• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess...What do we think?

Wales are anything but flamboyant, they are the ultimate example of front up smashy type rugby, second only to South Africa in that department. In the NH I don't think we really do flamboyant and France on a good day would be the best example.

Burgess IMO will become the face of NH Rugby...one that is badly needed.

Really? I met Sam in person, the next time I see him, I'm going to give him your regards ;)

141018121013476729.jpg

Wales are anything but flamboyant, they are the ultimate example of front up smashy type rugby, second only to South Africa in that department. In the NH I don't think we really do flamboyant and France on a good day would be the best example.
France on a good day can tie one of their boots without needing help.

Since Gatland took over tis true they have gone more brutish....shows what slim pickings there is regards flamboyant play that they are still the best example in the NH.

The Lions 3rd test was so much about the running of the Welsh backs, tearing apart a pretty ordinary Aussie side at will.

Since Gatland took over tis true they have gone more brutish....shows what slim pickings there is regards flamboyant play that they are still the best example in the NH.

You are literally the only person in the entire world that thinks that, though.

Ok there's no flamboyant teams then.

There are flamboyant moments from Welsh backs when they are let off the brutish leash that is Gatlandball.

Just wait and see

If Burgess brings the kind of form he has displayed (especially within the last 2 years at Souths) into the union game I have no doubt he will break into England early.
There was always very little time for him to shine but I believe such is his class that was within his grasp (Robinson came into the game and broke into England within a similar time frame). The injury from the grand final however has thrown a massive spanner in the works, but even so I still think he can do it.
Burgess is/was a prop forward in league?? Yes he has played at prop many times, but no more so than he has played within Lock or loose forward rolls (especially the last 3 tears). There is little doubt in my mind that the only way/position he will make an immediate statement is within the backs at Inside Centre.
Yes he obviously has the size/strength etc to play anywhere in the back row but that would just be a pure waste. There would be no chance of him learning/getting comfortable with the technical aspects of set piece and in the areas he would be generally operating in he would I believe still show a good account of himself but not excel for at least a couple of season.

I also see a few comments in regards to his passing/kicking abilities? I have to say these people can not have watched him in the NRL.
There will always be the purists of union that would disagree with a league convert coming straight into the England set up, but lets face it as good as our current crop of centres are at club level, we have not had a stable centre partnership in the England Squad that you would call world class for ??????? . Burgess has that ability.

Having played both codes within the backs yes there is plenty for him to learn or change, some say the tackle area but that is not an issue there is no shoulder barge in league anymore nor are high shots accepted. The only thing to get to grips with is the ground work. In fact I would argue that in loose play there is far more for a league forward to get to grips with than what's in union. You do not see many union forwards linking into technical backs moves. That's is constant in most positions in league.

I believe Sam will have the same issues that those switching to Union have, i.e., learning basically a new game. So, the quickest way forward is to play inside centre. To play as a backrower is helluva a stretch in the short term, but it's where I think he would like to be in the long term because his game is all about involvement with that enormous workrate and commitment. Forget the idea that he's played as a prop in League because in the modern game you've basically got 13 backs with the 6 slowest and/or biggest being deemed as forwards. And the scrum in League requires no technical knowledge as it's just a means to restart play. A scrum against the head is akin to hens teeth.

He's a wonderful player with many Australian commentators saying he's the best Pom since Malcolm Reilly. That's some rap, but deserved. Like the previous poster pointed out, the shoulder charge and high shots are being eradicated because offenders go immediately on report to the judiciary; his tackling is spot on as well in that he's a good low tackler; has also created quite a few tries with his offloads.

For me, his greatest gift is the attitude he brings to the teams he plays in. He was the natural leader by deed at the Bunnies. There's that buzz about him that I've seen in very few players. He will lift those around him.

Best Pom since....

"Pome"...prisoner of Mother England apparently. Given that convicts were sent to Australia, is this some sort of reverse logic?

English bloke arrives in Australia and is met by an Aussie Customs officer; "Any previous criminal convictions?".... "Didn't think we still needed to"

I agree btw Sam at inside centre. Can't wait to see him as soon as.

@SimonG - how is it that you see Burgess as the guy to bring back flamboyant rugby? He will be used to crash the ball up the middle almost exclusively. He is the prime example of a guy built for the war of attrition rugby you seem to hate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SimonG - how is it that you see Burgess as the guy to bring back flamboyant rugby? He will be used to crash the ball up the middle almost exclusively. He is the prime example of a guy built for the war of attrition rugby you seem to hate.

He's not flamboyant but what is he is is a line breaker...repeatedly, and he has soft hands in the off load. In the Radio Times it was stated; "there are no line breakers in Union"...and while that may be a slight exaggeration the game is nothing like it used to be. The last Rugby World Cup final..,New Zealand 8 - 7 France...a game with virtually none. Repeat thats a game involving France. Unthinkable a decade ago. The game has changed massively, and the main entertaining aspects of Rugby, free attacking running and line breaks, are now at a premium.

Sam Burgess is the sole reason my spirits have been lifted on the game recently. He's an awesome talent and my hope is he gets the platform to produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Radio Times it was stated; "there are no line breakers in Union"...

By a RL player trying to promote RL you ****wit.

In the Aviva Premiership final there were 25 line breaks - compared with just 5 in the NRL's grand final.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter who said it, it would look ridiculous if it didn't have a grain of truth in it.

New Zealand 8 - 7 France ..."no line breakers need apply"

Doesn't matter who said it, it would look ridiculous if it didn't have a grain of truth in it.

New Zealand 8 - 7 France ..."no line breakers need apply"

One game.
That happened three years ago.

Nice argument.

He's not flamboyant but what is he is is a line breaker...repeatedly, and he has soft hands in the off load. In the Radio Times it was stated; "there are no line breakers in Union"...and while that may be a slight exaggeration the game is nothing like it used to be. The last Rugby World Cup final..,New Zealand 8 - 7 France...a game with virtually none. Repeat thats a game involving France. Unthinkable a decade ago. The game has changed massively, and the main entertaining aspects of Rugby, free attacking running and line breaks, are now at a premium.

Sam Burgess is the sole reason my spirits have been lifted on the game recently. He's an awesome talent and my hope is he gets the platform to produce.

totally agree with you there, man. 24 years before that, we would get smashed and lose by a lot more than 1 point !! :D
Uh oh, bratsappendix has just mutated into his rat terrier mode. When you start to see stars appearing everywhere in his posts, he's turned into ratsterrier-ix (not Asterix, silly) and it's too late. The barking becomes an unstoppable mild annoyance, beware Simon. It's been known to cause slight frowning, it's quite something.

As for the actual points being made about Burgess, yeah, he's a line breaker. Why, somebody denying that ? He's a physical specimen first (it appears at least, I've only seen a bunch of highlights - don't do league..), a Rugby player second. He may have good hands, yeah...he's a very big dude who'll do his team a world of good in this modern makeup of the game...he's another MASS Gordon, ready to save the universe (well, England at least..).

MAAASS !!! *booom* AAAH-AAHH !!! His first name for crying out loud is fkng "Mass" backwards, I mean, could it BEE more clear ? Mass Burgess...mmm...I like it...

Just block him.

there should really, really be a TRF token "just block him" theme song...like, "Can't touch dis" yeah, that beat - "Just block him" tahh dah dah dah....yeh, pretty cool..

Latest posts