• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby challenge 2: The lions tour edition announced

Thank you, thank you all. Nothing happens at the end. When your 13th season ends, you have another World Cup, then after that finishes you just get a chance to have a look at your career stats as the little trophy icon pops up in the top-right corner, congratulating you. Only lost 9 games and drew 2 in 13 seasons, 10 of which were on Pro. I think that's pretty impressive.
lol sports games tend to be pretty subpar on this behalf.

I spent a lot of time editing stats (mainly of the forwards) but i have a question for us all.

In the game the forwards (props) are usually half the speed of a winger and accelerated half as fast. So a prop would be
Prop
Speed - 45
Acceleration - 42

Wing
Speed - 79
Acceleration -81

Is that a fair assesment of rreal life? Are props half the speed of wingers?

I just founf in the game that the locks were all too slow as in reality they are often as fast as the backrow who should be similar speed to the centres???

Just food for thought when they do the stats

I spent a lot of time editing stats (mainly of the forwards) but i have a question for us all.

In the game the forwards (props) are usually half the speed of a winger and accelerated half as fast. So a prop would be
Prop
Speed - 45
Acceleration - 42

Wing
Speed - 79
Acceleration -81

I just founf in the game that the locks were all too slow as in reality they are often as fast as the backrow who should be similar speed to the centres???

Just food for thought when they do the stats

Well as a front rower I run the 100m on an average of around 13 seconds (hand timed). 12.8 is my PB hand timed. So even assuming I'm reasonably quick for a front row (which I like to think I am) and that the speed of the stop watch is off by a second - we'll assume the average front row can usually manage 14.5 seconds over 100m.

So I think you make a good point - unless wingers are running 7.25 seconds over 100m, these should be made more realistic. Also, all front rowers are very harshly rated. A rating of 65 in Rugby Challenge is quite the achievement if your a tight forward..Makes me want to read 'Ethan Albright's letter to John Madden' parody again, haha.

Last edited:
Well as a front rower I run the 100m on an average of around 13 seconds (hand timed). 12.8 is my PB hand timed. So even assuming I'm reasonably quick for a front row (which I like to think I am) and that the speed of the stop watch is off by a second - we'll assume the average front row can usually manage 14.5 seconds over 100m.

So I think you make a good point - unless wingers are running 7.25 seconds over 100m, these should be made more realistic. Also, all front rowers are very harshly rated. A rating of 65 in Rugby Challenge is quite the achievement if your a tight forward..Makes me want to read 'Ethan Albright's letter to John Madden' parody again, haha.

I think the difference is in acceleration not the speed. Big guys take longer to accelerate than wingers. Guys like the Beast has a decent acceleration too and will be an exception to the average speed of props

I am just glad it is coming out with the Super Rugby season still going! Last time it came out at the end and the squads were pretty much out of date straight away. Definitely getting this one as well. Got to show the support if we want them to keep coming out! Who would've thought we'd only have to wait two years for the next instalment. Brilliant!

Fantastic News hopefully with no hb making a game we can see a much more completed game last time it felt like half and half in each game.

Prop
Speed - 45
Acceleration - 42

Wing
Speed - 79
Acceleration -81

Having a speed stat which is half that of another player doesn't mean that player is only half as fast. That would only be the case if setting the players speed to 0 or 1 meant they pretty much couldn't move.

@Mario & @Milla have you guys thought about using TRF's members to give contributions towards the game?

For instance, on this forum there's a bunch of NZ's, Aussies, Saffas, Argentinians, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English and French members as well as guys from the island nations and tier 3 nations.

Could it be possible that along with the administrators you give each nation's a group of guys to assist with stats and profiles and so on?

For instance, with the South African Teams we have me as a Bull supporter, Someoke as a Cheetah and Kings supporter, Draggs and TRF_Ezequiel as sharks supporters and Stormer and Gena as Stormers supporters. Sidhe give us the list of guys that will be on the game and their stats, and we join forces to assist in making the stats as close to the correct stats for the players and also the spelling of the names are correct.

Thanks, but all the stats, players, and lineups are all already locked down.

At some point, probably, but I can't speak any more on licenses and the nature of them at this stage.

Can you confirm or Deny whether you are attempting to get more licences still?

Having a speed stat which is half that of another player doesn't mean that player is only half as fast. That would only be the case if setting the players speed to 0 or 1 meant they pretty much couldn't move.

I've never actually thought of it that way, i might go and set the speed of a player to 0 and see what happens!

Did people in general thing the speed difference between the players for right?

I'm definitely hoping that with this game or future ***les, stats will become increasingly important to gameplay and strategy.

I should have to think about how I'm going to get over the gain-line for example, and using, say Billy Vunipola to take the ball up should really pay dividends, whilst taking it into contact with Ben Youngs should not really get you anywhere at all. I know that developers already try to do this, but I feel that because rugby depends on these small differences, stats should be weighted so that differences matter and higher stats are rewarded in all areas of the game.

The other thing I'm keen to see successfully implemented again is a form system. I think rugby 08 tried to do it, but It didn't seem to have much impact. Ideally, there should be a stat for form which actively dictates who you pick, rather than base stats. I remember in rugby challenge 1 with Wasps, always picking Joe Worsely at 6 because he had insanely high stats - no need to pick anyone else.

I'm definitely hoping that with this game or future ***les, stats will become increasingly important to gameplay and strategy.

I should have to think about how I'm going to get over the gain-line for example, and using, say Billy Vunipola to take the ball up should really pay dividends, whilst taking it into contact with Ben Youngs should not really get you anywhere at all. I know that developers already try to do this, but I feel that because rugby depends on these small differences, stats should be weighted so that differences matter and higher stats are rewarded in all areas of the game.

The other thing I'm keen to see successfully implemented again is a form system. I think rugby 08 tried to do it, but It didn't seem to have much impact. Ideally, there should be a stat for form which actively dictates who you pick, rather than base stats. I remember in rugby challenge 1 with Wasps, always picking Joe Worsely at 6 because he had insanely high stats - no need to pick anyone else.

Yes yes yes player form should effect the overall stats of a player. So a lower ranked player on higher form should play better than a higher rated player on low form!!!

Aslo listen up Sidhe....can you please let the opposition AI change their team before a match to ahve form players play???? IT's horrible playing a multi season carrier mode where the opposition is the same 15 year in year out. No major injuries, no changes due to form no younger players getting better, no older players taking longer to recover.

We need depth!!!!!!!!

I have 1 simple question. Does the game have an editor as well? That would make up for the lack of licenses (if that's the case).

I'd wager that, even though Sidhe won't know at this time whether they will be given funding to developp subsequent ***les, they'd still have in place a multi-year plan for what they would do for each hypothetical ***le down the line, so they know what they can realistically implement and when. So even if we don't see these features right away, I'd hope they'd be on the radar somewhere.

Poor Sidhe staff having to run their forum and answer all our questions.
Looking forward to this one, all the best on the release. Glad to see you are continuing on with this series, we all saw it had plenty of potential.

Maybe Sidhe can consider crowd-funding for future ***les. I think there's enough interest to warrant a crowd-funding initiative globally.

I've seen quite a few albums go on kickstarter with good success.
Not sure if they'd want to go that route. I'll contribute by buying RCII

Latest posts