• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA franchises in 2013

I have to say Stormers are shaping up nicely, much better than the squad at the beginning of last year that had a few holes in it.

1. Kitsoff
2. Tiaan
3. Cilliers
4. Etzebeth
5. Bekker
6. Kolisi
7. Schalk
8. Vermulen
9. Duvenage
10. Jantjies
11. Habana
12. JdV
13. JdJ
14. Aplon
15. Pietersen (Taute? :D )

That's a scary team with no injuries, some depth there as well.

I have to say Stormers are shaping up nicely, much better than the squad at the beginning of last year that had a few holes in it.

1. Kitsoff
2. Tiaan
3. Cilliers
4. Etzebeth
5. Bekker
6. Kolisi
7. Schalk
8. Vermulen
9. Duvenage
10. Jantjies
11. Habana
12. JdV
13. JdJ
14. Aplon
15. Pietersen (Taute? :D )

That's a scary team with no injuries, some depth there as well.

TBH I'd have Groom in there at 9. Jantjies is an experienced enough campaigner already and I trust him with the game management that Groom's quicker service just might help us out by giving Jantjies that half second more time. If we could get Taute then I'd say we are shaping up very well indeed with a bakcs bench of 20 Duvenhage, 21 Grant and 22 Pietersen being very experienced subs. Malherbe, Fourie, Elstadt and Koster not too bad to have on the bench either, yeah.

Taute and Elton hasn't confirmed anything yet, so there's still a chance that they might go to other Franchises.

The Bulls I think will implement a rotation structure around their youngsters, giving each guy equal time on the pitch, until the coach is satisfied of who will make the jersey his own.

I think Mapoe and JJ will play both wing and centre equally. (Although, it will be some serious pace if they combine as 12 and 13 with Mapoe at 12). But I have a strong feeling both will start out on the wing, with the youngsters in the midfield, and as the game goes on, one of them will move to 13...

I heard but I've already gotten my hopes up and can't imagine any other outcome.

TBH I'd have Groom in there at 9. Jantjies is an experienced enough campaigner already and I trust him with the game management that Groom's quicker service just might help us out by giving Jantjies that half second more time. If we could get Taute then I'd say we are shaping up very well indeed with a bakcs bench of 20 Duvenhage, 21 Grant and 22 Pietersen being very experienced subs. Malherbe, Fourie, Elstadt and Koster not too bad to have on the bench either, yeah.
Agreed but I don't think it will happen, in terms of Groom starting that is, he doesn't do enough pointless box-kicking to be selected for a South African SR side.

Even the forward cover isn't bad. 16 Fourie 17 Malherbe 18 Elstadt 19 Armand/Car (Also worth noting we signed Ruan Botha from the Lions, another massive lock (2.04) from the u21 ranks. I believe Koster is off to Bath? Or is that just a rumor I picked up somewhere?

From what I've heard, Jantjies will confirm his move to Cape Town on Sunday. Taute moving to Cape Town is not a done deal yet.

Agreed but I don't think it will happen, in terms of Groom starting that is, he doesn't do enough pointless box-kicking to be selected for a South African SR side.

Even the forward cover isn't bad. 16 Fourie 17 Malherbe 18 Elstadt 19 Armand/Car (Also worth noting we signed Ruan Botha from the Lions, another massive lock (2.04) from the u21 ranks. I believe Koster is off to Bath? Or is that just a rumor I picked up somewhere?

Well, a man can dream. With a 9 that delivers quick ball and snipes every now and again to keep the opposition honest our backline might get the space to release what is a very dangerous back three not even considering the way De Jongh can make his opposition look clumsy if he has the leaast bit of space to work his magic.

Signing Botha was a good move. Hopefully he'll stay on for the long haul unlike Roux. His inclusion in the squad also frees up Elstadt to play at flank which we would require if Koster is indeed moving on.

From what I've heard, Jantjies will confirm his move to Cape Town on Sunday. Taute moving to Cape Town is not a done deal yet.

My brother says Elton is not telling anyone what he's going to do. not even his parents know yet. He told his brother and some of his UJ friends yesterday that his focus is on the All Blacks game and he will only think of his future plans on Sunday...

That is good news. We are in dire need of someone like Jantjies. Taute would be gravy but Jantjies and Cilliers fill BIG holes WP have.

can someone plz sign JJ and make him an outside centre??? He is wasted talent on the wing... the bulls are too dumb to see his potential...

can someone plz sign JJ and make him an outside centre??? He is wasted talent on the wing... the bulls are too dumb to see his potential...

Oh...

because before he came to the Bulls he was just a winger at the Stormers. only when he came to the Bulls was he used as an outside centre...

Numbnuts!

Oh...

because before he came to the Bulls he was just a winger at the Stormers. only when he came to the Bulls was he used as an outside centre...

Numbnuts!

serious?? did the bulls play him as on 13 :O respect!!! look like someone there can think...

how many games did he feature on 13???

Taute coming to Cape Town :)

I pray and trust that he'll play at 15 (and Lambie at 10 at the Sharks). That'd be best for both WP (the Sharks) and the Bokke.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Taute-set-on-Stormers-move-20121011

Thinking about these (hopefully all 5) Lions coming to CT got me wondering what a Lions team that kept all their stars during the years could've looked like. Off the top of my head;

1 Guthro Steenkamp
2 Bandise Maku (couldn't think of anyone better)
3 Brian Mujati
4 Gerhard Mostert
5 Franco van der Merwe
6 Cobus Grobbelaar
7 Willem Alberts
8 Ernst Joubert
9 Jano Vermaak
10 Elton Jantjies
11 Bryan Habana
12 Doppies La Grange
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Lionel Mapoe
15 Louis Ludik

16 Pat Cilliers
17 Willie Wepener
18 Anton van Zyl
19 Joe van Niekerk
20 Ricky Januarie LOL
21 Butch James
22 Jaco Taute

Pity how far the team that was the Bok backbone in our successful 1995 campaign has fallen!

Last edited:
Congrats!! Now another Springbok can spend the majority of the season on the bench while the other Springboks play in his place for the same team... How's the forwards hunting going??

Taute will get time at 15 don't you worry. If you're referring to JdV and JdJ then I'd disagree with you that 13 is where he should play and I'm sure HM will get wise as well. Playing both Taute and Lambie out of place just because they were put out of place at their franchises is not progressive thinking IMO. It is shaping up that both will play in their preferred position next year though thankfully.

As for the forwards we are looking pretty good. Burger is set to be back from the 2nd week of SR action to join Kolisi and Vermeulen. Kitshoff and Cilliers are 2nd in their positions in SA IMO, Etzebeth and Bekker 1st. Liebenberg and Fourie are both good enough for SR and with back up in the form of Elstadt, Botha, Koster (?), Rhodes, Malherbe and Carr we should be fine. Flo and Schalk Brits are still on my list and the way things have gone our way... maybe even another good LH prop and Mujati would join as well LOL.

Taute will get time at 15 don't you worry. If you're referring to JdV and JdJ then I'd disagree with you that 13 is where he should play and I'm sure HM will get wise as well. Playing both Taute and Lambie out of place just because they were put out of place at their franchises is not progressive thinking IMO. It is shaping up that both will play in their preferred position next year though thankfully.

As for the forwards we are looking pretty good. Burger is set to be back from the 2nd week of SR action to join Kolisi and Vermeulen. Kitshoff and Cilliers are 2nd in their positions in SA IMO, Etzebeth and Bekker 1st. Liebenberg and Fourie are both good enough for SR and with back up in the form of Elstadt, Botha, Koster (?), Rhodes, Malherbe and Carr we should be fine. Flo and Schalk Brits are still on my list and the way things have gone our way... maybe even another good LH prop and Mujati would join as well LOL.

No, I mean at 15... WP and the Stormers love to use the race-card. and i fear that Taute will become a victim of this. between Gio Aplon and JDJ, Taute will be between a rock and a hard place... I think Taute is holding thumbs that Elton also joins the Stormers so that he will be allowed to play more games...

Latest posts