• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Romania (17/09/2023)

In SA, by the time you are out of school you have played virtually every position in the 15.
That's true, I think the only positions I didn't play were prop and fullback.

Marx was crucial for SA to win the RWC, i think our chances may have taken a slip with his injury

Marx was crucial for SA to win the RWC, i think our chances may have taken a slip with his injury
I reckon we good enough to overcome it, but I guarantee every team we play is way happier he isn't there. Its like Sheehan missing from Ireland. Just huge.

A big hit especially on top of the ones we've already taken. I'd rather Marx there and Libbok than Mbonambi with Pollard as starters if that makes any sense as a hypothetical. But we've had a big game and players will get injured. The frustration is that it's during training.

Huge blow to SA. Very fortunate they have an excellent player to come straight in but it reduces the 80 minute depth a little. Still a fearsome front row and pack mind.

Would it be a good idea to give Deon Fourie a start at hooker then and not risk Mbonambi unnecessarily?

Rassie happy to risk the Ireland game to see if he can survive with one hooker by the looks of it. Well unless Romania goes terribly.

Marx is a big loss but not near big enough to say SA aren't contenders anymore, definitely still capable of beating France or Ireland without him and after that the others will pick up injuries.

Hooker is probably the only spot where one injury hurts the boks chances but the team is still very good. Just gotta hope good bongi comes out in the group stage.

Kind of think that bringing in a hooker is more important than maybe getting pollard back in the squad.

Key players not featuring this World Cup. Marx for South Africa, Ntamack, Willemse for France, etc.
Pity
De Jager, Am, Pollard. Is Marchand also not out?
Hooker is probably the only spot where one injury hurts the boks chances but the team is still very good. Just gotta hope good bongi comes out in the group stage.

Kind of think that bringing in a hooker is more important than maybe getting pollard back in the squad.
Agreed.

Etzebeth is pretty big too, if he's out next week I'd say we're favourites. Which doesn't necessarily help us because if we were to lose that it'd be a fairly statement loss, losing to a full strength Boks is recoverable.

Etzebeth is pretty big too, if he's out next week I'd say we're favourites. Which doesn't necessarily help us because if we were to lose that it'd be a fairly statement loss, losing to a full strength Boks is recoverable.
Etzebeth at least is still in the squad and if not vs Ireland it is expected that he would be 100% for a potential QF.

Italy were unlucky with the draw this year. England, Wales, Australia and Argentina are all within their reach.
I'm still waiting for SBs new firsts, England seniors defeated by Italy, only team they haven't beaten in the 6 nations I believe.

Good to see Gontineac come in at 12 (no idea why he was on the bench last time). Generally some continuity in the Romanian side so surely they cannot defend as horrifically as last week and the reduced heat should not sap their strength so much. Plus Boks with 4x scrumhalves in the side and no starting credible goal kicker all helps.

But Boks are number 1 at 'running up the score' and can put 60 on Italy and Wales.

Boks 89 - 6 Romania :(

News24 (generally a top news source in South Africa) is reporting that Pollard is already traveling to meet up with the Springboks, with the announcement only set to take place after Sunday's game. He is expected to skip the Ireland game, but to play against Tonga.

News24 (generally a top news source in South Africa) is reporting that Pollard is already traveling to meet up with the Springboks, with the announcement only set to take place after Sunday's game. He is expected to skip the Ireland game, but to play against Tonga.

Excellent news for the player and squad. Although I think the Boks could be fine with Faf plus Libbok, what if Faf gets injured? A reliable kicker is definitely required vs Ireland, France and NZ.

I heard Libbok has a NZ based kicking coach. Getting 10s and 15s who can actually kick penalties consistently (and a domestic kicking coach) should be a point of emphasis for SA rugby in the next RWC cycle.

Excellent news for the player and squad. Although I think the Boks could be fine with Faf plus Libbok, what if Faf gets injured? A reliable kicker is definitely required vs Ireland, France and NZ.

I heard Libbok has a NZ based kicking coach. Getting 10s and 15s who can actually kick penalties consistently (and a domestic kicking coach) should be a point of emphasis for SA rugby in the next RWC cycle.
If Faf gets injured, then we have Willemse and Kolbe for kicking. I think they're all pretty similar in terms of their kicking capabilities.

Libbok will start vs Ireland, and its a game that we can afford to lose. You see if we lose this game in a tightly contested game where a missed kick or two caused the defeat then Pollard starts in the quarter final. Everyone will be calling for it. But if they bring in Pollard too early it will also cause lots of discontent among many. So we need this game against Ireland to make the decision clear for everyone. If Libbok pulls through it may motivate him starting in the quarters but then if he has an off kicking day we are out. So maybe its best if whatever weaknesses are once and for all exposed against a top side in a top game before its knockouts so that the concerns of many can be further motivated

Latest posts