• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

Please don't go down this route with scummy cheaters and hate, these are the sort of things that cause falls outs and getting peoples backs up, certain things coming out of SA could be improved massively, the SA posters here are sound and shouldn't be subjected to this.
It's not aimed at the posters. But the players and coaches are scummy with the way they've handled this whole thing.

I was there in Cape Town today when the Mayor of the City handed Bongi the shirt. It is such a storm in a teacup. I would say impossible for him to have said what Curry thought. RFU escalated it unnecessarily according to an English pundit I talked to today off the record. I'm sure between Kolisi & Curry they can resolve it.

Beautiful atmosphere today. Rainbow Nation embracing the World Cup win.

Looking forward to the next one. My money is on a France win in Aus, as we rebuild. Let's see where NZ are too.

I was there in Cape Town today when the Mayor of the City handed Bongi the shirt. It is such a storm in a teacup. I would say impossible for him to have said what Curry thought. RFU escalated it unnecessarily according to an English pundit I talked to today off the record. I'm sure between Kolisi & Curry they can resolve it.

Looking forward to the next one. My money is on a France win in Aus, as we rebuild. Let's see where NZ are too.
Impossible? That's not correct at all.

The reason this is a 'storm in a teacup' is because of South Africa and Bongi, no one else.

Impossible? That's not correct at all.

The reason this is a 'storm in a teacup' is because of South Africa and Bongi, no one else.
I suspect that Bongi from Harrismith would struggle to get where he has got with an overtly racist mouth on him. I do feel it was lost in translation almost certainly and that the RFU in doubling down has made it worse. The banter-wave has also been ridden by SA fans.

I suspect that this issue may not resolve for now anyway. In the meantime, I think we should just enjoy the awesome footage of the celebrations.

I suspect that Bongi from Harrismith would struggle to get where he has got with an overtly racist mouth on him. I do feel it was lost in translation almost certainly and that the RFU in doubling down has made it worse. The banter-wave has also been ridden by SA fans.
How did the RFU double down?

Banterwave yeah that's gonna be fun when Bongi gets racist chants at him...that's where this leads.

How did the RFU double down?

Banterwave yeah that's gonna be fun when Bongi gets racist chants at him...that's where this leads.
The tone of the RFU statement indicated a presumption of guilt. I understand the importance of defending one's own players of course but it didn't read so well to me.

The tone of the RFU statement indicated a presumption of guilt. I understand the importance of defending one's own players of course but it didn't read so well to me.
It was a very legal document. That essentially said WR didn't follow through on proper due diligence of the accusations leveled at Bongi by not fully interviewing the accuser or witnesseses.

Considering what usually goes on at that level of accusation in corperate world once it has been made I think the RFU are right to be angry with WR handling.

But I don't know how RFU write a document to their displeasure that wouldn't try and infer Bongi was innocent. You can't accuse an organisation of ******** the bed when it comes to the investigation and then accept the findings. Its just not how it works.

I would put money on France now to win in 4 years time. Their team is exceptionally young for the talent they have. This WC and the the next 4 years will mould them mentally. All the rest are basically gonna slow rebuild. France are gonna tweak.

As far as the Bongi thing and all the rest from the he clueless, and to quote the future MMA champ, Dricus du Plessis, hulle weet nie wat ons weet nie.

There is no other way to put it.

All I'll say is that if a player was accused of using a racist slur against a player of colour then this would not be dropped by world rugby and wild 100% be treated differently.

Double standards.

It's also odd that Bongi hasn't come out to explain what he said, like he doesn't care about the death threats to curry. Pure scum.

I would put money on France now to win in 4 years time. Their team is exceptionally young for the talent they have. This WC and the the next 4 years will mould them mentally. All the rest are basically gonna slow rebuild. France are gonna tweak.

As far as the Bongi thing and all the rest from the he clueless, and to quote the future MMA champ, Dricus du Plessis, hulle weet nie wat ons weet nie.

There is no other way to put it.
I agree they are in the best shape overall. However I wouldn't put money on them yet. I'd want to see if they can find replacements for Antonio, Williamse (who they badly missed) and Danty . Three massive players (literally) who are unlikely to make the next wc

It's also odd that Bongi hasn't come out to explain what he said, like he doesn't care about the death threats to curry. Pure scum.
I find the lack of explanation from SAR very frustrating. They've allowed their fans to believe an explanation internet sleuthers came up with. But they haven't officially confirmed or denied it.

Which leads me to believe its kak.

I find the lack of explanation from SAR very frustrating. They've allowed their fans to believe an explanation internet sleuthers came up with. But they haven't officially confirmed or denied it.

Which leads me to believe its kak.
Valid point. Now what?

I don't know other than Bongi reaching out to Curry but I've no idea how that's helpful now. Should of been done 2 weeks ago after the game.
Bongi reaching out to Curry lol. I guess it is what it is. We won't know until we know.

Bongi reaching out to Curry lol. I guess it is what it is. We won't know until we know.
Whys that a funny thing? If it's a misunderstanding surely he'd want to clear the air?

Ah sorry he's the victim in SA fans eyes.

Why is that such a funny concept? If someone accused you of making a racist remark and you knew it was a misunderstanding, surely the first thing you'd want to do is explain what it was and just get the whole thing cleared up. As it is he has instead kept inflaming this every opportunity he has had, from refusing to shake Curry's hand to gleefully wearing a shirt with the supposed phrase that caused the issue. That is NOT a normal reaction.

Let's flip this. Imagine Curry had said something like "snigger" in the game for whatever reason (not likely but I can't think of a suitable word that would sound similar atm). Bongi accused him of using a racist term. Curry then doesn't respond with what he actually said, the ref doesn't look into it Curry refuses to shake Bongi's hand, in discussions after it turns out this isn't the first time he's heard it said. Curry still says nothing. WR don't investigate it and don't make a ruling either way on what was said. SA rugby legal team put together a statement of their disappointment at the lack of investigation and Bongi is getting death threats for daring to accuse Curry of being racist. Curry then receives a shirt with "Snigger" on it and embraces it but still doesn't say anything or condemn the death threats.

You really want to claim that in the above scenario you wouldn't think at the very best that it was extremely tasteless from Curry? Well now you can hopefully see how it looks from the other side. At best, the way this has been treated is tasteless and at worst a complete double standard.

Why even bother with the inquiry? You all have your minds made up. Do you need concrete closure or what? Anywyay, im out. Till the the next WC. Keep well.

Why even bother with the inquiry? You all have your minds made up. Do you need concrete closure or what? Anywyay, im out. Till the the next WC. Keep well.
I don't think many England fans have argued anything other than a proper inquiry take place. If its still inconclusive and Bongi has a plausible explanation he's willing to put forward as a matter of public record I think the cast majority would be satisfied.

I still want it to be a misunderstanding but none of Bongi or SAR are doing suggests they want to clarify it as such. Which is extremely odd behaviour.

Latest posts