• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next All Black coach?

Scott Robertson does not have the experience for the job. Super Rugby has proved to be a weaker competition in the last 4 years. In the past our coaches generally had to earn their stripes in an international gig before being deemed fit for the job. Even john Hart was an assistant during the 87 RWC victory for the AB's. The argument for Scott coming in is that he has 4 years to gain that experience before the next RWC and he knows the players.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...u2VJU-UqMjI-16Cj-_rlUe22c51jJAg03YtJ-fszGulZA
Dave Rennie's comments about the All Black's call coming too late sounds like the NZRU is disorganized. Also they asked 26 applicants to apply?

Shortlists should've been cut down to 5 main candidates ages ago. The lack of disorganization here is frightening.

From this evidence it looks like the NZRU seemed set and complacent going with Foster after Hansen retired, but after the shitshow vs England it appears the NZRU are in panic stations realizing Foster ain't up to it.

Steve Tew in his retirement has left things disorganized as well.

Yeah, I don't know about this whole 26 individuals told to apply... I mean, surely we had a plan, obviously not. Personally, I would've liked Schmidt, but even he ultimately seemed to run out of ideas and didn't know how to get Ireland to emulate their form from the previous year. But hey... Hansen picked Sonny-Bill Williams, right?

Whereas I always thought Blackadder was an atrocious coach. He was the coach all that time after 2008 before Robertson was in charge. To not win most years, with that team, was poor coaching. And the teams that won during that time had good coaching - cheika, Rennie, brown, Boyd

Anyway, I'm not saying Robertson is a bad coach, I'm saying there is insufficient evidence to suggest he is a great one. And it's unprecedented to hire an all blacks coach based on insufficient evidence. Again, if he has experienced assistants, that would be a different story, as he clearly is a good motivator

I cannot see them not having him backed by very experienced support. I would think that they want a very clean next 4 years, very structured, quite set in stone with the team they're going to put forward. Robertson definitely has an eye for talent and seems to know what he's got, shown by winning Super Rugby and creating household names.

We have the NZ Women's Netball team coach, Noeline Taurua as part of the selection panel for the new coach.

Nothing against her, but what relevance she has with Rugby Union is anyone's guess, let alone being a major contributor to who the next All Blacks coach is.

Last edited:
We have the NZ Women's Netball team coach, Noeline Taurua as part of the selection panel for the new coach.

Nothing against her, but what relevance she has with Rugby Union is anyone's guess, let alone being a major contributor to who the next All Blacks coach is.
An independent panel member in interviews is standard practice in just about every industry these days.

its a good idea to have someone a bit independent, still elite sport and she might have something innovative to rugby she is looking for

They need to just hire Robertson at this stage. He's won everything at every level, compared to Foster who didn't win anything as a head coach. No brainer decision. Leave Foster in as an assistant for the next year or two if we need some continuity, but it's clear we need a fresh voice at the top.

Robertson with Schmidt as an assistant would be great.

I just can't see them getting rid of Hansen's assistants completely. Maybe not appoint either of them as head coach, but keep them as assistant's if they want to. Why would they want to have a fresh group when the AB's record for the past 10 or so years have been the most consistent and successful of all the team, regardless of the coach.

Schmidt supposedly said he was committed to taking the break he promised his family so won't be coaching til June or July. So....pretty likely he will be an assistant of some kind. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a plan for foster to bring in gatland after the lions too.

cooper has an association with foster too, I believe.

so my guess is foster, McLeod and cooper, to be joined by Schmidt in June, then gatland after the lions

Last edited:
Both Schmidt and Gatland are just too big of a coaches to work as anybody's assistants at this stage in their career.

its a good idea to have someone a bit independent, still elite sport and she might have something innovative to rugby she is looking for

Is there any real basis to this though? I'm aware it's common practice now, but it just seems new age and lacking in evidence it actually has benefits to it.

Is there any real basis to this though? I'm aware it's common practice now, but it just seems new age and lacking in evidence it actually has benefits to it.
i dont know how to answer that other than "common sense"

having people from outside the "system" just seems like a logical way to get some out of the norm ideas...sticking to the norm is just arrogant..."we're the all blacks...we dont need anyone to tell us about rugby"...lack of a world cup suggests some new ideas might be good

i dont know how to answer that other than "common sense"

having people from outside the "system" just seems like a logical way to get some out of the norm ideas...sticking to the norm is just arrogant..."we're the all blacks...we dont need anyone to tell us about rugby"...lack of a world cup suggests some new ideas might be good

He's right though, there's no actual evidence that diversity has tangible results. Tangent, but you only have to look at successful companies, many of which come from diverse countries (like the US) but then many also come from countries that don't have much diversity at all (Nordics, Japan, China). It 'feels' right as you say, but it's never been proven to actually make a difference I don't think.

im surprised at this if im honest, everywhere ive worked has always been about the next new idea, and largely that's is most easily achieved by bringing in and "outsider"

Its standard engineering design practice to have Red and Green teams, one forwards the concept/reference design and the other stays completely involved until review stages at which point they come in and deliberately try and take an unexpected approach to see if the idea is robust of if the green team has just followed the norm

this is the first time ive heard anyone say there is no evidence diversity helps drive innovation or success, if i said that in the circles i work in id expect it to be compared to "theres no evidence sliced bread makes sandwiches easier"...its self evident

staying the course/norm, shunning new ideas lead to companies like nokia, blackberry and kodak

Perhaps I should've been more clear.

I don't want to undermine the practice when it comes to all forms of employment, but only in the attempts to find the new All Blacks coach. I have no problems with diversity and innovation, more the fact they have employed a Netball coach to hire a Rugby Union coach, especially during such a sensitive time. I'll be honest in saying she doesn't have the credentials to be making such an appointment.

The NZRU looks very Micky Mouse at the moment.

Perhaps I should've been more clear.

I don't want to undermine the practice when it comes to all forms of employment, but only in the attempts to find the new All Blacks coach. I have no problems with diversity and innovation, more the fact they have employed a Netball coach to HELP hire a Rugby Union coach, especially during such a sensitive time. I'll be honest in saying she doesn't have the credentials to be making such an appointment.

The NZRU looks very Micky Mouse at the moment.

fixed it for you,

i think its a good idea and shows a professional approach, Waimarama Taumaunu is an elite sport coach and they are signalling they realise that a national sport coach is a job with special skills and knowing rugby is not all thats needed, bringing together players from all around the country on short time frames to put together a winning team is different to a coach that has the same team week in week out

Netball is a low profile sport that is largely semi-professional and only a handful of competitive countries. Usually it's a 2/3 horse race for the World Cup, I'm just failing to see what crucial insight she could possess to help the recruiting process.

Netball is a low profile sport that is largely semi-professional and only a handful of competitive countries. Usually it's a 2/3 horse race for the World Cup, I'm just failing to see what crucial insight she could possess to help the recruiting process.
"i don't know if you've heard...but we're kind of a big deal".....and that's the arrogance i'm sure they are trying to avoid...I say again, the lack of a world cup suggests there something the current establishment is missing and good on them trying to bring in a new voice

you do realise she is part of a panel to pick the coach...not the actual coach, do you have the same argument when they bring in sport when the bring in sports physiologists or experts from other sports for special training?...."but they're not rugby!!!"

ever heard of Mick Byrne?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/be4eff451d210d39818171ef0e3c477b

"i don't know if you've heard...but we're kind of a big deal".....and that's the arrogance i'm sure they are trying to avoid...I say again, the lack of a world cup suggests there something the current establishment is missing and good on them trying to bring in a new voice

you do realise she is part of a panel to pick the coach...not the actual coach, do you have the same argument when they bring in sport when the bring in sports physiologists or experts from other sports for special training?...."but they're not rugby!!!"

ever heard of Mick Byrne?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/be4eff451d210d39818171ef0e3c477b

I agree with innovative ways to enhance the team.

But I don't agree with unqualified people as a selector for the next coach.

I agree with innovative ways to enhance the team.

But I don't agree with unqualified people as a selector for the next coach.
maybe if you elaborated on the qualification criteria?

Latest posts