• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Scotland (07/10/2023)

Did you expect them to win, or even be competitive in those 2 games?

No, me neither, then WTF are we talking about man?!?!

Can't believe I have to explain this, but I'll try.

They were supposed to be more competitive/put up a fight more than previous Italy teams. They had pushed France close in the 6 nations, and were starting to get results against other tier one teams. They seemed to be on an upward curve.

No one thought they were favourites against New Zealand or France. But they got thrashed by New Zealand more than anyone predicted. And they got spanked by France. I think both were their biggest losses to these two teams! That was not expected. It was supposed to be closer than the scores showed. Hence why they are considered a disappointment.

Agreed… but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that on the Scots performance level this World Cup, them qualifying out of Groups C and D isn't the formality many would have you believe.

Nobody said it would be a formality but it'd be far more likely than any team in pools C or D beating RSA or Ire.

Agreed… but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that on the Scots performance level this World Cup, them qualifying out of Groups C and D isn't the formality many would have you believe either.
Having to play SA and Ireland isn't that comparable to Japan/Argentina/Australia (is what I'll be telling myself at 3am)

Being uncompetitive in both games does add to the feeling we'd have somehow blown C/D though.

Very nice from Ireland. I expect a similar scoreline and uncompetitive match against NZ in the quarterfinal. I think Ireland can out the AB to sleep in a similar fashion.

Can't believe I have to explain this, but I'll try.

They were supposed to be more competitive/put up a fight more than previous Italy teams. They had pushed France close in the 6 nations, and were starting to get results against other tier one teams. They seemed to be on an upward curve.

No one thought they were favourites against New Zealand or France. But they got thrashed by New Zealand more than anyone predicted. And they got spanked by France. I think both were their biggest losses to these two teams! That was not expected. It was supposed to be closer than the scores showed. Hence why they are considered a disappointment.
Except Italy have finished 3rd in their group at every RWC...

And finished 3rd this year. They were predicted to win 2 and lose 2, which they did...

Noone cares about their points difference, their goal would have been to qualify from their group for the first ever time, which they didnt do, but their minimum requirement would have been 3rd to auto qualify which they did...

Bang exactly where everyone thought they would have been, so they matched expectations.

Very nice from Ireland. I expect a similar scoreline and uncompetitive match against NZ in the quarterfinal. I think Ireland can out the AB to sleep in a similar fashion.

No chance it will be this easy. I actually think the All Blacks will win it with a dodgy decision. And Sexton goes on a rampage attacking the ref.

Aki is on another level, I've always rated him but this WC, probably be my first player in a world 15.

Except Italy have finished 3rd in their group at every RWC...

And finished 3rd this year. They were predicted to win 2 and lose 2, which they did...

Noone cares about their points difference, their goal would have been to qualify from their group for the first ever time, which they didnt do, but their minimum requirement would have been 3rd to auto qualify which they did...

Bang exactly where everyone thought they would have been, so they matched expectations.apitulated

The expectations were to give France and New Zealand more of a game than they did. They capitulated more so than usual. So no, they did not meet expectations in performance at all. So yes, they have been a disappointment in regards to the performances that were expected.

The whole rugby world has been saying how Scotland would've breezed through groups C & D for the longest.

Well considering they are ranked 5th in the world, the odds would have been better in either of those groups. And they would have been more favoured to qualify.

D'Arcy looks like that episode of Always Sunny where they keep taking Frank's blood and he goes all grey and pale

The expectations were to give France and New Zealand more of a game than they did. They capitulated more so than usual. So no, they did not meet expectations in performance at all. So yes, they have been a disappointment in regards to the performances that were expected.
Your not understanding...

Italy had a minimum requirement of 3rd, qualifying for 2027. They acheived a minimum, and they performed exactly as everyone thought.

In comparison, Australia had a minimum requirement of qualification to quarters, which they failed to do. Australia clearly underperformed massively.

I'd say Gerogia underperformed worse than Italy, they wanted minimum 1 win, ideally 2 wins, and a shot at auto qualification. They never managed any of that.

Latest posts