• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

I can't blame the old fella for turning his nose up at Conors (im)proper 12... disgusting stuff... and I'm generally a big fan of Irish whiskey!

I can't blame the old fella for turning his nose up at Conors (im)proper 12... disgusting stuff... and I'm generally a big fan of Irish whiskey!
Fairly sure it's stuff bushmills don't want to sell under their brand. Never tried it, wouldn't want to put a penny in his pocket.

Fairly sure it's stuff bushmills don't want to sell under their brand. Never tried it, wouldn't want to put a penny in his pocket.
Yeah you mentioned that to me in a post during the aftermath of Wales v Ireland in March... I'd finished a 750ml of Jamesons and had a measure or two left in a litre of Prop12 during the match day and was understandably quite groggy the following morning.

Sounds about right... tasted nasty!

Yeah you mentioned that to me in a post during the aftermath of Wales v Ireland in March... I'd finished a 750ml of Jamesons and had a measure or two left in a litre of Prop12 during the match day and was understandably quite groggy the following morning.

Sounds about right... tasted nasty!
Thanks for reminding me... That was a great time!

Weird comeback for Nate - despite a dominant win I didn't think he looked very good.
When Pettis connected he was hurting him, and he lost his legs a couple of times. Gas tank was surprisingly bad as well, considering he's usually the best conditioning in the game.

I think Masvidal beats/finishes him in a 5rd fight

Those body shots from Stipe were b e a utiful

Last edited:
Great card last night, really enjoyed it. Awesome comeback via the switch to body shots by Stipe, nice to see Nate back though I do agree with @TRF_Olyy in that he was nowhere near his best... decent tussle though all the same with some lovely mat work from both fighters and then there was the barnstormer between Costa and Romero! What a fight! Personally saw Romero deserving the win but can just about see it going either way without too much dismay.

Man, Romero performing (& looking) like that at 42... if I was in charge of the WRU I'd pay Romero a decent stipend and put him out 'to stud' in the Welsh Valleys, his genetics are something else!

Yeah I didn't get the booing in Romero vs Costa
Costa definitely won found 1, Romero round 3 - round 2 was close, imo Costa won it but in a situation like that it's not an outrage or a robbery it's just a close fight that could have gone either way.

Was a really hype fight, I was surprised it made it out of the first, after they dropped each other, let alone went the distance. Two science experiments with iron chins, iron fists and zero gas tank just swinging for the fences

So James Haskell has signed with Bellator as a Heavy Weight at 34... I'll definitely be watching his debut.

Not sure how his mum will be able to recognise him without his red cap. Hope he does well. Can easily see him having a career in the media afterwards with his personality and great sense of humour.

Would love to see a six nations MMA league with retired internationals. That would be worth watching! You could even have different weight classes from scrum half to lock!

On second thoughts I'd be very keen to see Haskell v in Dan Biggar in the cage

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaha, mental

They'll feed him some cans who have never laced up gloves before so he gets a couple of easy wins then he'll retire at 3-0 or something

The lad they wheeled out for Jack Swagger (who has a legit collegiate wrestling background - Div 1 All American, college record for most pins) was a 329lb meat processing plant worker who had to take holiday off from work to fight.
The chances of Haskell going up against someone who knows how to throw a punch are very slim.

The lad they wheeled out for Jack Swagger (who has a legit collegiate wrestling background - Div 1 All American, college record for most pins) was a 329lb meat processing plant worker who had to take holiday off from work to fight.
The chances of Haskell going up against someone who knows how to throw a punch are very slim.

Maybe they should build to an eventual meeting between Swagger and Haskell.

Has Haskell even done MMA before? I dont mean professionally but has it been known that he trains even for fitness? Or is this just out of the blue?

Wade going to NFL alot of the skills are transferable, Hask going to MMA they arnt really, fitness and physicality maybe but it takes years of training to not get your arse handed to you. And the big lad doesnt always win, hell hes going as heavy weight so there will be bigger lads around.

Is this just a pay day for him now hes finished rugby before he becomes a coach or ends up hosting rugby tonight haha

Been training off and on for about 5 years, I think.
He's done broadcasting work with bellator and cage warriors in the past,
Definitely a fan of the sport, just weird to see a guy in his mid 30s who recently had to retire due to repeated injuries going into a sport notorious for bad injuries and impacts

Has Haskell even done MMA before? I dont mean professionally but has it been known that he trains even for fitness? Or is this just out of the blue?

Wade going to NFL alot of the skills are transferable, Hask going to MMA they arnt really, fitness and physicality maybe but it takes years of training to not get your arse handed to you. And the big lad doesnt always win, hell hes going as heavy weight so there will be bigger lads around.

Is this just a pay day for him now hes finished rugby before he becomes a coach or ends up hosting rugby tonight haha

Been doing a lot of BJJ for years and trains at MVP's gym.

Latest posts