• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Russian rugby

Simplikevich will be a very good outside back. Certainly a more rounded player than Varndell, and could provide a good option of a large wing to pair Wade.

to Jayatron

Rumor has it
that soon VVA (where to build a new stadium, around December 2012).
Kingsley Jones wants to have two franchises, "Moscow" (players from the VVA, Slava, Spartak...) and "Siberia"(Enisei and Krasny Yar). He is now in contact with the IRB on this issue. But he has anenemy - the Russian winter. If Moscow is some how tolerated -10, but in Siberia (December, January) will freeze not only the French, British,and Russian rugby players.
Factor 2 - is the distance from Moscow to Krasnoyarsk, 4500 km.
Three factor - the union of the Enisei and the Krasny Jar - is nonsense. It is impossible to unite them.

Last edited:

very good to see Ostrikov working very hard on the language considering he's been brought up with a different alphabet, and that he's helping Cobalas settle into Sale and do well

Last edited by a moderator:
Ostrikov has been a great signing - he's only a few games in but I've been VERY impressed with him.
His work rate is second to none, and he tackles and carries like a beast. He's been compared to a younger Chabal, and I can see that.

Good news for Russian rugby!
Rugby Club Yug Krasnodar will change the name of the Kuban (region name) and the color yellow-green like the popular FC Kuban Krasnodar. And this is potentially hundreds of thousands of new fans! Maybe in a few years will move to the old Kuban stadium (capacity 35,200),

when FC build a new arena for 50,000.
This year the club will play in the championship of Russia on the rugby-7 and made ​​his debut in 2 level Top League Rugby-15 (the goal to get into Super League). I think that with such players as Ostroushko (ex Enisei) and Kobzev (ex VVA), they will succeed. I see that in the long term, 2-3 years, they will compete with the Siberian clubs and VVA in the fight for 1st place Super League.
This news also fits into my concept of development of rugby in Russia: cooperation with local football clubs (one colors, names, marketing), moving to the old big football arenas, which will remain after the construction of a new FIFA WC2018.

This league appears to go from strength to strength. Only if the WRU made the conscience attempt to build teams that reflect areas and birds, colours and mythical creatures.

Currently what would crowd figures be like? How many fans? Wikipeadia "claims" the this area is a rugby stronghold?

Also mentions some signings?? Like Pehi Whare from the Southland Stags. I don't remember him personally but Southland had a few strong seasons and produced some decent players. I also notice that they signed Tomm Flemming? Says he played for Midlands. It was either Midlands or Woodlands that I got red carded in. So maybe the standard isn't as good??

What do you think of the standard of Russian Rugby?

3 teams havent the ProD2/RFU Championship level :

VVA Podmoskovye : they have beaten FC Grenoble (actual leader of ProD2) last year and they son 5 of the 6 last championships.
But since 2 grade they have post : Cobilas (Sale), Korshunov (Wasps), Navickas (Natal Sharks U20), Gresev (Wasps), Artemyev (Northampton), Cotruta and Kobzev : one half of the starting XV.

Enisey STM : actual champion. They have some foreign players like kazakh superstar Anton Rudoy or Ryan Bambry, former Highlanders fly half. Last season they son ahead l'Aquila and Lazio Rugby; 2 teams from the italian championship.

Krasny Yar : finalist this year they have a partnership with the Crusaders. Each year some NZ players moins Krany Yar. The most of these players were in ITM Cup (Pehi Te Ware, John Dodd, Glen Grégory for examples)

Others teams have a level like French federal1 or 2, but in few years 2 others teams will surely have a ProD2 level too : Kazan, who's joining the championship with a good budget (1.5Mâ'¬), they have recruits some moldovan international last year. And Krasnodar, based on a 7's team. They have vert good backs like Ostrouchko but i don't know what level will have forwards...

Vladislav Korshunov (London Wasps, England)
Adam Byrnes (Melbourne Rebels, Australia)
Andrey Ostrikov (Sale Sharks, England)
Kirill Kulemine (Castres Olympique, France)
Serge Sergueev Jr (US Montauban, France)
Viktor Gresev (London Wasps, England)
Konstantin Rachkov (Carqueiranne-Hyeres, France)
Andrey Prochine (Capilano RFC, Canada)
Vasily Artemyev (Northampton Saints, England)
And now Giorgi Minadze, russian capped, back to Georgia.
Surely others at a amateur level...

2012 Russian Super League :

Premier Division :

Enisey-STM
Krasny Yar
VVA-Podmoskovye
RC Novokuznetsk
Imperia Penza
DSP-Slava
Spartak GM
Fili Moscow
Agrouniversitet Kazan
Boulava Taganrog

Second Division

Group A
Akademiya VVS (VVA Podmoskovye second team)
Narvskaya Zastava St. Petersburg
Varyag Novgorod
Mai Yuzhny Tushino Moscow

Group B
Marino, Moscow
Dinamo-Energiya Kazan
Zelenograd Moscow
Kuban Krasnodar

Vladislav Korshunov (London Wasps, England)
Adam Byrnes (Melbourne Rebels, Australia)
Andrey Ostrikov (Sale Sharks, England)
Kirill Kulemine (Castres Olympique, France)
Serge Sergueev Jr (US Montauban, France)
Viktor Gresev (London Wasps, England)
Konstantin Rachkov (Carqueiranne-Hyeres, France)
Andrey Prochine (Capilano RFC, Canada)
Vasily Artemyev (Northampton Saints, England)
And now Giorgi Minadze, russian capped, back to Georgia.
Surely others at a amateur level...

The more the better. I know that Irish teams learned alot from players going abroad and foreigners coming into Ireland soon after the game went professional. They found out for example that they were very unfit and not very professional.

Russian Super League 2012 :

673149russiansuperleague.png

Latest posts