• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Australia - South Africa (08/09/2012)

I'd pick basson and pietersen on the wings and have hougaaaaaaard as an impact player off the bench or start him at sh and give pienaar are rest. Also, I think both steyns are finished and that the boks should put their faith in the future and start with goosen for m.steyn and lambie for kirchner.

Who else is an option at 9 though? I don't see anyone
Plus I was naming players who are currently fit.

I was unsure, as Broussouw is still out injured I thought?

I think at the moment Pienaar is still better than the two you've gone with. I was thouroughly unimpressed with McCleod during the Super Rugby season, and Pretorious can't even hold down a place at the Waratahs.

F.Steyn is not finished he played pretty well yesterday. M.Steyn and JdV is finished but we don't have anyone else that can take up the Captaincy at the moment.

I predict we'll still see M.Steyn starting though, he probably played well enough for Meyer to start.

Gutted about the result. A lot of negatives and some positives...

Let's start with the negatives:
1. Duane Vermeulen was very quiet, but it was his first game, so I'll give him the benefit of this one.
2. Ruan Pienaar should stop directing traffic and get the damn ball out! At times he took forever and then the aussies turned over the ball.
3. Still a problem at ruck time, but it was better.
4. Frans Steyn used the skip pass too much and at one stage he used it when we had an overlap!
5. JDV was very crappy, 2nd game in a row! He's a 12 not a 13.
6. Goosen and Lambie should've come up at 60min not 72!

The positives:
1. Our lineout was better, Jeandre Kruger makes good calls.
2. Our scrum was better, conceding just 1 penalty.
3. Hougaard should play wing, end of story, he was busy, and very dangerous and solid in defence.
4. Our defence was for 80% of the time rocksolid, we were pinned in our own 22 for long times and held firm.
5. Goosen came up like someone who has been with the squad forever, fearless and tenacious.
6. We got a bonus point for losing by less than 7 away from home.

Congrats Aus. Next week it's the All Blacks, we have nothing to lose, we're wounded. Perfect chance for Heyneke to employ some wholesale changes where he can. Goosen at 10, Lambie at 15.

Oh one last thing, Mvovo, this is RUGBY, you catch the ball, not kick it when it's coming straight at you! You scared shitless piece of crap!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Think the boks need to go with a 10-12 combo of Goosen and Lambie to have any chance against NZ.

interesting looking at the Aussie team. I said when Pocock was injured that they would not miss him and I think that has turned out to be correct.

Hooper was pretty impressive, Given that the Aussies have struggled to find a blindside flanker. Wonder if in future it would be worth considering Pocock at 6? They will lose height, maybe lose a lineout option. But gain a lot overall.

Backline looked good, better balance. Genia will be a massive loss, almost kinda changes their whole game plan when such an important player goes down injured. Us kiwis know about it because for such a long time the side revolved around Carter & McCaw - though not so much these days and we are better off for it I think.

man, why on earth did they choose Samo for the post game interview. His acceptance speech for the try of the year at the irb awards was the most awkward TV interview I think I've ever seen.

HE appeared by the panel and I thought I should just turn the tv off rather than watch the carnage.

man, why on earth did they choose Samo for the post game interview. His acceptance speech for the try of the year at the irb awards was the most awkward TV interview I think I've ever seen.

HE appeared by the panel and I thought I should just turn the tv off rather than watch the carnage.

Samo is a great ambassador for the game especially for the many fijian migrants living in Australia. Sure english isn't his strength but the bloke is willing to get up there and give it a crack, so good on him I say. his interviews beat robbie deans "we'll go away and dissect the footage of the game and dissect the various key points to ascertain the learnings of the key points we have learnt from tonights experience" jibberish.

How did Samo's interview go?

I'm glad we get to play Oz again after the tournament finishes, although it's nice to thump them by 20 points, it's good to get a proper game against a top Oz side - they're my favourite test matches.

Yep, and for the 5th match in a row between these two teams!

I can't imagine he will get a suspension - it was an idiotic thing to do, but the fact it didn't even look like he made contact (if he did it was very minimal) should count in his favour.

Good summary. Glad you pointed out the AAC double tackle, as that was the highlight of the game for me - it was thought he used the first player he tackled to slingshot himself onto the second player!

Overall a fair result in my opinion - the Boks had the better of the first half, but Australia looked the better team in the second. There was no doubt the addition of Goosen and Lambie with 10 minutes to go sparked the Boks though - hopefully Meyer wasn't watching and they stick with Steyn at 10 against at the AB's next week :p

Arguably the man of the match for me was Ben Alexander. I suggested before the match that he was a poor scrummager, but it certainly didn't look that way this match. He more than held his own against Mtawarira, and was good in the loose, and fully deserved his try with an incredibly powerful run. Polota-Nau and Benn Robinson were solid, though Robinson still isn't the same player he was before his knee injury. I wasn't overly impressed with any of the South African front-rowers, and though Mtawarira in particular had a shocker. Both locking combinations were solid in my opinion, though Sharpe did seem to get himself penalised a lot.

Where Australia had a big advantage was in the loose-forwards, with Hooper basically single-handedly out playing the entire Boks loose-trio at the breakdown! He didn't get many clean pilfers, but he put a huge amount of pressure on South African ball, meaning South Africa could not get any quick ball to play with (not that they probably would have used it!). Hooper's running game was also superb - despite being dwarfed by the South African loose-forwards he was a far more effective ball runner than any of them. Dennis had probably his best game for Australia, with a strong work-rate, a number of takes in the lineout, and some good ball running in the tight. Likewise Samo was very strong with ball in hand, and particularly punishing on defense, while Higginbotham was even effective when he came on! In contrast the South African loosies were barely in the game. I thought Coetzee was the pick of them with his solid defense before he was subbed off. Vermeulen was largely ineffective (apart from some good work at the breakdown late in the game), while if Alberts wasn't standing out for missing tackles I would suggest he was completely anonymous!

Genia was good, while Cooper was resonably solid, though guilty of a few aimless kicks, and did miss quite a few tackles on defense. I was advocating Pienaar at halfback, but after this display I'm not sure. His general covering play was excellent, but for some reason he decided that the slower the Boks backs got the ball the better - he did at least as good a job as Hooper at ensuring the Boks didn't get quick ball! Morne Steyn was Morne Steyn. I hope he starts next week against the All Blacks. Barnes was solid on defense, and his goal-kicking was superb, but his general play was pretty poor in my opinion - I'm not sure why he thought doing useless grubbers whenever he got the ball was a good tactic? Ashley-Cooper was solid at centre, but got few chances with ball in hand. The Boks midfield was very disappointing again, and I think they really need to make a change in this area (though preferably after the AB's test....). Francois Steyn is solid, but offered nothing in attack, while de Villiers was poor at centre in my opinion, missing a couple of crucial tackles. Out wide Dom Shipperly had a superb debut - strong with ball in hand, great under the high ball, and solid in defense - perhaps he should have been starting on the right wing from the start of the season (as I, and a number of others of the forum suggested ;) ). Ioane was well contain, while Beale was solid (stupid grubber kicks aside), which is a step up from where he was against the AB's. I thought Hougaard was probably the pick of the Boks - if they all played with his commitment Australia wouldn't have been in the game! Habana was solid, while Kirchner kicked the ball every time he touched it (like usual). Mvovo had a bit of a shocker from the bench too.

I'm sure both teams have plenty to work on after that match - I'm looking forward the return match in South Africa, which should be a cracker!

I totally agree with you.

I just want to make my point.
The grubber kicks.
Many said they were stupid, they were useless, this tactics has to stop.

You know what? I think it worked fairly good this time!

They were all grubbers spotted behind the defensive line (not deep ones), and they were kicked obviously not in midfield, but when they were sideways.
The more you do that, the more the wingers are drawed up, and the fullback must move himself much more... the Wallabies have varied their kicking game on this game more than ever, they kicked for the corner/cross field, they kicked deep, they grubbered sideways and they chipped, to not giving the Bokke any benchmarks!

The result was, IMHO, both wingers were many times up, Kirchner has been isolated few times and he has to give back the Wallabies the ball. They put him under an enormous pressure. But let me say it, Kirchner has his best game with the Bokke so far!

His position on this match has been always awesome (big improvements from Arg match), and he almost saved any deep kick, but most time he was alone, so the ball MUST kicked back because of the lack of the support!

I think the chip/grubber kicks tactic worked quite well, what I didn't liked were too many kicks made with many Springboks covering back (sometimes they were 4), but it happened when the Wallabies were playing in their 22 of course, so it's difficult to run the ball from there... with good margin (so it was not the case) they would have run it much more (like Sydney test in 2011), and it would have hurt!

FFS how long is Frans Steyn married? 2 months?!?! How the hell he did put already 25 kilos on his belt?! Give him a dietist! He didn't played bad, but he's slooooooooooooow!

The panel of experts on SuperSport had some good opinions afterwards and was good to hear
Two things stood out

- Most are more disappointed that upset about the loss
- Boks desperately need some X-Factor

P.S. also mentioned is that 12 and 13 plays the same type of game - big bashers, not ideal, no creative spark especially if you have a boring one dimensional scared out of form has been at 10

Last edited:
You guys need a proper 13.

Frans and De Villiers are good players but it isn't a coincidence that they played their best rugby with Fourie outside them.

Well, picking these players in certain positions just isn't working. What the hell does Lambie have to do to get his shot in the Bok team? At least he came on as a sub, but at full-back with 8 minutes to go... That's just wrong. The problems in our team are quite clear:

- We have no distributing fly-half
- We have no center who cracks the line
- Our passing out wide is too quick (Players need to run at the opponent and then pass, to give the players outside an overlap)
- We need a hooker who plays like one
- We are too slow at the breakdown

It's really not that difficult to make this happen. Just pick the form players in stead of the players who rely on their past performances. If we cannot win with our veterans in the backline, just try some new guys. Lambie/Goosen at 10 (although I think Goosen is just a bit too inexperienced still), Robert Ebersohn or Paul Jordaan at outside center, Brussow as a fetcher (since we miss a fetcher now that Bismarck is out injured) and just pick a freaking hooker who can bring something to our game. Even if it is Schalk Brits. I don't get the whole hype around Schalk Brits but surely he cannot be worse than Adriaan Strauss and Thug Liebenberg?

Well, picking these players in certain positions just isn't working. What the hell does Lambie have to do to get his shot in the Bok team? At least he came on as a sub, but at full-back with 8 minutes to go... That's just wrong. The problems in our team are quite clear:

The problem HM has in this country is still the colour factor... if he drops Zane, people are going to complain, believe me... this might be the reason he is still playing zane and i believe it is.. poor lambie :(

in anycase, i though bakkies botha retired :? i guess head butting comes with the no4 Bok jersey :p

Last edited:
I actually though Zane played well. He's solid under the high ball for the most part and his territorial kicking is really good. I think he gets way too much blame, he's been one of the best Boks in the RC so far i reckon

Last edited:
I actually though Zane played well

played well "maybe", but i know lambie would have done better... everytime Zane got the ball he kicked up-and-unders... the 1st time lambie got the ball he ran and cought AUS off gaurd... the same with Goosen... my word if i predict what the boks are going to do next so could AUS... Goosen and Lambie are unpredictable... unlike M. Steyn and Zane aka 1 trick ponies...

Latest posts