Recent Salary cap stories...

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ibility-English-club-game-grave-jeopardy.html

Those are phrases heard by this column in recent months â€" from a prominent player and a leading club official â€" amid simmering unrest about an explosive issue, which is seen by many as cheating on a par with use of illegal substances. This week’s revelations that investigations into alleged breaches have been suspended after a deal was struck by the leading clubs have re-opened raw wounds.Sportsmail has learned that certain clubs under suspicion threatened to go to the European Courts to legally challenge the legitimacy of the salary cap and potentially sue the competition’s organisers â€" and even their own rivals. This, along with a threat to block the agreement of a new TV deal led to those clubs wishing to expose sharp practice being bullied into line.
It is understood that a shareholders meeting late last month was beset by acrimonious exchanges between the faction deemed to be sweeping the matter under the carpet and the larger group striving to ensure that abuse of the cap was suitably punished. Yet, with the threats of legal action and a block on all significant business requiring a majority vote, the up-shot was that any wrong-doing is now unlikely to ever come to light.
This has become farcical. It is no way to run a sport â€" an administrative and governance approach which amounts to eyes being closed and fingers being shoved in ears. See no evil, hear no evil. There may soon be a move to end the secrecy surrounding this thorny issue. Not before time.

It certainly is farcical if that info is accurate - not exactly surprising though, given the personalities involved...

I've been thinking for a long time now that the great white hope for English rugby is that the RFU and RPA join up to start a new domestic competition completely divorced from the PRL.

Because clubs have history and have rivalries.

You think Saints and Tigers fans are gonna muck in and support the East Midlands Eagles?

That's not necessary... Franchises don't need to be Americanised or even new entities.

I didn't mention franchises anyway - I said a new competition.

I rather we just kicked said clubs out if they want to try and Sue when they can't follow the rules.

Let them join the top 14 or something.

FYI would rather watch Leicester lions than a East Midlands team.

Terrible idea. Look at Wales.

Or conversely, look at Ireland. And for all of the failings of the Welsh system, their international record since professionalism speaks for itself. Is this due to the regions? Hard to know.

Anyway, there's too much established history in the Prem, as everyone pointed out. If the RFU could run a competition with the existing sides, or sides very similar, it could be fun, but otherwise it's a non runner.

Or conversely, look at Ireland. And for all of the failings of the Welsh system, their international record since professionalism speaks for itself. Is this due to the regions? Hard to know.

Not really the same.

Ireland has always had a tradition of regions... Wales haven't, and Englands regions outside of, Yorkshire, Lancashire and the south west hasn't.

@ratsapprentice you need to explain it better then mate, because it reads like that's what you are advocating. (Sorry that reads really off, not meant to be)

Last edited by a moderator:
because it reads like that's what you are advocating.

Not sure how you extrapolate an advocation of franchises from...

RFU and RPA join up to start a new domestic competition completely divorced from the PRL.

I also disagree that England has no history of regionalism, that's absurd.
Whilst some of the home and midlands counties may lack strong and distinct county identities in favour of broader regional ones, there are many counties who do have strong identities.

The similarities between this attitude and the UCI's systematic covering up of doping in elite cycling are a bit worrying. You cannot just ignore rule breaking because those doing it are powerful. It'll ruin the trust in your sport.

(Statement of obvious)

Whilst I hate the thought of getting rid of the salary cap, and it gives the feeling that the troublemakers have "won", I find it less grievous than a two-tier system, where the troublemakers get a different set of rules from the rest.

Legally, what is stopping the PRL from kicking out teams that abuse the salary cap? i.e. clubs have a legal right to exceed the salary cap, but the PRL reserves the right to remove these teams from their competition if they do so?

There would be no point in the premiership, it'd just be a warm up for the euros for the 4 or 5 sides that can afford to go nuts.
Might as well just cut straight to the playoffs for the 4 sides with the biggest budgets.

Legally, what is stopping the PRL from kicking out teams that abuse the salary cap? i.e. clubs have a legal right to exceed the salary cap, but the PRL reserves the right to remove these teams from their competition if they do so?

This is what I don't understand...

There would be no point in the premiership, it'd just be a warm up for the euros for the 4 or 5 sides that can afford to go nuts.
Might as well just cut straight to the playoffs for the 4 sides with the biggest budgets.

Then why isn't this the case in France ? Team's like Castres, Toulouse, Toulon,Clermont, Montpellier, Racing Metro all look to be winning the comp with Stade/Brive/Bordeaux all looking at European places.

Now being honest I'm sure we are in the centre of this. Saracens and Bath seem to be cheating the cap, just going by them being investigated. Why has this all tried to be covered up though ? It seemed that everyone wanted to really bring to light the cheaters now this situation has arisen...

Latest posts