• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mike Phillips sacked

Exactly...which is why I said it's not related to his performances....
I've only ever heard journeyman used to describe a player who's had a lot of clubs.

Most capped Welsh player ever, 2 Grand Slams, Lions starter on 2 tours, success at 2 top European clubs and led a dwindling one with no front 5 to a H Cup semi final. Which of those parts of his history exactly suggests he's a journeyman?

So I put a compliment up about a player I have great respect for and someone takes offence...typical

So I put a compliment up about a player I have great respect for and someone takes offence...typical

You should enjoy it! Watch this.

Do you know who wasn't a journeyman? ROG.....

In all seriousness it's hard to say whether Welsh players in France has been a success or not, the only players you can really judge are Jones, who's year in France was great for him and Wales and is probably the best journeyman of all time ;). Byrne, who plays great rugby for Clermont but the emergence of Leigh Halfpenny was timed very badly for him, Hook, ok but I think he was overrated for a long while he was great when he was younger but always a bit of a Jack of all trades Master of none type player, he's coming good now though. And Jenkins, absolute disaster due to not being the best player in his position at his club. Roberts and Lydiate are only in Racing a few months and I think I'm right in saying they've both had injury problems, it's too early to judge them now.

BBC News
Wales rugby international Mike Phillips is planning legal proceedings against Bayonne following his sacking.

The 77-times capped scrum half said he was frustrated by the club's actions.
"As a result of discussions with my legal team in France I have now instructed them to issue proceedings against Aviron Bayonnais Rugby Club through the French judicial system," he said in a statement.
Phillips, 31, was accused of turning up for training drunk.
Phillips appeared before the Bayonne board on Tuesday, 22 October, to answer allegations he turned up to a video analysis session under the influence of alcohol.
Two fellow players, New Zealand back row Dwayne Haare and fly-half Stephen Brett, also had to answer allegations at that meeting and were fined but not suspended.
On 24 October Phillips apologised in French to Bayonne fans "for this situation" on his Twitter account,(external) adding: "I am behind the team wholeheartedly. Good luck."
Phillips joined Bayonne from Ospreys in 2011 and was under contract with the French Top 14 club until June 2014.
His statement in full says:
"I am extremely disappointed and frustrated by the decision taken by Aviron Bayonnais Rugby Club to terminate my employment. I was also disappointed by the fact that I officially heard about my dismissal through an interview given in a French newspaper this morning.
"As a result of discussions with my legal team in France I have now instructed them to issue proceedings against Aviron Bayonnais Rugby Club through the French judicial system.
"I will not make any additional comments on this matter and any communication regarding the status of my claims will be made through them.
"I wish to thank my team mates and the many friends I have made in the Basque Country for their help and kindness over the past two seasons.
"I will now wholeheartedly concentrate all my energy and efforts on training with Wales and try to earn a place in the match day squad to help Wales have a successful Autumn campaign against South Africa, Australia, Argentina and Tonga."
Phillips is in coach Warren Gatland's Wales squad for the autumn internationals which kick off against South Africa on 9 November.

What is he suing for? His job back? or, like, severance pay or something?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out

What is he suing for? His job back? or, like, severance pay or something?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out

Sarcasm alert

I imagine it is for the pay he would have earned up until June 2014 that they have taken away from him by their misguided premature sacking due to his inability to hold his booze after drinking for about 18 hours.................yes, I would say that he has a great case especially as he will find it impossible to find an alternative employment to mitigate his losses as he needs approximately 3 months holiday (to play for Wales) and the season ends one month before his contract leaving him just 3 months to actually play for any side stupid enough to take on someone who cannot hold his booze.................

Could he be suing for how the story came out, how it damages his 'brand name' and his employability etc? Its releasing pretty damming information through an official channel.

Can see him either taking a big offer from an English club or at least taking a short term stint back at the Ospreys. Not sure on what sort of terms he left there, but I haven't been fully convinced with the SHs at the Ospreys so far.

Big offer?
Can't think of an English club that a) need a 9, b) have big money to spend on said 9, c) would want the baggage right now

Big offer?
Can't think of an English club that a) need a 9, b) have big money to spend on said 9, c) would want the baggage right now
I hear Irish suddenly have some money. :huh:

Big offer?

Big is anything bigger than what the Welsh regions can afford, which isn't big for some English clubs.

I don't see baggage as an issue. Gavin Henson is still around and he has had a few similar stupid incidents. Matt Stevens is still playing.

Finding a suitable club I can agree with you, but who knows.

Could he be suing for how the story came out, how it damages his 'brand name' and his employability etc? Its releasing pretty damming information through an official channel.

Can see him either taking a big offer from an English club or at least taking a short term stint back at the Ospreys. Not sure on what sort of terms he left there, but I haven't been fully convinced with the SHs at the Ospreys so far.

No thanks.

Add onto Olyy's points, he's also become pretty **** on the field and headed downhill, misses 2 and a half months of a season through Wales and was dreadful in his last stint there as well. A club would have to be truly half witted to consider signing him at his likely asking price, if there aren't any clubs stupid enough to sign him he will be forced to take a pay cut. I still don't see much logic in any team wanting him though, there are dozens of better scrum halves available cheaper, away from internationals and without a repeated track record of being an alcoholic.

Doesn't compare with Henson, as he has actually never been arrested or had as serious incidents of assault like Phillips and also is a vastly superior player who would fit right into far more teams game plans in multiple positions than Phillips who only has ever had real success playing a physical Gatlandball game. Henson is however far more injury prone on top of it all though and barely gets a full season together though, hence why he had to go to a weak team like London Welsh. Phillips will likely have to do the same.

Last edited:
I agree that he won't get his current wage for the reasons that you and Olly say. But, I still think he will be to expensive for the regions in the long term, with the 3.5 mill salary cap to consider as well. I probably shouldn't have used the term big offer, as that was misleading haha. As we've just seen with London Irish, Prem teams do have the resources to splash out (I am not comparing the player caliber!).

I'm not comparing Henson as a player really, I think the point I was making is that players have been through controversies through drink or drugs and teams will still invest in players. One of Phillip's lowest moments was the run in with the bouncer, but he still managed to get a large contract following this. Perhaps his form was better, but then he has recently had a decent Lions tour, albeit playing Gatland's way, so it depends on how teams might want to play.

Now official Mr Richard Head alias Phillips is taking legal action against Bayonne hope he was sober when he sought out his legal team or he could have eVen bigger problems those being also expensive.

I am told that Phillips will continue his legal case against Bayonne and there is a big chance that he will win it as the club did not have any evidence, i.e. Breathalyser, that he was indeed under the influence!!

Oh and Lorenzetti is reported to have said if he "can play as well as that when he is hungover, I want all my players hungover"!!!

Latest posts