• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: New Zealand - Australia (16-10-2011, 21:00)

It's a good thing you're not the coach.

firstly i ment sonny

i think we need to play fast folwing rugby running at there defence we saw when they played against wales they have nothing going forward and it was prity much a kicking game which we dont have now i think we need stretch them running through the line like we did against them first time round the best way is getting the fast backs playing

Awesome, awesome game. None of the players had a bad game (I'm not including SBW he didn't play in the game) and Kaino and Jane were immense. Kaino tackle on Ioane was just brilliant, it looked like Ioane was going to score for all money and Kaino not only stopped his momentum but lifted and pushed him back a couple of meters.

Hard luck Australia. Once Cooper stopped messing up every single one of your attacking opportunities you guys did look good on attack. Unfortunately for you the All Blacks just starved you of possession and territory. Don't know why the Aussies kicked so much though. Kudos for the hard fought game.

Bring on France! I'm sure the All Blacks know this already but they can never ever take France lightely, they are such a topsy turvy team. Though if we play like we did today, we'll definitely be able to finally get our hands on that 'little cup'.

:lol: Ain't that the truth.

firstly i ment sonny

i think we need to play fast folwing rugby running at there defence we saw when they played against wales they have nothing going forward and it was prity much a kicking game which we dont have now i think we need stretch them running through the line like we did against them first time round the best way is getting the fast backs playing

Fast backs??? Sonny Bill has to be the slowest back out there. Watch him, he jogs. And what would it mean putting in the lineup? Getting rid of Nonu?

Why are you basing your expectation of the French on last night's game? France didn't play at all. They were non-existant. Henry will be preparing for a French side ready to beat the All Blacks on their own soil. For that, we need experience, combinations and free of twits who are going to give away meaningless penalties. Putting Sonny Bill out there would just be arrogent, disrespectful of France's unpredictablity and incredibly stupid.

Case in point. He stays on the bench.

Well... awesome game from the forwards today, they won it for us. Brilliant taking of the high ball too that helped relieve a lot of pressure. Love to hear what the aussie media has to say now.

Anyway, the French will be harder for us since their loosies are brilliant and they have a much better tight five than Aus, as well as better goalkickers than us. We do have the better backline from what I have seen of the French thus far, but it will be a huge game. I'm amazed that some people are writing the French off.

Fast backs??? Sonny Bill has to be the slowest back out there. Watch him, he jogs. And what would it mean putting in the lineup? Getting rid of Nonu?

Why are you basing your expectation of the French on last night's game? France didn't play at all. They were non-existant. Henry will be preparing for a French side ready to beat the All Blacks on their own soil. For that, we need experience, combinations and free of twits who are going to give away meaningless penalties. Putting Sonny Bill out there would just be arrogent, disrespectful of France's unpredictablity and incredibly stupid.

Case in point. He stays on the bench.

SBW will bang your sister, just saying...

Can't wait for the games next week, both should be huge.
Hoping for a 87 repeat, Wales 3rd and NZ 1st.

Wow NZ have a great mid field but this game was won firstly by the forwards who gave nothing away and secondly the Back Three who were faultless under Australia's kicks and returned with interest every chance they got. For me that was the two major points of deference tonight.

Cruden did well but he had the ball served to him on a plate, the duties of first receiver were shared with Kahui, Jane, Dagg and Nonu all being used and when Cruden went to ground he had 3-4 All Blacks right there to support him which is exactly what the team needed to do.

Good to see Read back doing the business, if his tackle on Elsom doesn't inspire his teammates nothing will. Same with Kaino who's pickup of Digby right on the line was mind blowing. And McCaw came up with the goods too. Back to lacks now than Collins was the way he has grown over the last few years is mind blowing and he's stood up and take the stage in the most important time in NZ rugby history. He is to this team what Ice Man was in 1987 without question.

I think every single player in black came up with one or more big plays that gave their team momentum. Really the AB's took the upper hand in the game early and never let it go. Mealamu was brilliant in the battle of the advantage line - That guy is a national treasure. Thorn was emense, it's amasing how he's stepped up his game over the last two weeks. Hore and Ali Williams were fantastic of the bench, I think Ali helped add to the dominance in the scrum and hore proved his genuime ability to provide impact - such a luxury to have two world class hookers.

Bizarre game plan from Australia, during the week pictures were coming out of the all blacks in training and they were all of Dagg, Kahui and Jane receiving kicks. Aussie kicked the man of the match award to Jane maybe they should have given up after the first 3-4 faultless takes. Same with the inside ball, it seemed to be all Aussie had - that may have been as a result of the All Black dominance at the breakdown.Wow NZ have a great mid field but this game was won firstly by the forwards who gave nothing away and secondly the Back Three who were faultless under Australia's kicks and returned with interest every chance they got. For me that was the two major points of difference tonight.

Cruden did well but he had the ball served to him on a plate, the duties of first receiver were shared with Kahui, Jane, Dagg and Nonu all being used and when Cruden went to ground he had 3-4 All Blacks right there to support him which is exactly what the team needed to do.

Good to see Read back doing the business, if his tackle on Elsom does inspire his teammates nothing will. Same with Kaino who's pickup of Digby right on the line was mind blowing. And McCaw came up with the goods too. Back to lacks now than Collins was the way he has grown over the last few years is mind blowing and he's stood up and take the stage in the most important time in NZ rugby history. He is to this team what Ice Man was in 1987 without question.

I think every single player in black came up with one or more big plays that gave their team momentum. Really the AB's took the upper hand in the game early and never let it go. Mealamu was brilliant in the battle of the advantage line - That guy is a national treasure. Thorn was immense, it's amazing how he's stepped up his game over the last two weeks. Hore and Ali Williams were fantastic of the bench, I think Ali helped add to the dominance in the scrum and hore proved his genuine ability to provide impact - such a luxury to have two world class hookers.

Bizarre game plan from Australia, during the week pictures were coming out of the all blacks in training and they were all of Dagg, Kahui and Jane receiving kicks. Aussie kicked the man of the match award to Jane maybe they should have given up after the first 3-4 faultless takes. Same with the inside ball, it seemed to be all Aussie had - that may have been as a result of the All Black dominance at the breakdown and contact areas.

Last edited:
The keys to winning this match IMO

1. The All Blacks shut Pocock out of the game by running at him to make him tackle so that he could not be the first arriving player. When Pocock tried to counter that by standing a little deeper and wider, the All Blacks just ran to the opposite side of the ruck, allowing their fetchers to get there first. The result is that he had been a serial pest in the quarter final against South Africa, he was virtually invisible in this game. The only time you saw him was a couple of defensive runs, and whe he was arguing with Joubert.

2. Pressure on Quade Cooper, whose fragility has again been shown up by the number of mistakes he made.

3. Absolute dominance at scrum time. The weak Australian scrum cost them in the quarter final against England in 2007, almost cost them in the quarter final against South Africa last weekend and has had a big part in their undoing tonight.

4. Aaron Cruden. The Aussies seriously underestimated this lad, based on a nervous 60 minutes in one game in Sydney last year. Bad mistake. Cruden is a cancer survivor; he knows all about mental toughness and courage in adversity. The Wallabies will not make that particular mistake again.

Oh well. NZ too good at Eden Park once again. They smashed us from the start, it was almost a perfect game from them.

Cooper's tactical kicking was not good. Need to solve that before next season. His attack was actually alright, Australia made plenty of line breaks but they were all in our own half! We need to do that in the NZ 22 next time. Also, we should start looking at Barnes for a 2015 WC fly half option, and look at shifting Cooper around.

Final thoughts - NZ's defence was good. Dagg and Jane were amazing. We missed Beale, the kick returns lacked direction/purpose.

Might be a bit cliche, but I did think the AB's got away with a hell of alot at the breakdown. There was alot of going round the outside, counterrucking by just falling over the ball etc. Thought Joubert did not manage that very well at all. They were allowed to pile over and then just lay there + they were able to counterruck because they were being allowed to attack the ruck from the side, don't get me wrong they deserved to win by more but that is an area that IMO they need to crack down on.

It was also nice to actually hear a ref say things like: "Ruck has formed", "Roll away seven yellow", "Hands off", "Arriving player had all the rights"... Made the game a lot cleaner to watch and there weren't problems or finger-pointing towards the referee...

Well done NZ!!

Repeat final like in '07 where the finalists come from the same pool...

It was also nice to actually hear a ref say things like: "Ruck has formed", "Roll away seven yellow", "Hands off", "Arriving player had all the rights"... Made the game a lot cleaner to watch and there weren't problems or finger-pointing towards the referee...

Well done NZ!!

Repeat final like in '07 where the finalists come from the same pool...

I thought the ref was very good. Pinged both teams for negative stuff at the breakdown, our scrum was clearly dominant but he did well to ping Woodcock for collapsing. Finally a ref realised Pocock is on his knees and playing the ball half the time.. good show Joubert I hope he has the final.

So the trend of the tri nations winner in the rugby world cup year not going on to win the world cup continues.

Thought Joubert was very good today but maybe that's because I'm an ABs fan and we won?

Cruden > Slade > Donald

I think this has been established now

You get that from one game behind a totally dominant forward pack and a gameplan designed to protect him? Cruden never got the ball with a defender anywhere near him the entire game. And what has slade done so far to show he's better than Donald? Sure Donald was average in a few massive games against top teams. Slade didn't do much better against minnows.

Crudens drop kick really impressed me though, so did his defense. though aussies never got quick ball to test him on defense.

The all blacks gameplan around Cruden was absolutely perfect. If it was Aussies gameplan to target him the All Blacks as a team simply did not allow Australia to do that and they will need to do the same next week. Heck he didn't have to kick goals and he didn't even have to kick around the field much.

So the trend of the tri nations winner in the rugby world cup year not going on to win the world cup continues.

Thought Joubert was very good today but maybe that's because I'm an ABs fan and we won?

Well I have always been a fan of his style. I like the way he communicates with the players, firm but respectful.

IMO, Joubert is the number one referee in the world, and it will be a travesty if he doesn't get the final, although I suspect he won't because no semi-final referee has ever refereed the final of the RWC.

Joubert is my favorite ref and he did pretty well today. I was shouting at the TV several times throughout the game. I thought he was harsher on our backrow than NZ's, and he would tell Genia to stay onside at the scrum but seemed to give Weepu a free reign.

I watched this game pretty one-sided though so I'm probably wrong on every point anyway.

Latest posts