• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Japan (17/09/2023)

Looking solely at the stat sheet feels very like Borthwick saying the best teams kick a lot
The quality of the ball we won was poor, the balls we lost were embarrassing and the freekicks were amateur hour
If that's the standard we want it's nowhere near good enough

The irony being we had a perfect lineout vs Argentina - the commentary suggested Itoje calling the lineout vs Japan was a new thing, so if that's the case then hopefully it's the end of the that experiment

Last edited:
There were a couple of lineouts where from memory we juggled the ball a bit. It was weird, Itoje looked like there was an invisible jumper competing with him at times. The quality of line-out ball was not good.

If I can still get into my Across the Tasman account I'll try and rewatch the game and review.

My glass is half full with Englands tournament so far.

They've defended well, box kicked better, and although they sometimes (being kind!) choose the wrong option to kick when in attacking positions, I am seeing signs of them finding their width and enabling loose forwards to then either find holes or make yards in contact. They're exploring more possibilities that is for sure.

It hasn't been pretty sometimes, but it's improving in my view and actually a group with ARG, Japan and hopefully Samoa where we get tested but also come through winning and building a bit more cohesion with each passing minute, isn't the worst thing for us come QF time.

At this point in time I fancy England to get to a semi final given the draw and who knows what state we find teams from that super tough side of the draw when we reach that point in time.

Slowly bubbling and hopefully towards a more fully rounded performance in attack.

Equally - let me be very realistic- I would very much fear playing ANY of the top 4 sides in the world and I think their intensity could overwhelm us and it be over by half time.

What I can make a case for - a long shot case- is a slowly improving England coming through testing but winnable games (ARG, Japan) - meeting a patched up IRE/SA for example after they come through two mighty games with one another and the Scots.

You just never know. That's where Borthwick and co must be aiming.

Lot of rugby between now and that possible reality however, so very much feet on ground.

A scathing Japanese review of the game.

Personally relatively happy, wasted some chances.
Some aimless kicking,
Lineout a bit meh.
But low penalty count.
Scrum solid.
Put away in final 20 a team nipping at our ankles all game.
Games like show other than 4 ,next level 5 to 12 + no game is a gimme you have to work to win it.
Shudders when says really 1 foot in qf, otherside of draw means who knows awaits.
Our group possess interesting games for, Arg,Samoa and Japan all for grabs as to play each other.
Expect a totally different 15 v Chile as rest of squad obviously need game time if need at nuts and bolts end,and a mix and match v Samoa .
Still see a Qf of at best Sf as end of the road.

Personally relatively happy, wasted some chances.
Some aimless kicking,
Lineout a bit meh.
But low penalty count.
Scrum solid.
Put away in final 20 a team nipping at our ankles all game.
Games like show other than 4 ,next level 5 to 12 + no game is a gimme you have to work to win it.
Shudders when says really 1 foot in qf, otherside of draw means who knows awaits.
Our group possess interesting games for, Arg,Samoa and Japan all for grabs as to play each other.
Expect a totally different 15 v Chile as rest of squad obviously need game time if need at nuts and bolts end,and a mix and match v Samoa .
Still see a Qf of at best Sf as end of the road.
Bruce Lee Racism GIF

This was a good game to watch. Both teams going at it. Love it how Japan are starting to cement themselves as a really competitive team. England were just better on the day.