• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs England 2nd Test (13/07/24)

England scrum going backwards but offset by the NZ lineout going AWOL.

Some moments for both sides but NZ look super dangerous inside our half- delighted with a one point lead as an England fan, in years gone by we could be 21+ down the way some of that has gone but responded very well.

May seem a little harsh this one but I can't help but notice that lack of tactical speed/incision with Steward at 15.

Low grubber kicks that turn him may give us big issues second half. McKenzie seems to have his eye on a couple of skiddy kicks already.

England scrum going backwards but offset by the NZ lineout going AWOL.

Some moments for both sides but NZ look super dangerous inside our half- delighted with a one point lead as an England fan, in years gone by we could be 21+ down the way some of that has gone but responded very well.

May seem a little harsh this one but I can't help but notice that lack of tactical speed/incision with Steward at 15.

Low grubber kicks that turn him may give us big issues second half. McKenzie seems to have his eye on a couple of skiddy kicks already.
Harsh. We've not had much attacking ball going out to the backs which has nothing to do with Steward.

Honestly why not just keep kicking to Telea with Freeman and Steward? Seems like such a easy tactical call now
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Borthwick realising the opposition winger is poor in the air and their lineout is a liability so kicking is actually the smart option

Steward drinking from a poisoned chalice now.
Anything but a win regardless how close the loss and everyone will be saying we would've won with Furbank despite it also being extremely unlikely
This is nail on the head - midfield, and realistically halfbacks, creating very little outside of crossfields but 15 getting the blame

NZ still making too much ground at will, if they become more clinical around the 22, refuse a 3 pointer and score a try or force a card it will make things a lot more difficult.

Bizarre half

First 10 I thought we were going to get blown away. Good effort to pull back

One team can't scrum, the other can't line out.

Baxter won't look quite so baby faced after this.

And I hate McKenzie's goal kicking routine.

NZ vs Fiji in San Diego is so weird, is it to try and raise interest before their RWC?

This is nail on the head - midfield, and realistically halfbacks, creating very little outside of crossfields but 15 getting the blame
Is it what he's doing with the ball that gets criticised? He's been out of position a lot I've thought.

A bit like what Tigs said re Telea, Stewart seems very exposable back there.

Isn't that half the point though, you say half backs, we've seen Furbank step in at first receiver and allow Smith to pull the trigger a bit later before now and that will only improve with time, it's just not in Stewards locker, it's not really something Steward should be criticised for it's just a reality of different players with different strengths.

Is it what he's doing with the ball that gets criticised? He's been out of position a lot I've thought.

A bit like what Tigs said re Telea, Stewart seems very exposable back there.
It's usually what he does with the ball that is the biggest thing.

Furbank is defensively strong but also gets caught out of position but people tend to focus more on what they bring in attacks

Isn't that half the point though, you say half backs, we've seen Furbank step in at first receiver and allow Smith to pull the trigger a bit later before now and that will only improve with time, it's just not in Stewards locker, it's not really something Steward should be criticised for it's just a reality of different players with different strengths.
But who is offering the carrying out wide?

None of the pack or centres are offering the carry, our two tries have been from cross field kicks. Our centres are struggling to catch (TBF looks shocking conditions)

Latest posts