• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 Qualifying & Repechage Tournament

Touché on Grannygate. Reading it, that was a far bigger offence as it was wilfully misleading World Rugby compared to an unintentional cock-up by Romania, Tahiti and possibly Spain.

The inconsistency in dealing with T1 on one side and Tahiti on the other creates big headaches. Omnishambles!

Based on what I read today, we cam add Belgium to the list as they fielded a guy who only has a Belgian great-grandfather instead of at most a grandparent.

At this rate, they won't find 20 eligible teams to send to the World Cup. They'll have to send in an Emperor's XV or something to make up numbers.

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/324233

So world rugby is going to do something. They just don't know what.

Seems that a replay is a minimum, but eligibility issues could alter the table dramatically.

Blimey! That is opening a can of worms for future generations. You can now be rewarded for questioning the integrity of other unions and their referees.

I look forward to Italy insisting that none of their RWC matches are officiated by a Kiwi or South African. Japan had a match officiated by a South African at the last RWC apparently - but didn't feel the need ot query the conflict of interest.

I think World Rugby would have been better advised to eliminate Romania on eligibility grounds rather than insinuate widespread corruption (which I think their statement leaves open as a possibility). I work on the assumption that the decision has been taken that Romania's goose is cooked.

Blimey! That is opening a can of worms for future generations. You can now be rewarded for questioning the integrity of other unions and their referees.

I look forward to Italy insisting that none of their RWC matches are officiated by a Kiwi or South African. Japan had a match officiated by a South African at the last RWC apparently - but didn't feel the need ot query the conflict of interest.

I think World Rugby would have been better advised to eliminate Romania on eligibility grounds rather than insinuate widespread corruption (which I think their statement leaves open as a possibility). I work on the assumption that the decision has been taken that Romania's goose is cooked.

They basically say that no 'neutral' 6N ref can now officiate a 6N game and no 'neutral' RC ref can officiate an RC game as by their precedent there's obviously the possible perception of bias. This is bonkers.

Spanish eligibility issues are well know from some weeks but some tried to put them under the carpet or insinuate that WR regulation may apply retroactively which nothing of WR precendents in this type of cases suggest

Btw, I am curious what are the odds now and how can be calculated, if possible :D

Do you think this will all be resolved in time to organize the Repechage play-off with Samoa in June?

If they have to first re-play some REC matches, then organize & hold the Portugal play-off, the time for that is starting to run out...

I think we can expect some verdict at the end of this month so I presume there is plenty of time to prepare for June.

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/334794

Russia Qualifies.
Germany has to play Portugal, winner goes to the European/Oceania playoff.
Belguim plays Portugal to see who remains in REC.

This makes my brain hurt.

So Portugal could conceivably qualify and not play in the first division? Have to say I'm equally confused but it appears we get Russia in the RWC

So Portugal could conceivably qualify and not play in the first division? Have to say I'm equally confused but it appears we get Russia in the RWC
It appears that the winner of the trophy would always get an away playoff against the second best non-Georgia team.

Before this they'd be expected to get blown out but they might have a chance vs Germany.

The decision is mind blowing.
Romania already stated they will appeal.

Saw several outraged spanish clubs saying this will destroy rugby's growth there.

It appears that the winner of the trophy would always get an away playoff against the second best non-Georgia team.

Before this they'd be expected to get blown out but they might have a chance vs Germany.

Seems like Canada are the biggest winners here (other than Russia obviously). Seems like the easiest way out for WR. Disastrous for rugby in Spain though.

Disastrous for rugby everywhere.
They basically failed to address the issues raised (most important one was conflict of interest) and let the people responsible for such a mess get away with it, while all those who dared to question anything (Belgium, Spain, Romania) got severely punished for something completely different.
I am saying something completely different because i don't think anyone in his right mind doubts no one would have even checked the eligibility issue if it wasn't for Spain complaining about the ref.

It's a textbook case of "you wanna file a complain for that? Fine. i'm sure i'll find something on you if i dig deep enough".

Well, it could be that they're just big amateurs, but either way, it makes rugby look ridiculous.

Still, I hope Wild and the DRV will sort out their problems so we'll actually have a competitive team.

My condolences to any rugby fan caught up in this but the die was cast when Tahiti were disqualified. Legally, this was the only solution from that point onwards.

The full comical nature of this may be yet to unfold. Russia have been afforded no opportunity to play a remotely decent nation outside of the REC for at least two years (and the REC is during their off season, so they don't compete well in it). They will be so undercooked going into an RWC it will not be real (although their level is not so very far behind Spain).

I think their only solution is to put the full Russia squad in next years Challenge Cup under the Enisey club flag.

If Germany don't get their internal dispute resolved then Portugal will walk all over them. There is talk that Romania rather than Belgium may be in the relegation playoff against Portugal, which would hold back Portuguese rugby for another year.

The only clear winners are Samoa and Canada.

I dislike the old 3 year residency rules (although not as much as the grandparent rule) but this does seem a very harsh result given that there are mitigating factors in both the Spanish and Romanian arguments (i.e. it is all about ignorance rather than something underhand).

It'd be worth checking the Tier1 sides at the last RWC didn't field anyone ineligible as that too would have to disqualify them from this RWC (as finishing in the top 3 in their RWC pool is what qualified them for the next RWC).

Here's the Rugby Europe media release.

Well this is quite a spanner in the works. If (big if!) this is not changed on appeal, Romania will be eliminated on a technicality after already qualifying, and two more teams (after the Cook Islands) will be brought back from beyond elimination. (No one will feel any sympathy for Spain after their PR-suicide - "Result of the Belgium / Spain game stands" muhahaha). Germany will still have to play Portugal (as had already been scheduled and canceled), but for RWC qualification instead of REC qualification. They would join a very short list of countries to have finished the REC in the top 5 in consecutive editions.

BTW - can anyone confirm the number of points deducted from each team in the REC table? I haven't seen anything official saying Belgium plays Portugal for promotion/relegation, and Wikipedia says it's Romania vs Portugal. Romania finish on minus 11 points!

Samoa winning on aggregate H&A vs either Germany or Portugal would be a mere formality,
so Pool A would be (in order of seeding) Japan, Ireland, Scotland, Russia, Samoa

for the Repechage Tournament, Canada would become the favourite, but Hong Kong, Portugal and Namibia are really close and if those teams qualify, every match would be a tossup. (66%-34% for the least competitive of the 6 games, on current WR Rankings)

I don't trust anything until the appeals are all exhausted. (May 30th at the earliest). This is just World Rugby's opening bid. If everything changes again, I won't be too surprised.
E.g. if they deduct 2 points instead of 5 for each ineligible player, Russia are still Europe 1, Romania progress to the RWC play-off with 17 points, (ahead of Spain on 10 points), and Germany plays in the relegation match as Belgium keep 3 points, Romania keep 4 points and Spain keep 5 points - The same 2 fixtures vs Portugal, but they swap purpose. Seems pretty fair to me at least.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong has earned a big advantage in the first half of the Asia Rugby Championship - though anything is still mathematically possible;
and the Rugby Africa Gold Cup doesn't start until June 16.

So Portugal could conceivably qualify and not play in the first division?
That was always on the cards. Though it's much more *likely* now since Germany is still struggling with internal politics, and lost to Belgium.
(as Mole beat me to explaining)

Last edited:

Latest posts