• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NHL Thread

I did wonder if it would be seen as such. It's rare I've seen a leg go that high, but it does happen when you lose balance etc. We'll have to see how this goes I guess. šŸ˜¬

I hadn't watched the video til today. I thought it was wild he was being arrested but I think they need to at least ask why he put his leg there. I don't think he meant to cut the dude but he certainly meant to kick him.
Seems to have split the ex-pros/pundits, from what I've seen, too - half saying he's clearly trying to kick (though likely in the chest) and half saying there's absolutely nothing in it at all

Be interesting to see what the courts make of it - can't think of anything similar to this happening in other sports, where it's partly due to interpretation of what's a sporting accident and what's intentional foul play leading to catastrophic circumstances
Maybe back of the head punches in boxing? Don't think anything ever happened to Terrel Williams, who dealt severe brain damage to Prichard Colon

Seems to have split the ex-pros/pundits, from what I've seen, too - half saying he's clearly trying to kick (though likely in the chest) and half saying there's absolutely nothing in it at all

Be interesting to see what the courts make of it - can't think of anything similar to this happening in other sports, where it's partly due to interpretation of what's a sporting accident and what's intentional foul play leading to catastrophic circumstances
Maybe back of the head punches in boxing? Don't think anything ever happened to Terrel Williams, who dealt severe brain damage to Prichard Colon
Yeah, tough one to prove. It comes down to recklessness and intent. Both pretty much reliant on the 'players' reason for doing what he did.

Wasn't there a rugby match where a player was found guilty of assault after a fight. If i recall the basis was it being 'far outside the rules, standards of the game' and not acceptable as part of rugby. I might have this wrong.

Yeah unless he admits it was a kick instead of losing his balance going into the check there will be no case. It just isn't something that happens though raising your leg that high. But yeah I'm with olyy no other sport has a foul play that can be so accidentally catastrophic that I'm aware of.

Yeah, tough one to prove. It comes down to recklessness and intent. Both pretty much reliant on the 'players' reason for doing what he did.

Wasn't there a rugby match where a player was found guilty of assault after a fight. If i recall the basis was it being 'far outside the rules, standards of the game' and not acceptable as part of rugby. I might have this wrong.

The Arizona Coyotes are moving to Salt Lake City, Utah. They were bought by Ryan Smith, the same guy who owns the Utah Jazz of the NBA.

Stupidly, it sounds like the NHL has already agreed to give a new AZ based franchise to the last owner once they get a new arena. The issue isn't just an arena, its a dedicated fan base to fill those seats which Pheonix has never had. The league had been bailing them out financially for years. The only dumber idea would be to agree to yet another franchise in Atlanta.

Stupidly, it sounds like the NHL has already agreed to give a new AZ based franchise to the last owner once they get a new arena. The issue isn't just an arena, its a dedicated fan base to fill those seats which Pheonix has never had. The league had been bailing them out financially for years. The only dumber idea would be to agree to yet another franchise in Atlanta.
My understanding was the old owner couldn't promise the Coyotes would have a stadium witin the next 5 years. One of the reasons Bettman and co were happy to let the franchise move. Twisting the last owners arm over the stadium issue.

That is correct however the stupid part is that Bettman has already promised him a new franchise if he can get a new arena built. Bettman is so insistent on having US based franchises in locations with limited fan bases like Arizona and Miami although they are having the same issue in Winnipeg. The reason that the Jets originally moved was poor attendance and therefore poor revenue but the NHL put a franchise back there. They have already promised it in AZ and seem to be on the brink of doing it for a third time in ATL which seems to be a bowing to the NHLs diversity goals because the ATL group is headed up by Anson Carter. It has failed two other times, why not give a franchise back to Quebec? They never had a fan base issue, it was an issue with having an arena to play in and a disagreement in funding it between public/private funds. Both Georgia and Arizona have relatively successful AHL/ECHL franchises but that is because both of those leagues get funding assistance from the NHL parent teams and need a smaller fan base and revenue stream to function.

Miami, Tampa, and San Jose work cause they have good owners who made good front office hires. Can't just own a team like you can in hockey hotbeds.

Atlanta 2x, Winnipeg, phoenix, and early Miami thought you could make money by just being a big 4 sports team in North America. Unless you are the nfl it doesn't work that way, you have to be competent.

Miami has had a nice fan base over the past few years but San Jose has had an average attendance upwards of 4,000 less a game over the past two seasons.. I know that a team's performance can impact these numbers but if you look at teams in real hockey hot beds like Montreal, Chicago and Detroit, even poor on ice performance hasn't hurt their attendance, they are all towards the top.

I completely agree with you about the perception of just being a big 4 team and making money

Miami has had a nice fan base over the past few years but San Jose has had an average attendance upwards of 4,000 less a game over the past two seasons.. I know that a team's performance can impact these numbers but if you look at teams in real hockey hot beds like Montreal, Chicago and Detroit, even poor on ice performance hasn't hurt their attendance, they are all towards the top.

I completely agree with you about the perception of just being a big 4 team and making money
I'm a San Jose Sharks fan since their inception and they haven't made the playoffs since the 2018/2019 season. If the product isn't any good I understand why attendance is down, those tickets are expensive. I don't live in San Jose anymore, but I still follow them online and on TV. They need to fire the front office and the coaching staff. Of the 32 NHL teams they were dead last with only 19 wins this season and second to last the previous season. It's hard to watch when you're getting blown out most nights. Montreal, Chicago and Detroit (along with Boston, Toronto and the New York Rangers) are all original 6 teams. Their fanbase has been passed down from one generation to another. Some fans compare it to a religion, they follow them because their Father did and Grandfather before that, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts