• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership 2007 - 2008 thread

Nah think weve proved these last couple of decades we dont need to do that. And look at who the teams have bought in the big transfers. Man Utd have bought 3 players this seasons under 23 who will be in a squad rotation whereas Chelsea spend them on people in their late 20's and 30's who either take half a year to find form, are discontent or useless. Basically Chelsea are buying for the now whereas Sir Alex is building another young team to carry on his legacy.

Not even Torres can save Liverpool, he will not progress there like he would of at somewhere like Old Trafford. He will find the English game to too physical and anyone who has watched him flail about in la liga will know this. [/b]

Nice jealous pop there. I know that Slur Alex was a big fan of Torres and would loved to have signed him.

I challenge you to prove your theory he will not adapt to the Premiership. He did not flail around in La Liga, he was always one of the more adept men at holding onto the ball and shrugging people off. I have also seen enough evidence of this in pre-season games.

<div class='quotemain'>Not even Torres can save Liverpool, he will not progress there like he would of at somewhere like Old Trafford. He will find the English game to too physical and anyone who has watched him flail about in la liga will know this. [/b]

Nice jealous pop there. I know that Slur Alex was a big fan of Torres and would loved to have signed him.

I challenge you to prove your theory he will not adapt to the Premiership. He did not flail around in La Liga, he was always one of the more adept men at holding onto the ball and shrugging people off. I have also seen enough evidence of this in pre-season games.
[/b][/quote]

I'm a Spurs fan but I have to say Torres well be a great signing. He has all the attributes to well in the Premier League. Fast, Strong, good in the air, holds the ball up well.

Kinda jealous as i did fancy him for United but he will still flail about just like Garcia did until he adapts.

There arent very many big bruiser defenders in La Liga were as they are the norm in Britain hence why i think for a while he will fall about alot. Its a much more physical and less flamboyant game in the Premiership.

I think its clear if United had really wanted him they could of signed him which is bizarre as they are now after a Rooney clone.

I'm a Spurs fan but I have to say Torres well be a great signing. He has all the attributes to well in the Premier League. Fast, Strong, good in the air, holds the ball up well.[/b]

You of all people should know that having the right attributes in a different league means he can carry them over to the Premiership, remember Sergei Rebrov? What about Mario Jardel he has one of the most prolific scoring ratio's ever but couldnt cut it at Bolton. Ofcourse theres also Shevy as a blinding example of someone failing to step up. Jardel and Shevy may have been old when they moved to England but they were still scoring goals prior to that.

There arent very many big bruiser defenders in La Liga were as they are the norm in Britain hence why i think for a while he will fall about alot.[/b]

That's a bold statement. Gabi Milito, Carles Puyol, Roberto Ayala. All good defenders but hatchet merchants into the bargain. I think it's midfield where people struggle, not in defence or up front.

I dont class them as bruisers. They play with more finesse. Terry, Vidic, Toure etc are big battling defenders.

Chelsea will have the trophy back in the cabinet this time next year [/b]

Can't see it myself, looks like its gonna be a reds year, either Man U or Liverpool in my opinion.

I dont class them as bruisers. They play with more finesse. Terry, Vidic, Toure etc are big battling defenders. [/b]

Watch Milito next time you can - he is a good defender but he will knock the shite out of anything if he needs to.

This season is probably gonna be the most competitive one for a long time. United looking good and improved, Chelsea improved the areas they needed to, Arsenal youngsters a year older, Tottenham looking pretty good and Liverpool have probably the best squad they have had for quite a while, so its gonna be an interesting season

this year is going to be really interesting... Man Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool are the top tier but with all the money coming into the premiership sides like Man City who are building a good squad under sven could muscle into the ***le calculations.

Bojinov, he say Man City for UEFA Cup place. :cheers:

Or possibly a relegation battle.

I think the time has come - Liverpool must win that Championship! [/b]

The only way Liverpool will contend for the ***le is if Benitez cuts out this team rotation nonsense.

My moneys on Man U, they can destroy teams alot easier then chelsea can, chelsea play so negatively and it loses more games in the long run. With drogba gone for a month or so as well, can't see pizarro being a long term option for chelsea

Manchester United enters this season as the team to beat. The additions of Hargreaves and Tevez, if they are both up to form and can maintain, will help in diversifying the attack and midfield. I'm still a little concerned about the Red Devils' back but after watching the Comm Shield and Van Der Sar's treble of saves, I feel a little better about their goal situation.

After ManU, I'd say Chelsea but only if they can keep pace during January where they lose a number of their key players to the African Nations' Cup tournament. If Sheva or Wright-Phillips doesn't carry the strike load at that point, I see them dropping as low as fourth. Liverpool has to make a true challenge for the Prem but that would come at the expense of pushing lesser squads out for Champions' League, Carling, and the FA Cup tournies...

Manchester City could be a real surprise if Sven-Goran Eriksson can work a little of his club magic during the course of the season. I'm rooting (quietly) for Sunderland and Roy Keane to avoid the drop at the very least and finish in the top-10 at the very best. The same goes for Fulham...

I think Wigan, Derby, Birmingham, and West Ham will be struggling against the drop all season...

Given the signings that West Ham have made I think there's more chance of them pushing for a European spot rather than being involved in a relegation battle, Curbishly is an infinitely bettter manager than Pardew and has made some cracking signings.

Wigan and Derby will definitely struggle to avoid the drop and the final spot will probably be between Bolton and Middlesbrough.