• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - South Africa (15/09/2012)

How the **** does the ****er only get two weeks? That is a legal MMA move enough to knock professional fighter out.

"Careless" it's called. Careless is slipping up on a high tackle, or a guy not supporting the player correctly when trying to tackle him on a lineout.

That was just bullshit.

Yeah ****ing right.

That **** should be bannable for at least a year. BLATANT! Seriously, how can anyone defend this? Even his own ****ing caoch can't.

(I'm obviously angry but rightly so...)

Apart from that ****ery, the game was good - good intensity. I was annoyed that Habana scored that try like that - which is good for Bok fans cos he's looked to be a bit more attacking! Goosen is good on attack, got run over on defence though.

The ABs seem to get powered out at the rucks though.

Its blatant thuggery and all those other words to describe Macho Man Randy Savages trademark 'Flying Elbow', but its expected from the 'Boks. French rugby wouldve raised the point that it was poorly timed and too open as they're another team who like to ploy dirty physicality.

All countries do it including the All Blacks. I just think you have to expect that and as long as its not career or life ending, the show must go on. It'll happen again.

Boks let me down in this game. Started great and then...<_<

Last edited:
this is definitely one of those games where the springboks should not come out and say they have faith in their gameplan, really it was their gameplan that let them down. Bit shocked after the game to hear them saying that.

They should be running the ball and trying to draw the All Blacks forward on defense, what they are actually doing is kicking when the AB's have 3+ guys back covering for kicks, and kicking to Dagg is epic fail. he's got an epic sized punt, even under pressure.
Kicking to Jane and Dagg is pointless. If you kick to someone it should be Savea who is the most questionable of the back three under the high ball. Also they should have given their chasers a chance to actually chase the kicks.

Its blatant thuggery and all those other words to describe Macho Man Randy Savages trademark 'Flying Elbow', but its expected from the 'Boks. French rugby wouldve raised the point that it was poorly timed and too open as they're another team who like to ploy dirty physicality.

All countries do it including the All Blacks. I just think you have to expect that and as long as its not career or life ending, the show must go on. It'll happen again.

Boks let me down in this game. Started great and then...<_<
Yes, but not quite like that, or quite like the French.

Look, I expect "fringe" (shoving and holding players down by the neck/shirt) is relatively fair play, in and around the rucks and it's fair game if the ref calls it or not.

Heck, even Habana's gamesmanship last night (when he clearly touched the ball before gonig out of bounds) and clamiing that he didn't (as much as it ANNOYED me for him being like that) is still within the confines of 'iffy play' and is within the confines of gamesmanship.

But that Greyling one is just beyond all that. It's even worse than the blatant knee to the face by that Irish bloke.

No excuse that it's only 2 weeks (1 game).

Last edited:
Hey, anyone notice how the vBookie gave vCash to those that bet South Africa would win?

Lol.

EDIT.. and with that, TRF_Ezequiel has bagged a huge 4.75 MILLION vCash......

Hmmmm, something smells fishy here!

LOL

Last edited:
Worse yet, its really only one week as there is no match next weekend, so he'll be clear to play the the return clash against NZ in three weeks time.

From iRB regulation 17 Appendix 1
[TEXTAREA]When is the iRB going to wake up to the fact that bans need to be for matches and weeks!!
10.4(a) Striking another Player with a hand, arm
or fist
LE – 2 weeks
MR – 5 weeks
TE - 8+ weeks
[/TEXTAREA]

I find it difficult to believe that this was a Low End offence, so he has got at least three weeks off for an unspecified combination of mitigation, remorse or clean record.

IMO remorse should carry very little weight. Its too easy to be sorry after the fact, and its too easy to fake.

Perhaps it was considered low end because McCaw didn't seem to be affected by it - no woozies, no blood - that sort of thing?

Also, could it have been considered accidental contact? Sure, we know it was done on purpose, but he could also claim that his elbow accidentally made contact. It could be argued that it's not as clear cut as when someone grabs another by the collar and punches them in the face or head-butts. He could feign innocence with a 'whoopsies, I didn't mean to do that', and I suppose they would have to take his word for it.

However, if that's the case then it would almost make it worse. Such dishonesty about his conduct would - ya know - rivel the masterful artistry of the football dive. ;)

And I do agree - it should be game suspensions, not just weeks, especially when it's only for a short time.

das

Perhaps it was considered low end because McCaw didn't seem to be affected by it - no woozies, no blood - that sort of thing?

Foul Play is judged on the action of the player, not the outcome or injury to the victim, so I doubt that was it

Also, could it have been considered accidental contact? Sure, we know it was done on purpose, but he could also claim that his elbow accidentally made contact. It could be argued that it's not as clear cut as when someone grabs another by the collar and punches them in the face or head-butts. He could feign innocence with a 'whoopsies, I didn't mean to do that', and I suppose they would have to take his word for it.

You mean like McCaw accidentally rammed his head into Greyling's arm?

However, if that's the case then it would almost make it worse. Such dishonesty about his conduct would - ya know - rivel the masterful artistry of the football dive. ;)

And I do agree - it should be game suspensions, not just weeks, especially when it's only for a short time.

das

I agree

Foul Play is judged on the action of the player, not the outcome or injury to the victim, so I doubt that was it

As it should be. I'm just trying to figure out why such a light penalty, thought maybe they considered it a 'not as bad as it looks' type thing.

You mean like McCaw accidentally rammed his head into Greyling's arm?

Exactly! :lol:

das

I'm just really disappointed with a lot of things rugby this weekend;

- worst AB performance in a while and we couldn't finish them off.
- a couple of games into the test season and still no indication of either better execution or development of depth in the 'game plan'.
- never was a Greyling fan but still didn't expect that kind of BS from him.
- JdV- our captain- seemingly happy with that SA performance boggles my mind and that reflection of where the team is at mentally is perhaps the most disappointing.
- Greyling getting only 2 weeks. It means he might conceivably play for us again and it should really have been a red card and a couple of weeks more suspended.
- WP losing to the Sharks again and the 2 red cards we got in that game.

[just saying]
I am continually astonished at the amount of filthy play and thuggery Richie McCaw has been subjected to over the years. OK, he plays close to, and often over the edge of legality, but there really is no justification for the treatment he gets meted out What is even more amazing is that it doesn't seem top affect him (reminds me of the lyics of a song by Chumbawamba...."I get knocked down, but I get up again"). Also, I have never seen him retaliate or exact retribution.

For the record....

Head-stamped by Ali Williams
Swinging arm to the face by Phil Waugh
Spear tackled by Lote Tuquiri (a real spear tackle, picked up, rotated and driven head first into the ground)
Kneed in the head by Quade Cooper
Forearm Drop by Dylan Hartley
Swinging arm to the head by Andy Powell
Head Butted by Aurelian Rougerie
Eye gouged by Aurelian Rougerie
Head Butted by Dean Greyling
Forearm to the face by Dean Greyling

And all that from memeory, without even looking anything up

Can anyone thinkm of another player that he been subjected to so much brutality

[/just saying]

Was it he who Heaslip put the knee into a few years ago? I seem to remember Cian Healy being a classy prick and putting his leg over McCaw's head to make sure Heaslip didn't get a chance at a second go.

Was it he who Heaslip put the knee into a few years ago? I seem to remember Cian Healy being a classy prick and putting his leg over McCaw's head to make sure Heaslip didn't get a chance at a second go.

Yep. Forgot that one

IIRC, Wayne Barnes red carded Heaslip for that.

I think its testimont to the fact that he really does get under his opposition's skin. Class act to never retaliate (that I can think of) and just taking it on the chin/head/cheekbone/etc and looking at the ref/touch judge with imploring eyes.

Well well well... After reading this last bunch of pages, I think my opinion of the match will only infuriate Eze and other Saffas even more... But F*** it, I think it is still relevant.

Yes Morne Cost us the game, yes he should swim back to South Africa, but please use your arms, because if you kick, you'll never make it.

BUT,

Every other kicker that went for goal also missed, Frans Steyn, Johan Goosen and Cruden. Morne just had more chances than the others. They were also playing with an Adidas Ball and not a Gilbert ball (sneaky All Blacks) and that stadium is not good to kickers.

That being said, still very disappointed with the loss. For the first time, apart from the kicking, our gameplan worked!! HM's plan for ruck time worked great, and we didn't concede much ball at ruck time. Flouw and Duane Vermeulen kept Richie in check, and the Bokke proved that we are the closest of any other team in world rugby to beat the All Blacks. for much of the game, and even John Mitchell and Nick Mallett agreed that the Boks dominated all parts of the match, except on the scoreboard.

Dean Greyling has been banned for 2 weeks, but my guess is that we won't see him soon in a bok jersey again as HM is very harsh on discipline and he'll use Dean as an example. why Beast was ever taken off, only HM will know. Adriaan Strauss needs to seriously work on his lineout throws, Bekker and Kruger was immense, along with Beast the best of the tight five.

Willem Alberts had a quiet game again, apart from that tackle right in the beginning he faded away like Nokia in the cellphone market. I will not at all be unhappy if we have Brussouw and Flouw playing together in the next match. And Duane had a much better game at no. 8 than his debut.

As for the backline, the only person who deserves a mention is Bryan Habana. He was Bucking Frilliant!!!

Well well well... After reading this last bunch of pages, I think my opinion of the match will only infuriate Eze and other Saffas even more... But F*** it, I think it is still relevant.

Yes Morne Cost us the game, yes he should swim back to South Africa, but please use your arms, because if you kick, you'll never make it.

BUT,

Every other kicker that went for goal also missed, Frans Steyn, Johan Goosen and Cruden. Morne just had more chances than the others. They were also playing with an Adidas Ball and not a Gilbert ball (sneaky All Blacks) and that stadium is not good to kickers.

That being said, still very disappointed with the loss. For the first time, apart from the kicking, our gameplan worked!! HM's plan for ruck time worked great, and we didn't concede much ball at ruck time. Flouw and Duane Vermeulen kept Richie in check, and the Bokke proved that we are the closest of any other team in world rugby to beat the All Blacks. for much of the game, and even John Mitchell and Nick Mallett agreed that the Boks dominated all parts of the match, except on the scoreboard.

Dean Greyling has been banned for 2 weeks, but my guess is that we won't see him soon in a bok jersey again as HM is very harsh on discipline and he'll use Dean as an example. why Beast was ever taken off, only HM will know. Adriaan Strauss needs to seriously work on his lineout throws, Bekker and Kruger was immense, along with Beast the best of the tight five.

Willem Alberts had a quiet game again, apart from that tackle right in the beginning he faded away like Nokia in the cellphone market. I will not at all be unhappy if we have Brussouw and Flouw playing together in the next match. And Duane had a much better game at no. 8 than his debut.

As for the backline, the only person who deserves a mention is Bryan Habana. He was Bucking Frilliant!!!

Can't see much in that post that infuriates me LOL.

The pack pretty much had one over on the ABs except at the line-out (how ironic!) and I agree that a territory domination game is the right one BUT there were way too many kicks without any reasoning behind them from both 9 and 10 and we can't seem to get anything done with the ball in hand with our current 10-12-13 setup with Morne and JdV the big culprits and Kirschner is not effective joining the line. Our only try came off of a stumble by FLouw and then some good recovery work and a sharp Habana having to create his own chances FFS. The other chance was Hougie pouncing on a ball popping out of a ruck and a mistake at the line-out by the ABs. In other words nothing constructively created and if we havn't realised the opposition are onto the kick-and-chase-at-every-chance-sometimes-not-even-chasing game already... well, we can't expect any other results than the ones we've been having the last 4 years. It can work if executed right but it needs to be done at the right times and it has to be varied with good all-round play in order to keep the opposition guessing to be effective.

I think we have depth in the forwards and they are playing well for the most part and I am glad that they seem to be addressing the ruck area quite effectively but that means precious little if the rest falls flat from there and I think it's time HM makes some tough choices in selections for the backs as well as developing our ball-in-hand game. Don't totally rehaul but get some depth to the way we play (we used to have more than 1 arrow in our quiver but started to become 1 dimensional throughout PdV's time at the helm) and get the best players in there.

Last edited:

BUT,

Yes, but he missed the most and had the easiest kicks. When your only skill is kicking, you've gotta make your kicks.

In other words nothing constructively created and if we havn't realised the opposition are onto the kick-and-chase-at-every-chance-sometimes-not-even-chasing game already... well, we can't expect any other results than the ones we've been having the last 4 years.

"If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got"

[just saying]
I am continually astonished at the amount of filthy play and thuggery Richie McCaw has been subjected to over the years. OK, he plays close to, and often over the edge of legality, but there really is no justification for the treatment he gets meted out What is even more amazing is that it doesn't seem top affect him (reminds me of the lyics of a song by Chumbawamba...."I get knocked down, but I get up again"). Also, I have never seen him retaliate or exact retribution.

For the record....

Head-stamped by Ali Williams
Swinging arm to the face by Phil Waugh
Spear tackled by Lote Tuquiri (a real spear tackle, picked up, rotated and driven head first into the ground)
Kneed in the head by Quade Cooper
Forearm Drop by Dylan Hartley
Swinging arm to the head by Andy Powell
Head Butted by Aurelian Rougerie
Eye gouged by Aurelian Rougerie
Head Butted by Dean Greyling
Forearm to the face by Dean Greyling

[/just saying]

Yep, he's a champion. No one else. I can think of a few others including Cian Healy punching him in the face on the ground - no one seemed to notice. Look at 3:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1b4wHF_tqQ

Heck, even Habana's gamesmanship last night (when he clearly touched the ball before gonig out of bounds) and clamiing that he didn't (as much as it ANNOYED me for him being like that) is still within the confines of 'iffy play' and is within the confines of gamesmanship.

I dont know about clearly adam. Anyway, I think if Habanna said yes he touched it, he would've looked like a...

[just saying]

[/just saying]

Well he is as annoying as a fly around your dinner.

Class act to never retaliate (that I can think of) and just taking it on the chin/head/cheekbone/etc and looking at the ref/touch judge with imploring eyes.

LOL, hes such an innocent angel is old Ritchie. Well thats what hes after isnt he?...he gets in there and annoys the opposition, cops a knock and hopes someone saw it.

LOL, leave Morne alone. He'll be back!

Our only try came off of a stumble by FLouw and then some good recovery work and a sharp Habana having to create his own chances FFS.

Stumbles are a real oppertunity for both teams, but on this occasion Habanna was around to pounce and none better. Great to see him score a great try, hes still the man, its just his team.

i even heard from some SA fans that the stadium management turned on the aircons everytime SA had a kick at goal :p

good on you management :D

Latest posts