• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

Just realised UFC's gone PPV here.

Bad move, you gotta imagine...
Only select cards - think up to 5 over the length of the contract. Really they banked on Conor un-retiring and them cashing in.
Really dumb move though, backlash has been massive.

Doesn't help that they've picked two terrible cards to do it on so far. Tonight's has been muck up until this fight.

Poirier got so gassed once his he tried to launch his aggressive assault on Khabib

Khabib still the best at sucking up his opponents energy

I can't see anyone beating Khabib,
His father has said he'll retire at 30-0 and I think he'll make it.

People saying Ferguson will be the one to beat him but I don't see it - I lloovvee T-Ferg but he's way too happy to take damage and let the opposition dictate where the fight happens. 10th planet jiu jitsu/rubber guard is built for fighting off your back but that's against BJJ guys. If Tony goes to the ground with Khabib he's getting ****** up.

Dustin's comments in between rounds were telling. Trains at the best MMA gym in the world, brought in collegiate wrestling champions, Olympic wrestling champions, sambo world champions to train with.
5 minutes with Khabib and he says "I can't get him the **** off of me, man". He just sounded defeated

I agree with the above (ferg part). He is always on the offense. I sincerely cant recall Khabib having to defend a takedown. I really cant, and i've watched most if not all of his fights.
I dont see ferguson gassing out but i cant see him damaging Khabib from his back, bjj black belt or not.
The logical approach would be to try uncharted territory with Khabib and that would be to try take him down.
Sounds suicidal but everything else has been tried and failed.
Even strikers who are head and shoulders better than Khabib "get outboxed" because they are so worried about his takedowns.

I said it before and i would say it again, i am sad a fight between khabib and GSP never happened and prolly never will. Best two take down artists in the history of the sport.
I wouldn't mind seeing Askren vs Khabib either.

I think Khabib would beat Askren pretty handily. Askren has literally zero stand up ability, Khabib could just jab his face off for 25mins if he wanted seeing as he has nothing really to fear from the takedown

Prime GSP vs Khabib is the fight dreams are made of, even if GSP would have a weight advantage (he struggled to make 170 towards the end of his career, technically missing weight for the Diaz fight).

Khabib vs a legit high level wrestler would be interesting. Ferguson is a good wrestler but I mean someone like Gregor Gillespie. It's a shame Khabib will likely retire Gillespie is in a position to challenge for the ***le.

Gaethje is an interesting one. Div 1 All American with great stand up - if he could stuff the takedown while kicking the hell out of khabibs legs it'd be real interesting.
That said it's hard to say what levels Justin's wrestling is at atm - he's almost never used it as an MMA fighter so he might be crap these days after focusing on brawling for so many years.

The reason i mentioned Askren was because he is the first one that came to mind when i thought "who would try to take down anything or anyone you put in front of him, no matter what?". Askren would.
I wanted someone who is relentless and goes all in, no matter what the consequences. Bascially someone who has a shot at putting Khabib on his back.

I dont doubt Khabib would destroy BA boxing, but stopping him from taking him down? I have to be honest, i have no clue. Khabib's defense could be just as good as his offense, but i haven't seen it.
Khabib has always been on offense. Every single time.
I think he's only lost a single round in his entire carreer and even that round is a close call imo. Other than a 1 off punch here and there he has exited pretty much every fight (reasonably) untouched.

I was also thinking, who has a shot of landing on top if khabib tries to take him down. I also think Ben has a shot at that.

I just want to see how khabib deals with pressure when he is on the receiving end.

Let me be clear, my money's with Khabib. For two reasons. Firstly because of the stand up, and then because i think that, even if the chances of landing on top are 50/50 between the two, khabib is capable of inflicting much more damage than Askren once he is on top.

Regarding Khabib calling it a day at 30-0, if fight 29 is going to be Tony Ferguson (good chance) then what do we think for his finale...number 30?

Regarding Khabib calling it a day at 30-0, if fight 29 is going to be Tony Ferguson (good chance) then what do we think for his finale...number 30?
He wants GSP - he was saying last night they should hold the fight in Africa and donate all money from the fight to charity (he spent some time in the last year in Africa digging wells)

GSP has said he'd fight Khabib but I doubt he makes 155, and Khabib has said he's got no interest in going up to 170.

Beyond T-Ferg there's no one that really stands out. Max would've been interesting, considering they almost fought before, but Dustin handled him pretty handily so he's nowhere near that fight.
Prime Aldo would've been incredible as Also has arguably the best TDD in the sport, however (again) he's nowhere near a ***le fight on his current skid.

Hell, maybe Conor comes back and starches the winner of Gathje/Cowboy and they do end up doing a rematch in Moscow.

He wants GSP - he was saying last night they should hold the fight in Africa and donate all money from the fight to charity (he spent some time in the last year in Africa digging wells)

GSP has said he'd fight Khabib but I doubt he makes 155, and Khabib has said he's got no interest in going up to 170.

Beyond T-Ferg there's no one that really stands out. Max would've been interesting, considering they almost fought before, but Dustin handled him pretty handily so he's nowhere near that fight.
Prime Aldo would've been incredible as Also has arguably the best TDD in the sport, however (again) he's nowhere near a ***le fight on his current skid.

Hell, maybe Conor comes back and starches the winner of Gathje/Cowboy and they do end up doing a rematch in Moscow.
Was thinking GSP, not sure I'd want to see that, don't know how 2019/20 GSP compare's to prime GSP...

Gracie vs Swanson was incredible.
I'm a massive Kron fan but real happy for Cub - he's an OG and fought a great fight.

England wins and Masvidal vs Diaz is back on. Oly's best day ever.
How's it back on Cruz?

Edit. No worries just checked MMA Fighting... and exonerated huh, guess USADA's never gone up against a BMFer before!

I enjoyed Maia vs Askren.
Askren is a really weird fighter. I generally dont give a ****, but Askren's body is weird. There are plenty of examples of fat fighters who do really well (fedor comes to mind, but there are plenty more), but every single one of them has a very nasty punch. And when you see mma fighters who come from a high level wrestling background, like olympic level, they are more often than not lean as ****.

Askren has the worst of both worlds. He is fat, flabby slow and the punches like an amish teenager. It's as if he just walked out of mc donalds and decided "hey, lets give this fight a shot". I'm sure his wrestling tecnique is outstanding, but good lord there are areas of improvement in his game.
Still, i am surprised he got choked.