• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Played a few games and have a few thoughts.

-Fantastic Commentary, I think it sets the bar for a rugby game really enjoyed it.

-Green marker for kicks are just a bad design choice. I understand if your trying to hide unnecessary markers but my god that shade of green does nothing to stand out against the green pitch.

-Support players run away from the ball player carrier at times either width ways or else like in RC there seems to be a depth problem where they can't keep up with players.

-Proper Drop goals are back wahey

-I HATE the steal from a isolated player mechanic, it frustrates me to hell, i don't mind being turned over but I don't understand why when that animation plays out my team mates just stand their, there isn't any interaction with it. Can be very frustrating.

-Lineouts aren't press X and win all as far as I can tell.

-AI is improved on both sides of the ball but still subject to horrible pathing.

-Graphically I don't think the game looks good at all while your playing it, you see some fantastic faces who really look like life like Dan Cole or Nick Easter but then you have Mike Tindall or you go to yourself what in God's name is that.

-Personally prefer the old grubber mechanic.

All in all it does enough to be different from 08 but still clings to some annoyances from it (simplistic passing, bad AI pathing, AI chasing).

Last edited:
I wish Morne Steyn would stop booting the ball away.......suppose it's pretty realistic after all :p

-Lineouts are press X and win all as far as I can tell.
Must be playing a different game to me, I've never stolen a lineout!

Right, played 3 games so far. First match was messy (i couldn't break the gameline lol) but I put this down to not knowing the controls at all (never played 08).

Got used to it and then instantly found it too easy and full of awful unrealistic gameplay.
- Won 99% of rucks reguardless of possession at the beginning of ruck.
- Set plays off the ruck just didn't seem to work for me at all and often got a scrum against me while waiting for the.
- Players to adjust to the setplay.
- At least 7 restart I gathered, ran infidels quickly passed to the wing ran on, single sidestep and try.Bunching seemed like it occurred all the time and was horribly unrealistic.
- The commentating seemed dreadful to me. Of my 7 run in trys from restarts, twice they talked about my pick and drive skill and determination.

So thus far, very unimpressed with the game. However, it is on the easy setting and I havnt fully got to grips with it yet so I will give it a chance to grow on me.
For now its a rental only for me. 6/10

Ps - never played 08 so I can't compare them. And aplogies for typos, typing on my phone on the bus to work.

Last edited:
I wish Morne Steyn would stop booting the ball away.......suppose it's pretty realistic after all :p

Must be playing a different game to me, I've never stolen a lineout!

Typo should of been aren't! Was impressed that they fixed that as their still remains a twitch in the Hookers throw.

Played 3 games, i am enjoying, very addictive. Graphics could be better, but hey, this is the first rugby game on 2nd gen consoles...its just the beginning!

Can't wait till 26th Aug now woop woop!

Typo should of been aren't! Was impressed that they fixed that as their still remains a twitch in the Hookers throw.
Aha, I getya! Apologies :p

I really like the commentary too - seems fluid to me, only played with with Miles and Barnes - didn't want to shoot myself in the face at hearing Barnes' voice, which is a success in itself :lol:

If anybody would happen to have any 48-hour Gold trials lying around it would be greatly appreciated if one was thrown my way :) Good to see a lot of positive feedback, I look forward to chipping people.

Aha, I getya! Apologies :p

I really like the commentary too - seems fluid to me, only played with with Miles and Barnes - didn't want to shoot myself in the face at hearing Barnes' voice, which is a success in itself :lol:

I like Barnes in real life too so it's not a problem for me :p He doesn't seem to go over the top as he sometimes would. Harrison can sound like a prat though at times during the game.

Id like the marker for where kicks are going to fall a bit more distinctive I find myself a bit unclear where it's falling due to a pale shade of yellow. Id be harsh and say id like it in red!

Demo, Rugby 08 plus 3

Now i will sart by saying i loved 08 at uni it was the most played game in the house (more than mario kart!). Having just played on the demo i was impressed a little annoyed it was only a half though. But if you are expecting a totally new game you will be disapointed. The graphics are slightly better, the tackle animations are a little better, the game is smoother and a little quicker. Also i really dislike the camera angle in the demo much prefer the behind camera. If this game had club teams it would be verg good. But for now its just good in my opinion.

Heres my brief take so far:
The game feels slower paced (which i really like) but pretty much the same as 08, visually imo not as good as the pc 08 (especially with the mods)
its ok but its so similar to 08 that unless the online multiplayer is spectacular then i will rent and try out before i even think about buying

Honestly I don't like the demo much at all. Sluggish FPS, average graphics... hectic unrealistic gameplay, poor kicking, exactly the same animations, too bunched. Pass.

how do you put that hypnotoad in that under thingie? not that im gonna copy, im just gonna write something else

I'm enjoying the demo so far but I'm having trouble with the kicking to touch etc. as I prefer the end-to-end view but the camera is set to the side-on view.

Is there any way to change this in the demo?

Latest posts