• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

A combination of not usually getting involved in mud slinging back and forth as per the above and also being incredibly verbose when I do write something.
Nah I'm referring to your amount of posts not your ratio. You've been around forever and have very few posts.

Nah I'm referring to your amount of posts not your ratio. You've been around forever and have very few posts.

Just dip in and out when work & life permit, which is unfortunately not too often.

1) Anyone who loves rugby, loves Schalk Brits
2) Look in any of my historical posts, I've always been a proponent of our national team first and foremost.
3) I put a decent amount of thought and objective reason into 99% of the posts I write, which is probably why I have the highest likes-to-posts ratio I've seen on this forum. I'm sorry that you seem to be one of the few people who doesn't appreciate that approach.
4) I think they/we should be punished for the no show, just like they/we should be punished for the cap breach for as many seasons as they/we remain over the cap. I feel a bit sorry for some of the players that weren't involved or thought it was legal and that's about it.
1) Not sure about that, but I like the guy!

2) I would wager the vast majority of my posts on here are regarding international rugby (as are the majority of posts on this forum) because that's how it leans.

3) I had a very similar ratio until you and alt account landed today attempting to troll so might want to keep that arrogance/hubris in check, aside from which yours wasn't the highest ratio I've seen either. Not that it is the be-all and end-all anyway. I appreciate if you desist with the strawmanning though.

4) I think there should be a discussion regarding how complicit the players are in proceedings. It is a bit suspect that Saracens do not allow player agents too.

As per my previous post, you will by and large avoid discussion and smack that downvote so it's probably best left there. I think you've been a little bit disingenuous in this thread and the evidence lends itself to that.

How about a Sarries related question? If as Wray claimed it was all in aid of player welfare why is it that no evidence has surfaced of "squad players" entering into these big money businesses, surely it would apply to the whole of the team? Also the offshore account payments, is this normal? I don't recall hearing about Wasps paying into offshore accounts when they were late paying image rights.

Last edited:
1) Not sure about that, but I like the guy!

2) I would wager the vast majority of my posts on here are regarding international rugby (as are the majority of posts on this forum) because that's how it leans.

3) I had a very similar ratio until you and alt account landed today attempting to troll so might want to keep that arrogance/hubris in check, aside from which yours wasn't the highest ratio I've seen either. Not that it is the be-all and end-all anyway. I appreciate if you desist with the strawmanning though.

4) I think there should be a discussion regarding how complicit the players are in proceedings. It is a bit suspect that Saracens do not allow player agents too.

As per my previous post, you will by and large avoid discussion and smack that downvote so it's probably best left there. I think you've been a little bit disingenuous in this thread and the evidence lends itself to that.

How about a Sarries related question? If as Wray claimed it was all in aid of player welfare why is it that no evidence has surfaced of "squad players" entering into these big money businesses, surely it would apply to the whole of the team? Also the offshore account payments, is this normal? I don't recall hearing about Wasps paying into offshore accounts when they were late paying image rights.
On the Nigel Wray, I think he's probably talking a load of rubbish because he's been caught.
But one thing I just will not accept is...that you only like and don't live Brits

Yes every club should and probably at some point either has or will be investigated but Sarries are the most obvious, I think every club at some point has kept money off of the balance sheet, you offer someone 500k over 2 years, you give them a house worth 300k and you put them on the balance sheet at 100k a year, a few ex pros have eluded to this.

Sarries are top dogs because of their action's that's the point, your not going after someone for being good, your going after them because they cheated to get there...

Yes they are top dogs largely for that reason, there is little doubt but do you know 100% no other team are guilty of breaching the cap? Secondly had Sarries not been so successfully this would still be happening, these both seem to be points I have raised and are dismissed as facts.

Yes they are top dogs largely for that reason, there is little doubt but do you know 100% no other team are guilty of breaching the cap? Secondly had Sarries not been so successfully this would still be happening, these both seem to be points I have raised and are dismissed as facts.
Do you 100% know they are?

Why would the PRL take on Saracens, poster boys of English rugby, supplier of a large number of internationals, only English club with any success in Europe in recent years, with the weight of an incredibly wealthy financiers legal team behind them - while simultaneously letting everyone else get away with it?
They're the last club you'd pick a fight with.

I mean Wasps were caught (for a minor breach) last year, so it's not like everyone else isn't being looked at.

As Tigs Man (I think?) mentioned above it seems like a number of clubs were caught in 2015, but everyone agreed to keep it on the downlow and move on - Sarries kept on with it in a blatant way so have felt the full weight of disciplinary action.

Do you 100% know they are?

Why would the PRL take on Saracens, poster boys of English rugby, supplier of a large number of internationals, only English club with any success in Europe in recent years, with the weight of an incredibly wealthy financiers legal team behind them - while simultaneously letting everyone else get away with it?
They're the last club you'd pick a fight with.

I mean Wasps were caught (for a minor breach) last year, so it's not like everyone else isn't being looked at.

As Tigs Man (I think?) mentioned above it seems like a number of clubs were caught in 2015, but everyone agreed to keep it on the downlow and move on - Sarries kept on with it in a blatant way so have felt the full weight of disciplinary action.

Well a lot of that could be the pressure others have put on the league due to being hacked off at Sarries being so dominant who knows I am basing it on opinions, I unfortunately do not have the facts.
Imagine if they got relegated retained their squad, English clubs were the laughing stock of Europe, the national team became ****, that's basically what a lot of people are proposing clearly don't care for the national team that much.

Full time mod has got to be worth some extra likes also. Should go for that, happy to do a character reference. ;)

Listening to Rugby Union Weekly. Chris Ashton seems to think that if it doesn't come in a paypacket with WAGES written on it, it doesn't fall under salary cap restrictions..... "It's really expensive to live in London" ... Yes Chris, that's why people in London are generally PAID more.... Whatever heading you put it under, welfare, investments, financial help, surely it's all money towards that player and hence part of the wage structure.

There's a report doing the rounds that Saracens are in advanced talks to sign prominent Stormers flanker Cobus Wiese on a 5-year deal which could potentially mean that he could become eligible to play for England.

Which brings me to my question: Is Saracens allowed to buy new players? Will this or any other potential deal involving Saracens buying players be stopped/prevented in some way?

They have appealed against the decision and according to the BBC, the outcome of that won't be until next year, so they can continue what they've been doing until then. Even if it's upheld, the punishment is a fine and points deduction so they are quite able to sign players... As long as they don't breach the salary cap. On papaer, what they pay as a salary to their players is under the cap, the issue is with "Co-Investments" between the owner and some players, Saracens don't think this constitutes salary, the league does. So if they stop, there won't be a problem.

So, to answer your question... Yes, they can sign new players.

So the co investments is whats pushing them over the salary cap but persumably they wont take any money back that they have invested just not invest more. So next year these players will have a decent amount in the bank to use therefor might accept lower salary that they are on and keep the business going on the side(are they property?). Sarries might retain a good amount of players.

Alternatively the players may just say thanks for the investment but without further i want a high salary or im off.

'Scuse me, when did this become a "fact"?

More to the point, what's the relevance to salary cap avoidance? I've said before that I'd be interested to see if Exeter could find an alternative main sponsor to replace SW Telecoms like for like if Tony Rowe decided to withdraw his / his company's support, but I've never seen any implication of any wrong doing (nor intended to imply any myself). If it turned out to be true, my only gripe would be that it makes the plaudits about making a profit (rather than "investors" making up the short fall) very hollow.

Latest posts