McCall calling for a Under 23 league

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester

Sounds like all the DOR agree so reckon it will be added soon.

Tigers U23 team of
1. Whitcombe, 2. Dolly, 3. Heyes
4. Chessum, 5. Henderson
6. Martin, 7. Reffell, 8. Ilione
9. JVP, 10. Meredith
12. Kelly, 13. Woodward
11. Browning, 14. Cusick, 15. Steward

Would be pretty decent

Yeah, I like that idea a lot, especially as the 'A' League became more of a journeyman league rather than a development one by the end - though I think they should up the academy salary cap so that teams can have more youngsters on the books so that you wouldn't encounter a situation where teams might hold back players from the seniors to fulfil u23 games (i.e. for Sale I'd wanna see Gus Warr as backup to Raffi - but then that's two u23 players in the seniors, so would they actually play Cliff as 2nd choice and have Warr in the u23s etc.)

Edit:

Rodd, Ashman, Harper,
Postlethwaite, Groves,
Curry, Curry, Dugdale
Quirke, Wilkinson,
Reed, Doherty, Metcalf, Roebuck,
James

(Currys turn 24 in the off season so substitute with Caine/Murphy/Birch if we're being pedantic)

Last edited:
Really no academy player (or player under 23 who wasn't in a prem clubs academy previously) should be capped.

The alternative would be I guess something like all players earning Under £100,000 and Under 23 be cap excluded. With a 2 year buffer That would mean half the wage doesn't cap for 2 years after they turn 23.

This is probably the best U23 side Quins could put out (minus a scrum half). Obviously Smith, Kenningham, Murley and Lynagh almost certainly wouldn't play but it would be good for our high potential players like Baxter, Riley and Beard to get more opportunities.

1. Baxter
2. Riley
3. Wilson
4. Hammond
5. Jurevicius
6. Alikhan
7. Kenningham
8. Trenholm
9. ?
10. Smith
11. Murley
12. Anyanwu
13. Beard
14. Lynagh
15. David

More definitely needs to be done tbh, because unless they can compete for first team places we often see young players at u21 light up the six nations and then for the next few years struggle to play regular decent rugby. A path to continue to develop and play against other young players will be better than the occasional bench or cup appearance. Definitely logistical issue to sort, but hopefully something can be made that works.

Anything to avoid proper funding, supporting and integration of the Championship - Premiership must rule everything!

Harlequins only had 3 players on loan or DR to London Scottish this season lol and it won't really change that much.

Clubs will never loan out more than 3 players in that 21-23 bracket because reality is those players are now 3rd choices in many positions and need to be kept in case of injuries.

Example is Tigers have 22 year old Will Hurd he's 3rd choice Tighthead he's someone who needs game time but we won't loan because 1 injury and he's needed

Harlequins only had 3 players on loan or DR to London Scottish this season lol and it won't really change that much.

Clubs will never loan out more than 3 players in that 21-23 bracket because reality is those players are now 3rd choices in many positions and need to be kept in case of injuries.

Example is Tigers have 22 year old Will Hurd he's 3rd choice Tighthead he's someone who needs game time but we won't loan because 1 injury and he's needed

Expect that go up much more next year - most players who went out to Richmond and Scottish this year trained with quins anyway, it was just a game time thing. With Joe Gray in charge of Scottish now, I expect our academy and fring players to be with them much more moving forward

It won't go up much more though.

It's not a new thing most clubs already have these partnerships in place I know what the deal is because Tigers has had the exact same with Nottingham and at most 5 players will go a season like most other clubs do.
Clubs can't afford to have much more with the shrinking squad size.

I heard some clubs were turning down loanees last season - would rather just build with their own squad than have the disruption
It's not a new thing most clubs already have these partnerships in place I know what the deal is because Tigers has had the exact same with Nottingham and at most 5 players will go a season like most other clubs do.
Sale have had them with Donny and Leeds in the past, and sounds like we will with Caldy next season,
Usually they're more a sharing of coaching staff and training sessions than anything

There are limits to loanee players in the Championship, anyway - think 6? not sure if that's averaged over the season or at a time or whatever, though

Under 23 league sounds great tbh it and its what i have thought the A League should be for a while.

I wanted the a league to have rules on selection for example,

Up to 5 players over 23 - 3 starting 2 bench(used for injury returnees and getting the under 23s playing with some more experienced players)

Captain must be in the under 23 category

I potential rule of under 25s can come in the under 23 catagory if they have not had more than x amount of first team appearances for any club in the last x amount of years (to bennefit later developing players especially seen as more gametime for under 23s may have an affect on the 24 25 year olds that cant play u23 but arnt yet good/experienced enough for the 1st time.)

The prem and championship will never be full partners, as Tigs said they can only afford to give a few players as they need them to fill the squad.

The prem and championship will never be full partners, as Tigs said they can only afford to give a few players as they need them to fill the squad.
Of course - that's not what "partnership" means, that's "feudal lord, and subject".

The Prem and Champ will never be partners because the Prem has spent the last 20-odd year waging war against the Championship, and are confident they've already killed them with the wage cap rise in 2015ish.
Let's face it, we wouldn't be seeing a reduction in the Prem salary cap if they felt the Championship was a viable, professional outfit.

Of course - that's not what "partnership" means, that's "feudal lord, and subject".

The Prem and Champ will never be partners because the Prem has spent the last 20-odd year waging war against the Championship, and are confident they've already killed them with the wage cap rise in 2015ish.
Let's face it, we wouldn't be seeing a reduction in the Prem salary cap if they felt the Championship was a viable, professional outfit.
I wish it was a viable professional outfit but its not and given the current climate of the game i like the under 23 idea and obv my proposed ideas. Others may not :)

Does the pro 14 broadcasting deal give money to the second tier league aswell? Im sure i read this?

Would love something like that but rugby does have enough interest it seems or prem is too greedy who knows.

But if the rules were altered to say he could be called up to cover injuries then I would work.
U23 could all be dual registered and be able to swap back and forth to get match experience.

Sounds like all the DOR agree so reckon it will be added soon.

Tigers U23 team of
1. Whitcombe, 2. Dolly, 3. Heyes
4. Chessum, 5. Henderson
6. Martin, 7. Reffell, 8. Ilione
9. JVP, 10. Meredith
12. Kelly, 13. Woodward
11. Browning, 14. Cusick, 15. Steward

Would be pretty decent
Blatantly just reading what I was saying in the "Leinster are literally the greatest team ever and nothing should be done to stop them" thread.

But yeah, the espoirs league is a god system to follow, Toulouse have a great Espoirs system and it's definitely part of the reason why they're the best and most consistent French side.

But if the rules were altered to say he could be called up to cover injuries then I would work.
U23 could all be dual registered and be able to swap back and forth to get match experience.
That's what happens now (i.e. we recalled Wilkinson and Curtis from Rotherham and Coventry when AJ and Du Preez were injured)
That's probably why clubs aren't as keen to take on loanees atm because you can't guarantee they'll be there

That's what happens now (i.e. we recalled Wilkinson and Curtis from Rotherham and Coventry when AJ and Du Preez were injured)
That's probably why clubs aren't as keen to take on loanees atm because you can't guarantee they'll be there
Agreed, but if there was more formal links between Prem and Champ clubs, (effectively feeder clubs), then there might be less of an issue.
Also, less matches in both prem and champs would help as there would be more time for rest and less injuries.

My season would be rearranged to have an international season ALWAYS in late September and October, (RWC dates), with a development comp at the same time. This would mean the younger players would effectively be playing for a prem contract, or a champ contract. Restricting the number of senior players would also help.

Less matches = less money though.

Anyone know again how many clubs are financially stable without a wealthy backer? I don't think it's many if any. Rugby is in a difficult place where it is juggling player welfare, a desire to grow and attempting to keep rugby financially stable.

I think it used to be three, but I don't think Chiefs are anymore (their main sponsor being Rowe's company is just sugar daddy with extra steps)

Latest posts