• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

What a birthday gift, to see South Africa win their 4th!

This game had everything, and it honestly couldn't have been a better finish. This final, despite just 1 try, was entertaining as ****.

South Africa still the only team to win a RWC final after losing a pool game (Done it twice now). I think Barnes had a really good game too, and that's saying something coming from me, because I cannot stand that shithead.

Under the rules the decision to send off Cane was right. But WR have got to do something about red cards being doled out like confetti for offences that are careless or technically wrong, but not malicious or nasty. Orange cards and 20 minute wait for a replacement or whatever, but make the consequences on the player not the team or paying fan. Too many games are ruined by them and tonight was another. With 15, NZ win.

Cane's going to cop some flak, but I hope he's not overly vilified.

Well done Boks. You've ridden your luck a bit but held out when it matters. The team now starts to break up.

Penny for Ireland's thoughts. 13-8 seems a very long time ago.

I thought France would host a great tournament but it's not going to go down as a memorable one.

Under the rules the decision to send off Cane was right. But WR have got to do something about red cards being doled out like confetti for offences that are careless or technically wrong, but not malicious or nasty. Orange cards and 20 minute wait for a replacement or whatever, but make the consequences on the player not the team or paying fan. Too many games are ruined by them and tonight was another. With 15, NZ win.

Well done Boks. You've ridden your luck a bit but held out when it matters. The team now starts to break up.

I thought France would host a great tournament but it's not going to go down as a memorable one.
I don't think the game was ruined and I suspect direct on pitch punishment is the only way you'll change behaviour. If it was enforced consistently players would start going lower - the rowing back this World Cup undermined some good progress.

2007 was better even from the organization point of view. Everything was pretty abysmal from the point of view of a supporter going to the games: the pathetic ticket system, the queuing, the facilities, the staff working there...hopefully France will not host another World Cup for a long long time.

For those detractors that bemoan everything about the modern game…

Here's a great stat.
RWC 23 delivered 320 tries.
6.7 tries per game average.

Where else will you get that level of scoring and entertainment. Certainly not football!

Two and an illegal one.

I suppose the beauty of rugby is what you get away with
It's always been like that, it was when McCaw got away with it and it will always be like that, you love them when they're on your team and loathe them when they are on the other side. For 15 years or so I heard about richie and there will be many like him in the future

Kwagga is a damn treasure, it's ridiculous how someone who played sevens can have such a massive impact, he is also like four feet smaller than any forwards in his squad, probably the smaller one behind faf, arendse and kolbe

I'm probably in the minority but I really enjoyed the game. Yes it wasn't a "classic" in terms of free-flowing rugby but finals never are. At least we got a tight RWC final which is quite a rare thing. I think over the tournament, given the route they had to navigate to get there, the Boks are deserving World Champions. Let's not forget either that they won it without Malcolm Marx, who i would rate as the best hooker in the World. That just makes the effort even more phenomenal.

Fair play to the ABs though, that was an immense effort in the second half with one man down. If they had pulled it off it would have gone down as an all-timer. Lastly, I don't think I've ever loved a player from another country more than I do Siya Kolisi. The way he speaks and how he plays is absolutely inspirational. For him to even make the RWC was a near miracle, and then to play and lead like he did was incredible. What a Champion.

yeah it was a perfectly fine rugby game. Don't have any real complaints.
I'm probably in the minority but I really enjoyed the game. Yes it wasn't a "classic" in terms of free-flowing rugby but finals never are. At least we got a tight RWC final which is quite a rare thing. I think over the tournament, given the route they had to navigate to get there, the Boks are deserving World Champions. Let's not forget either that they won it without Malcolm Marx, who i would rate as the best hooker in the World. That just makes the effort even more phenomenal.

Fair play to the ABs though, that was an immense effort in the second half with one man down. If they had pulled it off it would have gone down as an all-timer. Lastly, I don't think I've ever loved a player from another country more than I do Siya Kolisi. The way he speaks and how he plays is absolutely inspirational. For him to even make the RWC was a near miracle, and then to play and lead like he did was incredible. What a Champion.
boks won without Marx and without Am. Which is pretty impressive considering they 1. didn't have a backup hooker and 2. Am is am.

For those detractors that bemoan everything about the modern game…

Here's a great stat.
RWC 23 delivered 320 tries.
6.7 tries per game average.

Where else will you get that level of scoring and entertainment. Certainly not football!
That includes dozens (!) of tries in enthralling games against Romania, Namibia and Italy.

Seriously, how many games were worth watching this time? Half a dozen? And next RWC, there will be 24 teams. :rolleyes:

Still amazed by that shift from Fourie and South Africa winning with essentially no lineout for the entire game!

Much more impressive win than 2019, where they only beat an inconsistent England and pretty blunt Wales.

Still amazed by that shift from Fourie and South Africa winning with essentially no lineout for the entire game!

Much more impressive win than 2019, where they only beat an inconsistent England and pretty blunt Wales.

South Africa has beaten the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ranked team in the world this tournament.

That's insane.