• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Worry - only two no 10's

Geech knows what he's doing he did the same last Lions Tour

Could take loads of players like Woodward did and then the saying goes ... to many cooks spoil the broth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did Jenkins play 15 before the Lions 97 Tour?

No[/b]

just cause it worked once before doesn't mean it'll work again though, now is not the time to start messing around with players positions, we don't want another howler like Wilkinson's selection in the first test 4 years ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They will both have to play in the midweek games, you would leave up to 4 weeks no game time and them chuck them in against the most physical side in the world?[/b]

Jones will have the momentum especially if he puts in 2 strong performances in the opening 2 games which he should be starting considering the Munster contingent will have a HEC final.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 21 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No[/b]

just cause it worked once before doesn't mean it'll work again though, now is not the time to start messing around with players positions, we don't want another howler like Wilkinson's selection in the first test 4 years ago.
[/b][/quote]

Urm no ...

Halfpenny can kick and I reckon he could be a good shout at playing 10 midweek, not saying he will start there but should be given a chance for last 20 - 30 mins of games to see what he can do, if the games are not that close. There is NO HARM in that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 21 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Urm no ...

Halfpenny can kick and I reckon he could be a good shout at playing 10 midweek, not saying he will start there but should be given a chance for last 20 - 30 mins of games to see what he can do, if the games are not that close. There is NO HARM in that.
[/b][/quote]

well no, he's the favourite at the moment to start the test on the wing so why distract him with 30 mins here and there at fly half, that's pointless plus he's probably too small for fly half especially going up against some of the South African forwards.

Exactly, playing 20-30 mins when a game is won would not compare to covering the position in a test match against the Boks. As per An Tarbh' post, why detract from one of the form players on the tour by faffing around trying to play him at a position he hasnt played at for a long time?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hes not a shoe in to start[/b]

not a shoe in but then again neither is Bowe, it's a 50/50 call for the right wing spot and if he keeps up the form of Saturday he may well be a shoe in but as with Jones and O'Gara may lose out of Bowe impresses in the early games due to being there right from the get go.

Do you think a third 10 may be added at a later date (before they leave for SA, I don't mean as a replacement) and this could be designed as an extra incetive for Hook etc.

Having said that it's bonkers and wishful thinking but there you go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Apr 21 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you think a third 10 may be added at a later date (before they leave for SA, I don't mean as a replacement) and this could be designed as an extra incetive for Hook etc.

Having said that it's bonkers and wishful thinking but there you go.[/b]

what's the point of doing that, if you want to keep players sharp and not just wind their season down then surely you'd select them now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 21 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Apr 21 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having said that it's bonkers and wishful thinking but there you go.[/b]

what's the point of doing that, if you want to keep players sharp and not just wind their season down then surely you'd select them now.
[/b][/quote]

You've got to allow me to dream!

But I agree that was a stupid idea, up there with whoever thought Dan Parks was a 10

yeah sure I'm as bad, was hoping it was a bit of spin by having O'Connell flying to London, only to have O'Driscoll introduced via tv as skipper. Oh well!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 21 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Two problems,

First is that the outhalves are going to get the living shite knocked out of them. The rules of rugby dont seem to apply to mid-week games on lions tours so expect both of them to get caught up in more than a few off the ball scuffles (expect the forwards to have a plan in place to protect them ..... probably see a mass melee in the first game to set the tone). They will be lucky to make it through to the test matches with their heads on theiur shoulders.[/b]

I can definitely see that happening alright, eg. DOC v Jones in the first minute of the Grand Slam decider. It is a natural reaction to the Munster players to make sure that if anybody takes a cheap shot at ROG they must know if they or their team does it again there will be consequences (again DOC vs Jones in the Millennium Stadium is the best example), one of the things that must happen for the tour to be successful is for every player to treat every other player like one of their own in the same way.