• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RO'G to Retire

It could also be argued that a man of less ego than Winston Churchill might have been a better Prime Minister during World War 2. There wasn't a suitable candidate. Flaws do not stop a man from becoming a legend, if circumstance calls.

Churchill's speeches are some of the best oratory I've heard and had a good impact on the morale and attitude of the nation. He was a good man for WW2 and was legendary because of it despite flaws as a peace time priminister. No comparison really.

Although I see your point though. I guess sometimes legend is the impact you had on people not necessarily the absolute greatest. There have been/will be many more better Irish fly halves, but not so many who will have so much impact on people's memories. Having said that though he's still overrated.

How? he's a bit arrogant, but your exaggerating a fair but.

A bit?

Last edited:
Churchill's speeches are some of the best oratory I've heard and had a good impact on the morale and attitude of the nation. He was a good man for WW2 and was legendary because of it despite flaws as a peace time priminister. No comparison really.

Well both of them were/are assholes, were only in the job because nobody else was good enough for it and they were both quite successful so....... :p

Just regards ROG been arrogant ****. Sexton is just as bad apparently (on pitch and around camps) but isn't this a key part of most to 10's. Even Carter is supposedly the same. I know he's a gent away from rugby but in camps and on pitch.

Although I see your point though. I guess sometimes legend is the impact you had on people not necessarily the absolute greatest. There have been/will be many more better Irish fly halves, but not so many who will have so much impact on people's memories. Having said that though he's still overrated.

A bit?
Yeah a bit, ive heard he's a very arrogant man on the pitch, will say anything to wind people up, and isnt the friendliest off the pitch either, he can be a bit of a knob to people who ask for autographs and whatnot. Hardly a sack of **** though, its not as if he's headbutting people on the street or spitting in players faces is he? there's far worse sportsmen about ill tell you that much

I find it strange how its Welsh fans more often than not who have a huge dislike for ROG, that 09 dropgoal must have really got under a lot of people's skins eh?:p

Last edited:
Also cherrypicking done by ROG fans who remember the drop goals, but forget the overall play in the 80 minute performance.

Ronan , was the drive behind Munster Rugby for many years... Forwards working well off good territorial kicking , precise goal kicking and adequate passing etc.. that's the way they played and O'Gara suited that game, if you want to see an outhalf chuck it wide or involve himself in carrying more..Don't bother watching Munster they had their system and it worked and he has two Heineken cup medals to show for it. And to disagree that he was the tic to munsters toc in their Heyday would be ignorant

When has he "single handedly dragged Ireland to the right side of the scoreboard" as an individual? His drop goals were great as was an odd cross kick but it was the team who covered for ROG in defence and created points that were the ones who dragged Ireland to wins. Only time ROG ever made a telling contribution to the right side of the scoreboard in his career that was singled handed and not a drop goal was thanks to a dodgy referee chat in 2004.

Well South africa from memory then you have... Two weeks later, on 27 November, O'Gara kicked a last-minute drop goal to give Ireland a 21–19 victory over Argentina.
On 10 March 2007, O'Gara once again scored all of Ireland's points to win the Triple crown in Murrayfield.
Then you have On 14 March 2009, O'Gara overtook Jonny Wilkinson to become the top Six Nations point scorer ever

Including numerous other feats I can't be ****ed to write down.

Andy Goode has as many domestic medals as ROG yet I don't see people going round calling them legends and Ireland's greatest .
You're right...not many people would call Andy Goode Ireland's greatest. He being English

And yes In my opinion O'Gara's metronomic kicking at goal when he was needed and his ability to keep a pack going forward was key to Munster and Ireland's relative success over the last decade. And that's coming from someone who harbours an active dislike towards him.

Wilko, by all accounts an absolute gent, dished out a hell of a lot of lip in the earlier parts of his career by his own admission. Rugby is a game for gentlemen, but not gentle men, and on the pitch the demons come out. That's the way of it. Lot of praise for the effort he took to pep up Ulster players on the crap end of Kidney's decisions at the end.

As for the Churchill comparison - not the best comparison no, ego's possibly the wrong word, but any reading of WW2 history from the generals' perspective shows he could be an incredibly difficult man to get on with and these things probably hampered strategy. But that's besides the point; I believe everyone got the point I was trying to make.

I might have to write a blog piece on overdue praise to 10s though, it's weeing me off...

Doesn't the same old O'Gara **** come up every season?
Some love him, some hate him.
There is only one standoff worth mentioning, the mighty Sweendog!

I know most of this thread has been about ROG on the pitch. But I just want to show how much of a knob he is off it.

After the 2009 Lions series which he single handedly lost in the second test.

He still piped up this. Saying he would do the same thing tomorrow. Thinks that a pointless up and under was "going for the win". He then implies that he was a better option than Jones and that Jones was selected thanks to being a favourite of the coaches, after a match where Jones scored 20 odd points and ROG just ruined it. He really ought to have kept his mouth shut after his own performance.

He rounds off this post-Lions interview saying "I didn't have much to do with it". Which again seems a strange thing to say considering that he did actually a lot to do with the series unfortunately.

"That (decision) doesn't cost me a second thought because I'd do the exact same tomorrow,"
"People ask me would you not kick it out but it never entered my head to kick the ball out."
"I couldn't see what a draw would do for anyone."

"The way I look at it you want the win. I know a draw is better than a defeat," he explains.

"But it didn’t enter my head (to go for touch).
"I was sitting in the meeting fully expecting to be selected. I thought I was in poll position. When it was announced it was a big blow," he says.
"I did expect to come on at half-time in the first Test but that didn't happen. With 15 minutes to go it didn't happen.
"I was saying I'm seeing this game differently from everybody else.
"Maybe this management had their minds made up that they wanted Stephen. "
"I just got back to my room and thought I don't think I'm in with a shout here."

"Obviously now people will remember my Lions (Tour) for the incidents in the second Test."
"I thought it was a great opportunity to win a Test series," he says.
"It was a massive opportunity in both our careers and I felt we left the Test series behind.
"I find that hard to take and the fact that I didn’t have much to do with it."

Then later in 2013 he again went about saying after the match he should have played ahead of Paddy. Saying how he would have "done the job". Which again considering ROG's own contribution to that match was to make a comedy error leading to Scotland to score the winning penalty is a bit of a silly thing to say in the circumstances. If he could have "done the job" why didn't he when he was on the pitch?

"For the Scottish game I was the better option but that would change in the summer time with the new boys being promoted and that’s what I would have backed as well.
“But for a crucial away game, I thought I would have done the job against Scotland, and then at least you can walk off into the sunshine happy but that’s the way it goes.

Also add to that he talked similar about Sexton too which led to headlines like this. (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-250118012.html) It seems that ROG's ego does indeed think he is a legend and the greatest fly half even after his worst matches.

diapo90c196bbf3cb2d779da998b415fea749.gif

Also there was that letter he sent to the Irish Times attacking a journalist who criticised his defence in 2010 saying "Kate Moss would be more likely to tackle Bastareaud" (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/o...-programmed-to-seek-out-failure-28519614.html).

A comment that "falls well short of journalistic standards" according to ROG after the journalist just said he was a poor defender. (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...s-back-at-columnist-kevin-myers-28522403.html). He also has made comments attacking some ex players opinions as invalid based on him having more caps. And blasted Geordan Murphy for missing a tackle vs France 2007, in spite of his own great tackling efforts down the years.

I would question the knowledge of those like this journalist who stroke ROG's ego than one who merely questions his defence in comparison to Sexton as the poor journalist.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ogara-stakes-lions-claim-with-classy-display-28955246.html
http://www.vavel.com/en/rugby/218401-ronan-o-gara-the-greatest-10-ever.html

In short the man has a very high appreciation of himself.

Yeah a bit, ive heard he's a very arrogant man on the pitch, will say anything to wind people up, and isnt the friendliest off the pitch either, he can be a bit of a knob to people who ask for autographs and whatnot. Hardly a sack of **** though, its not as if he's headbutting people on the street or spitting in players faces is he? there's far worse sportsmen about ill tell you that much

His sledging has backfired on him though before. This is what he got for making fun of Sexton missing a drop goal. Contepomi equally rubbed in Argentina's win in 2007 into him.

diapo3c88c51c16d305ebbf587bd60ac35fb2.gif

Also regarding foul play, he is more the type to kick you and run away (see Sean Cox). Also accusations of eye gouging before. http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-as-ogara-accused-of-eyegouging-26548034.html

I find it strange how its Welsh fans more often than not who have a huge dislike for ROG, that 09 dropgoal must have really got under a lot of people's skins eh?:p

Costing the Lions tour was more to do with it.

Ronan , was the drive behind Munster Rugby for many years... Forwards working well off good territorial kicking , precise goal kicking and adequate passing etc.. that's the way they played and O'Gara suited that game, if you want to see an outhalf chuck it wide or involve himself in carrying more..Don't bother watching Munster they had their system and it worked and he has two Heineken cup medals to show for it. And to disagree that he was the tic to munsters toc in their Heyday would be ignorant

Well South africa from memory then you have... Two weeks later, on 27 November, O'Gara kicked a last-minute drop goal to give Ireland a 21â€"19 victory over Argentina.
On 10 March 2007, O'Gara once again scored all of Ireland's points to win the Triple crown in Murrayfield.
Then you have On 14 March 2009, O'Gara overtook Jonny Wilkinson to become the top Six Nations point scorer ever

Including numerous other feats I can't be ****ed to write down.

You're right...not many people would call Andy Goode Ireland's greatest. He being English

And yes In my opinion O'Gara's metronomic kicking at goal when he was needed and his ability to keep a pack going forward was key to Munster and Ireland's relative success over the last decade. And that's coming from someone who harbours an active dislike towards him.

LN7, that 2004 Argentina game was a mixed one for ROG, look at the 79 other minutes. Contepomi outplayed him. Also by ROG was a twat after the match as well bickering with Ledesma.

We've been through the "he scored the points so he must be king" argument.

Also in my opinion, if Sexton was Ireland's fly half in the mid 2000's Ireland would have been far better getting much more out of BOD and the wingers. The Irish national team seem far too content at averageness and just winning Triple Crown in my opinion, they should have disappointed missing out on Grand Slams and Championships in those years such as 2007 when they were elated about winning the Triple Crown.

Doesn't the same old O'Gara **** come up every season?
Some love him, some hate him.
There is only one standoff worth mentioning, the mighty Sweendog!

Duck don't listen to Conor George no one else does.

After the first triple crown people weren't particualary content with and a lot of people are annoyed we didn't win more in that period and it wasn't that the team wasn't content with it. Shane Horgan noticed the WC 2007 itinerary only went up to the quarter final and immeidiately asked why it wasn't up to the final. The core group at least's attitude going in was that they were in it to win it. Farcical maybe in hindsight but they were well positioned before the warm ups and the attitude was definitely not one of contentment with a few triple crowns. I agree with a lot of your criticism but something he definitely had for ala Roy Keane was that winners mindset.

Duck I stopped listening to you regards ROG but when you bring Conor George (even though he's for ROG) in to this I automatically imagine you like this.

After the first triple crown people weren't particualary content with and a lot of people are annoyed we didn't win more in that period and it wasn't that the team wasn't content with it. Shane Horgan noticed the WC 2007 itinerary only went up to the quarter final and immeidiately asked why it wasn't up to the final. The core group at least's attitude going in was that they were in it to win it. Farcical maybe in hindsight but they were well positioned before the warm ups and the attitude was definitely not one of contentment with a few triple crowns. I agree with a lot of your criticism but something he definitely had for ala Roy Keane was that winners mindset.

That comment was directed at the Irish public not players. And it certainly seemed here in the UK that the Irish seemed too happy in Triple Crowns in the O'Sullivan era when they really had the team to achieve more like what Wales are doing now in the 6 Nations.

The players who the Irish media proclaimed as "the golden generation" and heralded them greats of Irish rugby yet considering that 1 Grand Slam isn't in my opinion the return of a special team. Yet the Irish seem too satisfied with just 1 Grand Slam some Triple Crowns and epic World Cup failures for their "Golden Generation" and call them Irish legends despite having a team that could have achieved more.

That comment was directed at the Irish public not players. And it certainly seemed here in the UK that the Irish seemed too happy in Triple Crowns in the O'Sullivan era when they really had the team to achieve more like what Wales are doing now in the 6 Nations.

The players who the Irish media proclaimed as "the golden generation" and heralded them greats of Irish rugby yet considering that 1 Grand Slam isn't in my opinion the return of a special team. Yet the Irish seem too satisfied with just 1 Grand Slam some Triple Crowns and epic World Cup failures for their "Golden Generation" and call them Irish legends despite having a team that could have achieved more.
Nail on head.

Do you know when the IRFU finally removed all reference of the 2009 Grand Slam from the front page of irishrugby.ie? This year. Four different tournaments took place yet they were still crowing over a one off success.

Eddie O'Sullivan got far too easy a ride for delivering meaningless triple crowns (why should you get a trophy for beating 60% of the teams in the competition?) and no championships despite having a group of players who should have won a couple of 6 Nations ***les.

We have to set our sights higher. A stated aim of the IRFU is to make a World Cup semi final. ******** to that. Do you think New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France or now Wales will be content with a last four spot? Show some bloody ambition. I want a World Cup final spot in 2015. I want at least two 6 Nations ***les before the end of this decade. I want Leinster to be the first team to win 5 European crowns and back it up by being the first team with five Pro 12 successes. Perhaps that's unrealistic but if you set low level goals, you'll always be doomed to mediocrity.

Sorry its just that when my mate was about eight he was staying in the same hotel as the Ireland team. He asked ROG to sign his cap. ROG went around and got every member of the team to sign it for him.

Nail on head.

Do you know when the IRFU finally removed all reference of the 2009 Grand Slam from the front page of irishrugby.ie? This year. Four different tournaments took place yet they were still crowing over a one off success.

Eddie O'Sullivan got far too easy a ride for delivering meaningless triple crowns (why should you get a trophy for beating 60% of the teams in the competition?) and no championships despite having a group of players who should have won a couple of 6 Nations ***les.

We have to set our sights higher. A stated aim of the IRFU is to make a World Cup semi final. ******** to that. Do you think New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France or now Wales will be content with a last four spot? Show some bloody ambition. I want a World Cup final spot in 2015. I want at least two 6 Nations ***les before the end of this decade. I want Leinster to be the first team to win 5 European crowns and back it up by being the first team with five Pro 12 successes. Perhaps that's unrealistic but if you set low level goals, you'll always be doomed to mediocrity.
Well put Snoop.
But facts are top table in IRFU still believe in some sectors we are a small nation punching above our weight. This is reflected even by the way the coaches contracts are done. We are probably the worst nation in terms of we don't go to any cycle and it just mayhem. Remember EOS getting big contract before RWC in 2007, I'm sure something similar was with Deccie too

Sorry its just that when my mate was about eight he was staying in the same hotel as the Ireland team. He asked ROG to sign his cap. ROG went around and got every member of the team to sign it for him.

ROG is arrogant on pitch and worst in a camp but outside of that (knowing him personally) I'd best describe him as a touch of split personality. He can be a gent and does kind gestures like that but other days he can be a diva. But again I think that is part of reason he was player he was

Jeepers oh I mean Lo Cicero retires with 100 caps and no major trophies and everyone cries but ROG a man that has given everything to munster and ireland retires with 130 caps 3 lions tours 2 ERC cups and a few celtic leagues trophies and people are comparing him to other people moaning and ****. Its like if I went on Lo Ciceros retirement thingy and insulted him as a person and said he was not as good as cian healy.
Lo Ciceros not the only one to shed a tear for his country or club
RonanOGaraTears_large.jpg

Jeepers oh I mean Lo Cicero retires with 100 caps and no major trophies and everyone cries but ROG a man that has given everything to munster and ireland retires with 130 caps 3 lions tours 2 ERC cups and a few celtic leagues trophies and people are comparing him to other people moaning and ****. Its like if I went on Lo Ciceros retirement thingy and insulted him as a person and said he was not as good as cian healy.
View attachment 2258
He gave everything left in to last 2 months and nearly got it done in Montpellier. And I'd add I do strongly believe if we beat Clermont that day we would've won HEC.
But fair play and irelandfan123 good post but while I mean no disrespect to Lo Cicero he's not Irish so he's no a top of my thoughts.
But when players like BOD or Best go it will pull a heart string because they've given all to the cause and even though they're not from my province I'll be proud on an Irish front.

View attachment 2258

This post completely misses the point.

Nobody is denying or debating ROG gave everything for club and country, of course he did. Just debating how good he was and that he was largely overrated in comparison to other fly halves thanks to his fortune of being at the right place at the right time and getting more on the list than others.

Also Lo Cicero is by all accounts not a twat unlike ROG and isn't overrated either.

He gave everything left in to last 2 months and nearly got it done in Montpellier. And I'd add I do strongly believe if we beat Clermont that day we would've won HEC.
But fair play and irelandfan123 good post but while I mean no disrespect to Lo Cicero he's not Irish so he's no a top of my thoughts.
But when players like BOD or Best go it will pull a heart string because they've given all to the cause and even though they're not from my province I'll be proud on an Irish front.

When you "he nearly got it done", you do realise that it was thanks to the brave committed defence that Munster put up to withstand a Clermont battering who were dominant for large stretches of the match that prevented it from being a comprehensive Clermont win. And that was a defensive effort that ROG had minimal impact on compared to others.

Latest posts