• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

Feels pretty good being the not best team, having the most difficult run ever, never giving up, and winning back to back. The saltiness is just copium. All been there.

Is this directed at me?

I was a nervous wreck watching the game because I really wanted South Africa to win! I was wearing a Springboks jersey. Absolutely delighted they beat the All Blacks in the final.

But I don't think they are the greatest team to win the World Cup. That is not being salty.

Is this directed at me?

I was a nervous wreck watching the game because I really wanted South Africa to win! I was wearing a Springboks jersey. Absolutely delighted they beat the All Blacks in the final.

But I don't think they are the greatest team to win the World Cup. That is not being salty.
No no not you haha I mean the salty posts way earlier saying we must be ashamed lol what a toolbox. And just in general from the usual mobs on the internet. Even I wouldn't put us next to 2015 Abs. But it's still a good crop of players we have had the last while.

2015 NZ team is the best ever for sure. This 2023 Bok side without Marx & Am is very similar to the other 4 flawed best teams in the competition currently.

In the first 9 tournaments combined, there were just 5(!) knock-out matches decided by a single point.

This year, South Africa did it 3 times. That's unbelievable.

I seen all the WC since 1987. In many aspects, this one was the worst. I can't congrat the winner.
Lots of things have to change if we want to keep the best sport alive.
Agree and disagree. The fact that there were so many "finals" in the pool stages was a farce and some of the reffing was poor (inconsistency is far worse than a consistent interpretation you just don't agree with).

Having said that I cannot think of another world cup in which there were 4 teams all with a realistic chance of winning and where it would not be an upset if any of them won. I also cannot think of another WC which had so many top quality games (France - NZ, Ireland - SA, France - SA and Ireland - NZ). I'd say it was a world cup of extremes, so absolutely shocking stuff combined with more games that could make a "best every WC games" compilation than any other WC.

I think we will not see a large portion of the starters in 2027. This is already an old side setting combined caps records for SA sides. I expect the entire starting pack to not make it except maybe Etzebeth for a last hurrah. Same with the backline where I only expect Willemse to feature.

Not that we don't have replacements lined up and in the case of Marx he'd be starting if it weren't for injury but we won't have the depth of experience come 2027.

I think we will not see a large portion of the starters in 2027. This is already an old side setting combined caps records for SA sides. I expect the entire starting pack to not make it except maybe Etzebeth for a last hurrah. Same with the backline where I only expect Willemse to feature.

Not that we don't have replacements lined up and in the case of Marx he'd be starting if it weren't for injury but we won't have the depth of experience come 2027.
Age wise Wiese, Ox Nche and Snyman could still make it to 2027 from the pack. Some experienced pillars in the pack are needed.

I want to point out a few things about South Africa winning, but not only winning this World Cup, but defending their crown from 2019.

In both World Cup's South Africa did not play rugby pleasing to the eye, but what they have done is build a group of players, who are immensely physically strong, and immensely mentally tough, and have incredible discipline.

South Africa in both World Cups, broke so many mental barriers, which only paved the way for their success. Losing once or a couple of times to teams, before each World Cup, and then beating them in the tournament. Playing the host nation each time, and beating them in front of their nation, each time. Winning close games on the way to the final. 3x 1point victories the last 3 knock-out games. Last two World Cup wins being away from home. They weren't without their share of problems. Controversies on and off the field, injuries to key players. But they kept at it. Pollard returned at the right time. And everything he kicked at this World Cup, went over. Sometimes things just work in your favour. The harder I work, the luckier I get, as golfer Gary Player used to say.

It really goes to show that if you put in the work, and you concentrate on achieving your goals, then no barrier is too strong.

I sincerely hope South Africa's achievements will be studied by sport psychologists and even by any person involved in sport or not, as it provides hope in the face of adversity. It provides hope to break mental barriers, it provides a way for discipline, work ethic and determination to succeed. South Africa's refusal to die down is an inspiration to any sports team and individual.

Projects take time. Rassie did not have a lot of time with his start to his Springbok coaching career preparing for the World Cup in Japan, and now he has two winning final medals.

The way South Africa play is not really good for the game, but them winning is a massive win for any person or team, who want to achieve great things.
Especially considering how dreadful SA were in 2016 and to a lesser extent 2017.

Kitshie, Malherbe, and Marx can still make it

PSdT and Etzebeth have another World Cup in them,

Wiese will have another not Vermeulen.

Jaden Hendrikse and Grant Williams will now push hard for scrum-half domination in the Bok squad.

Pollard will be around for sure. Esterhuizen and De Allende are not that old either, Kurt Lee can maybe do it. Damian Willemse will be around.

Finally, let's keep in mind the potential to come out of retirement for Francois Steyn in a few years.

I remember the english youtuber describing Steyn like "that time you got your uncle to play at the rookies vs veterans and as it turns out, he's bloody amazing"

RWC success rates after the final:

🇿🇦 50%

🇳🇿 30%

🇦🇺 20%

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 10%
Pretty compelling isn't it. And a 100% record in finals, with Barrett's try on the weekend being the first one ever scored against them in a final.

I know there's lots of opinion on how they play etc. but at the end of the day, they're winners. They're made for WCs and their record shows it. As an AB supporter I love how our team tries to play the game, but for WC's at least, I'd swap all that for a win.

Pretty compelling isn't it. And a 100% record in finals, with Barrett's try on the weekend being the first one ever scored against them in a final.

I know there's lots of opinion on how they play etc. but at the end of the day, they're winners. They're made for WCs and their record shows it. As an AB supporter I love how our team tries to play the game, but for WC's at least, I'd swap all that for a win.

And that try by Barrett came off a knock on by Tele'a

Frankly I don't understand all this euphoria from the South African side, they should be ashamed of having lifted a trophy that they did not deserve.
In the quarter-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the semi-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the final they were tendentiously refereed by Waynes Barnes.

In fact, no one should win this World Cup except South Africa. Rugby is dead.
Feels good seeing others complain about teams winning in threes. 'Strayans have been bleating about that since at least the 90s.

Congrats SA. You won the shittest world cup yet. **** you all and have a good summer/winter.

its so weird, ive see just as many people claiming this is the best RWC ever...as ive seen people claiming its the worst

another sign of the divide in what large groups of us fans want to see

Latest posts