• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

Against Fiji, in a RWC quarter final you want adventure?

Some, given that we have neither the precision nor power to execute what we're seemingly trying to do.

Playing unambitious rugby won't get us anywhere against the big boys (of which, being honest, Fiji isn't one). Fiji will give us chances and if not then, when?

Our current mindset will get us nowhere. I don't want to try to outFiji Fiji but we have to be a bit more ambitious. Pretend we're New Zealand - strike when the opportunity's there but don't try to force it when it's not.

England need to make sure that their future captains don't have the same 'top dog' status that Farrell has enjoyed. I'm sure he's respected by the other players and isn't a bad egg but he just seems to have too much clout for me. Either that or they employ head coaches who have the bottle to make tough decisions and make clear to the squad from the start that no one player is bigger than the team.

Borthwick is a bit like Trump. He plays 5d chess while everyone else is desperately trying to get their head around checkers. You can't outwit him, obviously.

Is Borthwick going to make English rugby great again?
Of course! But no, if there was any doubt at all, I dont believe DT is a genius, in fact I think he's insane and quite stupid - I take back any comparison to Borthwick 😅

I think Steve is doing his best. I know he's been head honcho e.g at Tigers and had great success but I still think at this level I'd rather he be part of a wider structure and not top dog.

Raynal confirmed as ref. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Lets go Fiji woo. Finally a team I can get behind.

Some, given that we have neither the precision nor power to execute what we're seemingly trying to do.

Playing unambitious rugby won't get us anywhere against the big boys (of which, being honest, Fiji isn't one). Fiji will give us chances and if not then, when?

Our current mindset will get us nowhere. I don't want to try to outFiji Fiji but we have to be a bit more ambitious. Pretend we're New Zealand - strike when the opportunity's there but don't try to force it when it's not.
I think this attitude is Niaive

England have cruised through to the RWC quarter final, and play a beaten up and disheveled Fiji, off the back of losing to Portugal... PORTUGAL!

England dont need to be NZ to win this, they just have to be dogged in defence, take points on offer and put their bench in the win position

Nothing will change from an, hed be crazy to risk a RWC semi final for a chance at some adventure.

In the semi, against SA or France, by all mean, unshackle the players, throw the ball around and play high risk rugby, nothing to lose there.

England have cruised through to the RWC quarter final, and play a beaten up and disheveled Fiji, off the back of losing to Portugal... PORTUGAL!

England dont need to be NZ to win this, they just have to be dogged in defence, take points on offer and put their bench in the win position

Nothing will change from an, hed be crazy to risk a RWC semi final for a chance at some adventure.

In the semi, against SA or France, by all mean, unshackle the players, throw the ball around and play high risk rugby, nothing to lose there.

Naive, possibly.

So you want us to prepare for a potential semi against a very good side by doing the same old that's got us nowhere in ages, nearly got us done against Samoa and got us beaten just a few weeks ago by Fiji…..FIJI!

I'm not suggesting we go high risk Harlem Globetrotters, just that we broaden our horizons a bit when the opportunity's there. If we do get to the semi (as we should) I don't want us to go down without firing a shot.

Naive, possibly.

So you want us to prepare for a potential semi against a very good side by doing the same old that's got us nowhere in ages, nearly got us done against Samoa and got us beaten just a few weeks ago by Fiji…..FIJI!

I'm not suggesting we go high risk Harlem Globetrotters, just that we broaden our horizons a bit when the opportunity's there. If we do get to the semi (as we should) I don't want us to go down without firing a shot.
Naive, possibly.

Farrell wasn't playing the last time Fiji beat us.maybe give him a run out against them 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

In all honesty I think he should go steward care Farrell manu Lawrence,may and marchant on the wings for this game.maybe bring in vunipola in the pack.I just think Fiji will come out flying and England should go for a team with size against them in the first half and early second half.I think Fiji will tire and maybe have ford and especially smith on the bench to exploit the tired Fiji pack late on.it's pretty much the tactic borthwick has been doing anyway but maybe his hand was forced earlier against Samoa.

Naive, possibly.

This is why it's so easy to feel antsy even when we're 4 from 4. These opportunities come along rarely and the thought of heading home without having played all your cards just feels bad. Which is premature right up until its too late.

Why play conservative rugby in a quarter final with the prospect of reaching the semi, and then fling the ball around like soap and risk a possible place in the final? Inconsistent and doesn't make sense.

Latest posts