you feeling about Scott Johnson at the moment? Possible long term thing?

The way I've heard it - money. Stringer's on a fair whack, stick him on loan and you save enough for Munster's current finances to find it worthwhile.
Stringer isn't on big money and was loaned 100% only because he wanted certain amount of game time and was refused straight up. Bath only pay a portions of wage also. But Stringer on an average provincial contract and money isn't reason

Our Back three are amazing. Every big line break that Ireland had, our back three was able to stop and slow down.

I wouldn't read too much into that.

Luke Marshall threw a poor pass to Gilroy.

Earls butchered two.

The forwards delayed badly at a ruck after about 10 mins which prob cost a try.

On another day, if we hadn't erred so badly, we'd have scored (at least) 4 tries...

Not really good news - just someone saying they'd like him to be coach.
Not as if he's come out and said he wants it.

Would like him to stay in the AP he has done great things with quins and I like the style of rugby they play (apart from when they are beating Tigers)

Sunday was a fab win for us, gives us a chance of finishing 3rd for once, after regular 4th,5th and 6th finishes in the last decade or so.

Although the win was undeserved I still think the lads showed great determination, especially in the 2nd half and in the final 7 or 8 minutes when they had to defend for their lives.

If we can win against France or Wales that would be a great campaign for us, 3 wins in the same 6N is a rarity for the Scots in the recent era. To win them both would be an extraordinary, let alone fantastic achievement but can't see it happening in this universe or the next.

Must say too as it has gone bit unnoticed but Dean Ryan is doing well with Scots pack

Must say too as it has gone bit unnoticed but Dean Ryan is doing well with Scots pack

+1

Simple effective stuff. Get the ball, get it to their dangerous runners.

[Albeit, Ireland pretty much nullified them at the weekend.]

Yeah as in I not saying they finished article but the improvement is evident.

Latest posts