• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

He's definitely not being serious - there's literally zero reason for a high level boxer to move to MMA, the money differences between top MMA and top Boxing are night and day. He'd practically be working for free. He made £10m boxing some no name.

That said: In a hypothetical world if he did make the move then he could do pretty well, pretty quickly, until he reached top 3ish. Skill level at heavyweight is pretty low so his boxing would see him ease post most guys.
Once you get to the top you start dealing with wrestlers then it all goes to pots - and McGregor is really not the trainer you want in that situation.
Look at Francis Ngannou - got to a ***le shot starching everyone, encounters a collegiate wrestler with solid boxing head movement/footwork who just clowns him for 5 rounds to a lop sided victory.

A Fury payday might see Jon Jones grow the stones to actually move to HW though :p

Well if he does take a fight in the UFC it would have to be a Lesnar (if he comes back) you never know fury is in the WWE now picki g up some grappling skills and maybe him and Lesnar have spoken about a potential massive fight which could make both parties extremely rich.

**** me, Lesnar might actually kill Fury in MMA. It wouldn't even be a little bit close

**** me, Lesnar might actually kill Fury in MMA. It wouldn't even be a little bit close
Thats the problem Fury wouldnt be able to cope with an elite wrestle like a brock lesnar. His only hope would be to catch him with a punch on the way in but as soon as lesnar grabs hold of him its game over! Fury would have a better chance against a stand up guy like stipe who likes to box but stipe would be clever and use his superior grappling to down fury and as soon as fury hits the deck he doesnt have the knowhow to defend himself properly let alone get back to his feet.

Well if he does take a fight in the UFC it would have to be a Lesnar (if he comes back) you never know fury is in the WWE now picki g up some grappling skills and maybe him and Lesnar have spoken about a potential massive fight which could make both parties extremely rich.
They could put him up against that Greg Hardy guy after his suspension.

Lol @ trump getting booed massively at MSG.
I guess he thought the MMA crowds would like him

Bit of a crap stoppage, that's not that bad of a cut.

Realistically they just saved Nate from two more rounds of damage - his chin is insane but he was getting the **** beaten out of him

I'm inclined to agree, but Nate's chances tend to increase as the fight progresses, and given his bjj it wouldnt be a strech to get jm in a odd position and submit him or something.
Anyway, it's a shame.

Any chance McGregor gets his head knocked off tonight? I hope so! I wouldn't know he's fighting if not for the ads on BT to be honest, no one in Ireland is willing to touch him with a 10ft pole.

Any chance McGregor gets his head knocked off tonight? I hope so! I wouldn't know he's fighting if not for the ads on BT to be honest, no one in Ireland is willing to touch him with a 10ft pole.
Very little in my opinion. Cowboy is about as perfect an opponent that McGregor could get, while the match up still being a huge draw. Cowboy is a warrior and has great skills but can't take a punch to the stomach and his stand up is good but 'by the numbers'... the only thing that would stop Mac winning this is Mac himself, which is more than possible to be fair given his almighty ego.

I ain't paying PPV anyway... I'm a huge MMA fan but the fact UFC has recently started going PPV is really ****ing me off.

Yup, first UFC event in a while I'm making zero effort to watch live. Can't even be arsed to stream it, because the card is terrible and not really worth the effort. I'll download and watching it in the morning.

If McGregor is 5% the fighter he was two years ago he'll run through Cowboy inside a round - 1.5rds tops.
Cowboy struggles against:
Southpaws
Pressure
Body shots
Boxing

Conor is literally his nightmare matchup - that's the reason this matchup was made. He doesn't possess the wrestling to take the fight to the floor, and his best weapon (the lead high kick) is so successful because he hides it behind a punch, which they parry and he comes over the top with the kick. McGregor won't parry, he'll just counter the lazy shot and take Cowboys chin off.

I'd love to see Cowboy win, but the chances are incredibly slim.
What makes it worse is Dana White has said if Conor wins this he gets the next LW ***le shot - which is horseshit. You don't get a ***le shot off of beating a guy who has been finished in his previous two fights, in a different weight class. Especially when Justin Gaethje is there and waiting.

What makes it worse is Dana White has said if Conor wins this he gets the next LW ***le shot - which is horseshit. You don't get a ***le shot off of beating a guy who has been finished in his previous two fights, in a different weight class. Especially when Justin Gaethje is there and waiting.

It's a real shame this is the way that the UFC has gone, it's major selling point over boxing (apart from the fundamentals of the sport itself) used to be the sheer meritocracy of MMA. Now I was a big fan of Conor as he rose through the featherweight division (I remember watching his first interview with Ariel on the MMA Hour live and thinking 'this is just what MMA needs :oops:) and eventually captured two ***les but the impact he has had on the sport (pure box office matchmaking, made up ***les, the new owners etc.) has 'near enough' ruined my second favourite sport. Not to mention what an absolute waste of space the guy has turned out to be.

Very little in my opinion. Cowboy is about as perfect an opponent that McGregor could get, while the match up still being a huge draw. Cowboy is a warrior and has great skills but can't take a punch to the stomach and his stand up is good but 'by the numbers'... the only thing that would stop Mac winning this is Mac himself, which is more than possible to be fair given his almighty ego.

I ain't paying PPV anyway... I'm a huge MMA fan but the fact UFC has recently started going PPV is really ****ing me off.

I wouldn't pay for it either.

A massive waste of everyone's time, just as predicted.
I really hope they do McGregor vs Masvidal next, and not **** up the LW division

I was going to post that the so called fight would last 30 seconds, and then I decided not to post it. And now it turns out that it only lasted 40 seconds. I feel bad for those who paid to watch that debaucle. o_O

Aye, doesn't mean I can't hope though.

Like bushy said above, one of the appeals of MMA is that it was based on merit - McGregor changed this for the worse.

Aye, doesn't mean I can't hope though.

Like bushy said above, one of the appeals of MMA is that it was based on merit - McGregor changed this for the worse.
White let him which must be more infuriating for a fan. Everyone knew McGregor was going to lose the run of himself, most thought it would be confined to "allegedly" putting all his money up his nose rather than "allegedly" buying rape victims' silence but conceding everything the guy wanted was always going to harm the sport for the genuine fan.

White let him which must be more infuriating for a fan. Everyone knew McGregor was going to lose the run of himself, most thought it would be confined to "allegedly" putting all his money up his nose rather than "allegedly" buying rape victims' silence but conceding everything the guy wanted was always going to harm the sport for the genuine fan.
Yeah I do actually blame White more than Conor, it's a shame too as for much of the Zuffa era Dana was about as perfect a fight-promoter as you could get (probably leashed by Lorenzo if you look at Dana post the Fertita's).

I just watched the post fight presser... and that Khabib vs Mac 2 fight is all Dana could talk about. It's happening! Regardless of it not being earned by McGregor... who actually wants to watch it? I can not see it playing out any different.

14th loss of Cerrone's MMA career, he shouldn't be headlining a UFC main event...

Massive copout by White, booked this knowing if he'd put Mcgregor in with Masvidal etc and he lost then the money and interest in Mcgregor would have evaporated into thin air...

Latest posts